Mroz.......................216.80 COC
Verner....................214.81 COC
Mroz.......................214.31 TEB
Amodio....................213.77 NHK
Verner.....................213.64 GPF
Mahbanoozadeh........211.17 SA
Fernandez................210.85 SC
Joubert....................210.29 COC

Thanks skateFiguring for opening these threads and putting the records together!

I've seen several things through this set of numbers:

First, Skate Canada has given higher scores in general cross the board than NHK and COC have, not only given high scores to Chan.

Second, Abbott has received such low, unacceptable scores, especially in NHK, which was almost a "crime". Don't know what was wrong about Abbott in the judges' eyes? I think it might be that he didn't attack each element powerfully enough? Even if that was the reason, his LP in NHK and his SP in COR deserved much higher scores at least in PCS.

Third, Kozuka has come out of the shadow of Takahashi and Oda.

Fourth, the front runners in the world now are three Japanese men Kozuka, Takahashi, Oda, and Canada's Chan.

Fifth, so far it seems that the judges are willing to let Joubert go.:cry: Let's see if Joubert could put himself together and make a statement at Europeans. He's done it before.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks skateFiguring for opening these threads and putting the records together!

I've seen several things through this set of numbers:

Ah, I've been waiting for someone to state the obvious from these compilations so far, which are more focused on the LP. But of course we all know Oda won all the SP golds this season.

First, Skate Canada has given high scores in general cross the board than NHK and COC, not only given high scores to Chan.

Very obvious now with other competitions to compare.

Second, Abbott has received such low, unacceptable scores, especially in NHK, which was almost a "crime". Don't know what was wrong about Abbott in the judges' eyes? I think it might be that he didn't attack each element powerful enough? Even if that was the reason, his LP in NHK and his SP in COR deserved much higher scores at least in PCS.

NHK gave out the lowest scores, being the first competition when no top competitors actually performed that well, including the reigning WC and winner of the event. Abbott hasn't exactly brought it this season. COR, another low scoring competition, saw the top two falter to give the Gold to a lesser skater. Abbott tends to do best at the home continent, which he hasn't a chance to do yet. He also tends to melt down at major international events. He seems calmer and more settled this year but his poor performance in COR is not a good sign, indicating he's a lot of mind work still to do. Lack of confidence does not sell a program well. Contrast him with Takahashi, who goes out there to sell with full force no matter his physical and mental conditions or his technical readiness. I think Abbott has an excellent LP but he has to work its technical content well. The SP is mixed in reactions received and that may be the case with the judges too.

Third, Kozuka has come out of the shadow of Takahashi and Oda.

I never considered him in the shadow, just younger and less seasoned. He has all aspects of a champion skater so he just has to bring it on the day. However, in my breakdown of this season's competions and potentials, his up side seems more limited than the other 3 main contenders. i.e. his TEB performance has near maxed out the program, which, of course, can still be tweaked for more points and he needs to get higher PCS. OTOH, his breaking through 80 points bodes well for continued higher PCS.

Fourth, the front runners in the world now are three Japanese men Kozuka, Takahashi, Oda, and Canada's Chan.

Another obvious observation. I don't like to predict/jinx but my pre GPF compilations showed me clearly Chan had the highest potential to win it. These sets of numbers too indicate him to be the front runner, especially taking into consideration of his trajectory in this season of amazing progress. He is head to head in PCS with Takahashi and on top of TES with Kozuka, at least in the LP. The ice is slippery. The mind is even more slippery. But he seems to be mentally very strong to me, more so than Oda and maybe a little more confident than Kozuka who is catching up this season in that department.

Fifth, so far it seems that the judges are willing to let Joubert go.:cry: Let's see if Joubert could put himself together and make a statement at Europeans. He's done it before.

Joubert is letting himself go. The judges repeatedly gave him PCS much higher than his TES to keep him off embarassingly low placements. At TEB, his performance was so miserable he had to withdraw. Joubert's competitive strength comes mainly from his quads for TES and Personal Charisma for PCS. His quads, as seen from these compiled numbers, are now so low in reliability and score so low compared to the top skaters as well as a bunch of new comers. Another huge difference maker is that these current and future top skaters have their quads as additions to their programs packed with features of high level footwork and spins. I laughed when I read some of Joubert's fans, who hated Chan and didn't bother to watch his new programs, complained and wondered how he could still get high PCS when his transitions had got to go now that he's doing quads!

I have some thoughts/speculation about Joubert's mental state that I don't want to get into now. Suffice to say, as the representing Manly Skater, his psych is rather fragile in my observation and opinion.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think Abbott has an excellent LP but he has to work its technical content well. The SP is mixed in reactions received and that may be the case with the judges too.

I like both his SP and LP. I think his LP is rather simple and slow paced compared with his last year's LP. It's excellent in telling story but I agree that its technical content needs to be added.

On the contrary to the LP, his SP is packed. Other than no quad in it, I think his SP scores ought to be much higher at least in SS, IN, PE, CH, TR. I have to say that this SP's all 5 elements in PCS are excellent. If the judges (and those of you who didn't like his SP at the first sight) watch this program for 5 more times, they might change their mind.:laugh:

Joubert is letting himself go. The judges repeatedly gave him PCS much higher than his TES to keep him off embarassingly low placements. At TEB, his performance was so miserable he had to withdraw. Joubert's competitive strength comes mainly from his quads for TES and Personal Charisma for PCS. His quads, as seen from these compiled numbers, are now so low in reliability and score so low compared to the top skaters as well as a bunch of new comers. Another huge difference maker is that these current and future top skaters have their quads as additions to their programs packed with features of high level footwork and spins. I laughed when I read some of Joubert's fans, who hated Chan and didn't bother to watch his new programs, complained and wondered how he could still get high PCS when his transitions had got to go now that he's doing quads!

I have some thoughts/speculation about Joubert's mental state that I don't want to get into now. Suffice to say, as the representing Manly Skater, his psych is rather fragile in my observation and opinion.

I agree with some of the assessments here, but can't see how Joubert was letting himself go in COC? The judges were nitpicking and piled up all sorts of accusations which have never happened to Brian before if I'm not mistaken. Setting aside whether or not he deserved those PCSes, he has always had them. Now suddenly the judges didn't want to give it to him any more.

COC was a let-down. I would wonder myself whether the judges have given up on me if I were him. His TEB SP was disastrous and his Nationals didn't hold him well even though he's won it. I hope he could bunce back in Euros. Who knows? My heart is heavy just to think about him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I like both his SP and LP. I think his LP is rather simple and slow paced compared with his last year's LP. It's excellent in telling story but I agree that its technical content needs to be added.

On the contrary to the LP, his SP is packed. Other than no quad in it, I think his SP scores ought to be much higher at least in SS, IN, PE, CH, TR. I have to say that this SP's all 5 elements in PCS are excellent. If the judges (and those of you who didn't like his SP at the first sight) watch this program for 5 more times, they might change their mind.:laugh:

I think Jeremy's LP is wonderful and packed with nuances and more subtle moves that may not be so obvious or exciting enough for some fans. Judges should appciate its sophistication and difficulty though. However, he has had issues with the technical elements of this program, messing up his spin in NHK and making too many mistakes in COR.

His SP, OTOH, is jam packed alright, but not necessarily all with moves relating to the ice. ;) Also, it seems many people dislike his costume so that could be another distraction he doesn't need.

I agree with some of the assessments here, but can't see how Joubert was letting himself go in COC? The judges were nitpicking and piled up all sorts of accusations which have never happened to Brian before if I'm not mistaken. Setting aside whether or not he deserved those PCSes, he has always had them. Now suddenly the judges didn't want to give it to him any more.

COC was a let-down. I would wonder myself whether the judges have given up on me if I were him. His TEB SP was disastrous and his Nationals didn't hold him well even though he's won it. I hope he could bunce back in Euros. Who knows? My heart is heavy just to think about him.

Joubert simply has too many issues but I don't want to make your heart any heavier. So, my best wishes to him and to you.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
His SP, OTOH, is jam packed alright, but not necessarily all with moves relating to the ice. ;) Also, it seems many people dislike his costume so that could be another distraction he doesn't need.

But... I don't think that IN, CH, and PE are about the moves related to the ice.:) If we were talking about SS and TR in his COR's SP, what could anyone pick out which was not wonderfully excuted besides that slowed-down spin before footwork sequence?:confused:(To be precise, slow-downed spin is not included in SS and TR.)

Joubert simply has too many issues but I don't want to make your heart any heavier. So, my best wishes to him and to you.

Thanks. I respect your decision for not wanting to lay out all the issues. Just want to let you know that I probably know what you're holding back and I can take it in any way.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
As can be seen from my many posts, I'm definitely a fan of Jeremy Abbott. With the discussion about him here, I went to rewatch his performances except for the error filled COR LP. Again I thoroughly enjoyed his NHK LP and he seemed to enjoy himself there too. However, he singled his 3A and with an UR called, his TES was low. His LP actually came in 3rd. He forfeited a SP spin entirely at NHK but rectfied it into a level 4 at COR. Good for him. His PCS are actually consistent and very good for all 4 performances. I think he could probably raise his PCS by raising his TES. The Nationals should be no problem for him and we'll likely get to see his LP performed to its potential. Then we'll see how he does at Worlds.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
As can be seen from my many posts, I'm definitely a fan of Jeremy Abbott. With the discussion about him here, I went to rewatch his performances except for the error filled COR LP. Again I thoroughly enjoyed his NHK LP and he seemed to enjoy himself there too. However, he singled his 3A and with an UR called, his TES was low. His LP actually came in 3rd. He forfeited a SP spin entirely at NHK but rectfied it into a level 4 at COR. Good for him. His PCS are actually consistent and very good for all 4 performances. I think he could probably raise his PCS by raising his TES. The Nationals should be no problem for him and we'll likely get to see his LP performed to its potential. Then we'll see how he does at Worlds.

I enjoyed his LP very much too. There were many sparkly movements there as of all his programs in the latest a couple of seasons. His PCS was consistently on the low side. If it were 5 - 8 points higher than he has actually gotten in any of his programs, I wouldn't think it's outragous.

I believe you are right on raising his TES in order to raising his PCS. However, there were many skaters who have had high PCS when TES was low from time to time. Abbott was not one of them. He has to prove himself in front of international judges that he is capable of having high TES, then high PCS will follow. And then he'll have higher PCS much more easily in the subsequent competitions.:p

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
UPDATE:

MEN

Chan......................259.75 GPF
Kozuka...................248.07 TEB
Oda........................242.81 GPF
Chan......................239.52 SC
Kozuka...................237.79 GPF
Oda........................236.52 SC
Takahashi...............234.79 NHK
Kozuka...................233.51 COC
Rippon....................233.04 SC
Verner....................230.31 COR
Amodio...................229.38 TEB
Chan......................227.21 COR
Takahashi...............227.07 SA
Amodio...................226.86 EURO
Oda.......................226.09 SA
Joubert...................223.01 EURO
Verner....................222.60 EURO
Takahashi...............219.77 GPF
Reynolds.................218.65 SC
Abbott....................218.19 NHK
Abbott....................217.21 COR
Van der Perren..........216.59 EURO
Gachinski..................216.07 EURO
Verner....................214.81 COC

From this list, Reynolds, Abbott, Rippon, Mroz and Mahbanoozadeh will not be competing at Worlds. The US really has disconneted national and international scorings. Or, it has two batches of top skaters - early and late season leaders.

LADIES

Czisny.....................180.75 GPF
Kostner...................178.60 GPF
Murakami.................178.59 GPF
Ando.......................174.47 COR
Suzuki......................173.72 GPF
Ando........................173.15 GPF
Suzuki......................172.74 COR
Czisny......................172.37 SC
Ando........................172.21 COC
Meier........................170.60 EURO
Korpi........................169.74 TEB
Kostner.....................168.54 EURO
Nagasu.....................167.79 TEB
Wagner.....................167.02 COR
Korpi.........................166.40 EURO
Makarova..................165.00 SC
Makarova..................162.04 EURO
Czisny.......................159.80 TEB
Murakami..................154.93 SA
Suzuki.......................162.86 COC
Flatt..........................162,86 SA
Kostner......................164.61 NHK
Flatt..........................161.04 NHK
Lacoste.....................157.26 SC
Phaneuf.....................156.24 SC
Phaneuf.....................155.11 TEB
Kostner......................154.87 SA
Imai..........................154.54 SC
Zawadzki...................154.35 SC
Leonpve.....................154.31 EURO
Zawadski....................153.78 COR
Marchei......................153.71 COR
Biryukova....................153.05 COR
Samson......................152.05 SC
V. Helgessoni...............151.66 EURO
Vannut.......................150.66 EURO
Makarova....................150.45 COR
Murakami....................150.16 NHK

From this list, at least Lacoste, Suzuki and Nagasu will not be at Worlds. Kim and Asada who are off this list will compete.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Taking out repeats and those not going to Worlds and inserting the newbies (who are going) into positions as implied by the Nationals Scores list, the list of top men looks like this:

Chan
Kozuka
Oda
Takahashi
(Bradley)
(Sawyer)
(Dornbush)
(Menshov)
(Miner)
Verner
Amodio
Joubert
(Contesti)
Van der Perren
Gachinski
Fernandez

Obviously this is not the exact way it will go down at the World Champioship and the inserted names (who have no international seniors scores or simply didn't make the list) are especially suspicious in thier placements. As most of these new names won't go to 4CC, this list is not likely to be radically modified afterward.

For Ladies, I haven't done their Nationals so a short list of top names, with Kim and Asada yet to be added, looks like this :

Czisny
Kostner
Murakami
Ando
Korpi
Makarova
Flatt
Phaneuf

Last edited:
Thanks, SF; this is really interesting. Thanks for keeping your findings updated.

I too spare a sigh for Joubert, Bluebonnet. I've always enjoyed his skating (when he's on). I'd like to see him continue to excel, because he brings something straightforward and rough-hewn to skating, sort of like a more refined Stojko. (Whom I also liked.) I hope he'll recover his mojo!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Olympia, if Joubert's nationals score were used, he would place between Bradley and Swayer. His best international score is that from the Euro, as in this list. All in all, he has improved towards the late season, competing in Europe. And since the inserted names are suspects and somewhat arbitrary, he is really in striking distance of the podium. You can keep hoping for him.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The ISU itself publishes the season's best total scores in each discipline (juniors included), with only the highest totals from each skater included:

Dudes

Dudettes

Couples Who Jump

Couples Who Don't

SkateFiguring, the US doesn't have disconnected scores, it just so happens that a lot of the top US skaters at Nationals were competing in the junior circuit, and you didn't seem to compile those scores.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Serious Business, I don't just seem to but actually do compile only Senior scores. As for "disconnected" scoring, it was one of my two alternative depictions about the obsevation that, except for Dornbush's Junior scores, the top American international scores are by Rippon, Abbott, Mroz and Mahbanoozadeh, who all scored lower than the three National medalists domestically. That's what I meant by disconnected scoring - a big and obvious discrepancy between international and national scoring and placements.

Obviously when I post, I'm making personal observations and opinions known in my way of expressing them in English. No claim of absolete truth is made or implied though I will sometimes defend strong beliefs.

Last edited:
In the ladies, five of the top six were in the Grand Prix Final (three of the top five men, too). Did the skaters get better and better as the season progressed, or did the judges get more and more generous? There will probably be some high scores at worlds.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is the last update before the World Championship.

MEN

Takahshi.................244.00 4CC
Oda.......................242.81 GPF
Chan......................239.52 SC
Kozuka...................237.79 GPF
Oda.......................236.52 SC
Takahashi...............234.79 NHK
Kozuka...................233.51 COC
Rippon....................233.04 SC
Hanyu....................228.01 4CC
Chan......................227.21 COR
Takahashi...............227.07 SA
Amodio...................226.86 EURO
Oda.......................226.09 SA
Abbott...................225.71 4CC
Kozuka...................223.52 4CC
Joubert..................223.01 EURO
Verner....................222.60 EURO
Takahashi...............219.77 GPF
Reynolds.................218.65 SC
Abbott....................218.19 NHK
Abbott....................217.21 COR
Gachinski.................216.07 EURO
Verner.....................214.81 COC
Rippn.......................210.01 4CC

LADIES

Ando......................201.34 4CC
Asada.....................196.30 4CC
Nagasu....................189.46 4CC
Flatt.......................180.31 4CC
Kostner....................178.60 GPF
Murakami..................178.59 GPF
Ando........................174.47 COR
Suzuki......................173.72 GPF
Ando........................173.15 GPF
Suzuki......................172.74 COR
Czisny......................172.37 SC
Ando........................172.21 COC
Meier........................170.60 EURO
Korpi........................169.74 TEB
Czisny......................168.81 4CC
Kostner.....................168.54 EURO
Nagasu.....................167.79 TEB
Wagner.....................167.02 COR
Korpi.........................166.40 EURO
Makarova..................165.00 SC
Phaneuf....................163.14 4CC
Makarova..................162.04 EURO
Czisny......................159.80 TEB
Murakami..................154.93 SA
Suzuki.......................162.86 COC
Flatt..........................162,86 SA
Kostner......................164.61 NHK
Flatt..........................161.04 NHK
Lacoste.....................157.26 SC
Phaneuf.....................156.24 SC
Phaneuf.....................155.11 TEB
Kostner......................154.87 SA
Imai..........................154.54 SC
Zawadzki...................154.35 SC
Leonpve.....................154.31 EURO
Zawadski....................153.78 COR
Marchei......................153.71 COR
Biryukova....................153.05 COR
Samson......................152.05 SC
V. Helgessoni...............151.66 EURO
Vannut.......................150.66 EURO
Makarova....................150.45 COR
Murakami....................150.16 NHK

Numbers from 4CC have more of an impact on Ladies, and also indicate Takahashi's increased competitiveness.

doug_log

On the Ice
4CC Scores

SkateFiguring:

Thanks for putting this list together. It's helped put things into perspective for me, even if comparing the scores from different competitions is problematic at best.

Based on this latest list, it appears that the anxieties over the US women might be overblown. Three of the top 5 women's scores belong to three different US women. Not too shabby.

Nagasu was wonderful at 4CC. Rachel, I think, continues to improve. Some may not like her cutesy-flirty style, but at least she's trying to sell it. Hopefully, Czisny will deliver in Tokyo.

Sure, we don't have three spots this year, but if this list is any indication of their potential in Tokyo, Flatt and Czisny very well could earn a third spot. We have some very solid skaters, and a few very special ones. This season may have been disappointing, but with the return of Kim, Asada's improvements, and Ando's consistency, Worlds could be a great competition. Flatt, Czisny, Murakami, Kostner could all spoil their party.

Bring on Tokyo!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Ladies' stats indicate to me the general improvement over the season by the top skaters. They all seem to have shaken off their evil twins and become steady skaters by late season. Very encouraging.

However, as I observed before, until 4CC, there is a thin spread of scores among the Ladies, thus such a long list. It means more equal chances for a good number of them. However, the picture is changing with the return of Kim and Asada, so to speak. Together with steady Ando, they may monopolize the top. Czisny, however, could break in there for a podium spot. The Men's list shows a wide spread with fewer names, indicating dominance by a few top skaters, narrowing down the podium prospects.

Takahashi too brings it late in the season. Though he has consistently high PCS, his Total Scores, until 4CC, have not been stellar, with low TES and very poor quad attemps as shown on the Quad List. OTOH, Kozuka might have peaked at TEB whereas Chan is on an amazing projectory, especially if one takes into consideration his latest performance at the Nationals, which is not included here.

I thought such compilations might be helpful for those who like to make predictions.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The list condensed by taking out repeats:

MEN Personal Best

Takahshi.................244.00 4CC
Oda.......................242.81 GPF
Rippon....................233.04 SC*
Hanyu.....................228.01 4CC*
Abbott....................225.71 4CC*
Joubert...................223.01 EURO
Dornbush.................219.56 JGPF**
Reynolds..................218.65 SC*
Mroz.......................216.80 COC*
Gachinski.................216.07 EURO
Mahbanoozadeh........211.17 SA*

*Not entered for Worlds.
**I added Dornbush's scores from Junior GPF.

LADIES Personal Best

Ando.......................201.34 4CC
Asada.....................196.30 4CC
Nagasu....................189.46 4CC*
Flatt.......................180.31 4CC
Kostner...................178.60 GPF
Murakami.................178.59 GPF
Suzuki.....................173.72 GPF*
Meier......................170.60 EURO
Korpi.......................169.74 TEB
Wagner...................167.02 COR*
Makarova.................165.00 SC
Phaneuf...................163.14 4CC
Lacoste...................157.26 SC*
Imai........................154.54 SC*
Zawadzki.................154.35 SC*
Leonova..................154.31 EURO
Marchei...................153.71 COR
Biryukova.................153.05 COR
Samson...................152.05 SC
V. Helgessoni............151.66 EURO
Vannut....................150.66 EURO

*These skaters are not entered into Worlds that I know of. I'm not completely sure of the Europeans and haven't verified all of them

Last edited: