Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Highest Total Scores of The Season

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720

    Highest Total Scores of The Season

    MEN

    Chan......................259.75 GPF
    Kozuka...................248.07 TEB
    Oda........................242.81 GPF
    Chan......................239.52 SC
    Kozuka...................237.79 GPF
    Oda........................236.52 SC
    Takahashi...............234.79 NHK
    Kozuka...................233.51 COC
    Rippon....................233.04 SC
    Verner....................230.31 COR
    Amodio...................229.38 TEB
    Chan......................227.21 COR
    Takahashi...............227.07 SA
    Oda.......................226.09 SA
    Takahashi...............219.77 GPF
    Reynolds.................218.65 SC
    Abbott....................218.19 NHK
    Abbott....................217.21 COR
    Mroz.......................216.80 COC
    Verner....................214.81 COC
    Mroz.......................214.31 TEB
    Amodio....................213.77 NHK
    Verner.....................213.64 GPF
    Mahbanoozadeh........211.17 SA
    Fernandez................210.85 SC
    Joubert....................210.29 COC


    LADIES

    Czisny.....................180.75 GPF
    Kostner...................178.60 GPF
    Murakami.................178.59 GPF
    Ando.......................174.47 COR
    Suzuki......................173.72 GPF
    Ando........................173.15 GPF
    Suzuki......................172.74 COR
    Czisny......................172.37 SC
    Ando........................172.21 COC
    Korpi........................169.74 TEB
    Nagasu.....................167.79 TEB
    Wagner.....................167.02 COR
    Makarova..................165.00 SC
    Czisny......................159.80 TEB
    Murakami..................154.93 SA
    Suzuki......................162.86 COC
    Flatt........................162,86 SA
    Kostner....................164.61 NHK
    Flatt........................161.04 NHK
    Lacoste....................157.26 SC
    Phaneuf....................156.24 SC
    Phaneuf....................155.11 TEB
    Kostner.....................154.87 SA
    Imai..........................154.54 SC
    Zawadzki...................154.35 SC
    Zawadski...................153.78 COR
    Marchei.....................153.71 COR
    Biryukova..................153.05 COR
    Samson.....................152.05 SC
    Makrova....................150.45 COR
    Murakami...................150.16 NHK
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-02-2011 at 01:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    MEN

    Chan......................259.75 GPF
    Kozuka...................248.07 TEB
    Oda........................242.81 GPF
    Chan......................239.52 SC
    Kozuka...................237.79 GPF
    Oda........................236.52 SC
    Takahashi...............234.79 NHK
    Kozuka...................233.51 COC
    Rippon....................233.04 SC
    Verner....................230.31 COR
    Amodio...................229.38 TEB
    Chan......................227.21 COR
    Takahashi...............227.07 SA
    Oda.......................226.09 SA
    Takahashi...............219.77 GPF
    Reynolds.................218.65 SC
    Abbott....................218.19 NHK
    Abbott....................217.21 COR
    Mroz.......................216.80 COC
    Verner....................214.81 COC
    Mroz.......................214.31 TEB
    Amodio....................213.77 NHK
    Verner.....................213.64 GPF
    Mahbanoozadeh........211.17 SA
    Fernandez................210.85 SC
    Joubert....................210.29 COC
    Thanks skateFiguring for opening these threads and putting the records together!

    I've seen several things through this set of numbers:

    First, Skate Canada has given higher scores in general cross the board than NHK and COC have, not only given high scores to Chan.

    Second, Abbott has received such low, unacceptable scores, especially in NHK, which was almost a "crime". Don't know what was wrong about Abbott in the judges' eyes? I think it might be that he didn't attack each element powerfully enough? Even if that was the reason, his LP in NHK and his SP in COR deserved much higher scores at least in PCS.

    Third, Kozuka has come out of the shadow of Takahashi and Oda.

    Fourth, the front runners in the world now are three Japanese men Kozuka, Takahashi, Oda, and Canada's Chan.

    Fifth, so far it seems that the judges are willing to let Joubert go. Let's see if Joubert could put himself together and make a statement at Europeans. He's done it before.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 01-02-2011 at 10:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Thanks skateFiguring for opening these threads and putting the records together!

    I've seen several things through this set of numbers:
    Ah, I've been waiting for someone to state the obvious from these compilations so far, which are more focused on the LP. But of course we all know Oda won all the SP golds this season.

    First, Skate Canada has given high scores in general cross the board than NHK and COC, not only given high scores to Chan.
    Very obvious now with other competitions to compare.

    Second, Abbott has received such low, unacceptable scores, especially in NHK, which was almost a "crime". Don't know what was wrong about Abbott in the judges' eyes? I think it might be that he didn't attack each element powerful enough? Even if that was the reason, his LP in NHK and his SP in COR deserved much higher scores at least in PCS.
    NHK gave out the lowest scores, being the first competition when no top competitors actually performed that well, including the reigning WC and winner of the event. Abbott hasn't exactly brought it this season. COR, another low scoring competition, saw the top two falter to give the Gold to a lesser skater. Abbott tends to do best at the home continent, which he hasn't a chance to do yet. He also tends to melt down at major international events. He seems calmer and more settled this year but his poor performance in COR is not a good sign, indicating he's a lot of mind work still to do. Lack of confidence does not sell a program well. Contrast him with Takahashi, who goes out there to sell with full force no matter his physical and mental conditions or his technical readiness. I think Abbott has an excellent LP but he has to work its technical content well. The SP is mixed in reactions received and that may be the case with the judges too.

    Third, Kozuka has come out of the shadow of Takahashi and Oda.
    I never considered him in the shadow, just younger and less seasoned. He has all aspects of a champion skater so he just has to bring it on the day. However, in my breakdown of this season's competions and potentials, his up side seems more limited than the other 3 main contenders. i.e. his TEB performance has near maxed out the program, which, of course, can still be tweaked for more points and he needs to get higher PCS. OTOH, his breaking through 80 points bodes well for continued higher PCS.

    Fourth, the front runners in the world now are three Japanese men Kozuka, Takahashi, Oda, and Canada's Chan.
    Another obvious observation. I don't like to predict/jinx but my pre GPF compilations showed me clearly Chan had the highest potential to win it. These sets of numbers too indicate him to be the front runner, especially taking into consideration of his trajectory in this season of amazing progress. He is head to head in PCS with Takahashi and on top of TES with Kozuka, at least in the LP. The ice is slippery. The mind is even more slippery. But he seems to be mentally very strong to me, more so than Oda and maybe a little more confident than Kozuka who is catching up this season in that department.

    Fifth, so far it seems that the judges are willing to let Joubert go. Let's see if Joubert could put himself together and make a statement at Europeans. He's done it before.
    Joubert is letting himself go. The judges repeatedly gave him PCS much higher than his TES to keep him off embarassingly low placements. At TEB, his performance was so miserable he had to withdraw. Joubert's competitive strength comes mainly from his quads for TES and Personal Charisma for PCS. His quads, as seen from these compiled numbers, are now so low in reliability and score so low compared to the top skaters as well as a bunch of new comers. Another huge difference maker is that these current and future top skaters have their quads as additions to their programs packed with features of high level footwork and spins. I laughed when I read some of Joubert's fans, who hated Chan and didn't bother to watch his new programs, complained and wondered how he could still get high PCS when his transitions had got to go now that he's doing quads!

    I have some thoughts/speculation about Joubert's mental state that I don't want to get into now. Suffice to say, as the representing Manly Skater, his psych is rather fragile in my observation and opinion.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-02-2011 at 06:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I think Abbott has an excellent LP but he has to work its technical content well. The SP is mixed in reactions received and that may be the case with the judges too.
    I like both his SP and LP. I think his LP is rather simple and slow paced compared with his last year's LP. It's excellent in telling story but I agree that its technical content needs to be added.

    On the contrary to the LP, his SP is packed. Other than no quad in it, I think his SP scores ought to be much higher at least in SS, IN, PE, CH, TR. I have to say that this SP's all 5 elements in PCS are excellent. If the judges (and those of you who didn't like his SP at the first sight) watch this program for 5 more times, they might change their mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Joubert is letting himself go. The judges repeatedly gave him PCS much higher than his TES to keep him off embarassingly low placements. At TEB, his performance was so miserable he had to withdraw. Joubert's competitive strength comes mainly from his quads for TES and Personal Charisma for PCS. His quads, as seen from these compiled numbers, are now so low in reliability and score so low compared to the top skaters as well as a bunch of new comers. Another huge difference maker is that these current and future top skaters have their quads as additions to their programs packed with features of high level footwork and spins. I laughed when I read some of Joubert's fans, who hated Chan and didn't bother to watch his new programs, complained and wondered how he could still get high PCS when his transitions had got to go now that he's doing quads!

    I have some thoughts/speculation about Joubert's mental state that I don't want to get into now. Suffice to say, as the representing Manly Skater, his psych is rather fragile in my observation and opinion.
    I agree with some of the assessments here, but can't see how Joubert was letting himself go in COC? The judges were nitpicking and piled up all sorts of accusations which have never happened to Brian before if I'm not mistaken. Setting aside whether or not he deserved those PCSes, he has always had them. Now suddenly the judges didn't want to give it to him any more.

    COC was a let-down. I would wonder myself whether the judges have given up on me if I were him. His TEB SP was disastrous and his Nationals didn't hold him well even though he's won it. I hope he could bunce back in Euros. Who knows? My heart is heavy just to think about him.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I like both his SP and LP. I think his LP is rather simple and slow paced compared with his last year's LP. It's excellent in telling story but I agree that its technical content needs to be added.

    On the contrary to the LP, his SP is packed. Other than no quad in it, I think his SP scores ought to be much higher at least in SS, IN, PE, CH, TR. I have to say that this SP's all 5 elements in PCS are excellent. If the judges (and those of you who didn't like his SP at the first sight) watch this program for 5 more times, they might change their mind.
    I think Jeremy's LP is wonderful and packed with nuances and more subtle moves that may not be so obvious or exciting enough for some fans. Judges should appciate its sophistication and difficulty though. However, he has had issues with the technical elements of this program, messing up his spin in NHK and making too many mistakes in COR.

    His SP, OTOH, is jam packed alright, but not necessarily all with moves relating to the ice. Also, it seems many people dislike his costume so that could be another distraction he doesn't need.

    I agree with some of the assessments here, but can't see how Joubert was letting himself go in COC? The judges were nitpicking and piled up all sorts of accusations which have never happened to Brian before if I'm not mistaken. Setting aside whether or not he deserved those PCSes, he has always had them. Now suddenly the judges didn't want to give it to him any more.

    COC was a let-down. I would wonder myself whether the judges have given up on me if I were him. His TEB SP was disastrous and his Nationals didn't hold him well even though he's won it. I hope he could bunce back in Euros. Who knows? My heart is heavy just to think about him.
    Joubert simply has too many issues but I don't want to make your heart any heavier. So, my best wishes to him and to you.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    His SP, OTOH, is jam packed alright, but not necessarily all with moves relating to the ice. Also, it seems many people dislike his costume so that could be another distraction he doesn't need.
    But... I don't think that IN, CH, and PE are about the moves related to the ice. If we were talking about SS and TR in his COR's SP, what could anyone pick out which was not wonderfully excuted besides that slowed-down spin before footwork sequence?(To be precise, slow-downed spin is not included in SS and TR.)



    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Joubert simply has too many issues but I don't want to make your heart any heavier. So, my best wishes to him and to you.
    Thanks. I respect your decision for not wanting to lay out all the issues. Just want to let you know that I probably know what you're holding back and I can take it in any way.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 01-03-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •