Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skaters' children skating?

On the Ice

Skaters' children skating?

I thought this would be fun.

Ellen Burka ladies champion Netherlands daughter Petra ladies champion Canada, World champion and Olympic medalist
    Nobuo Sato men's champion Japan and wife was a ladies champion, Jampan daughter Yuka, ladies champion Japan, World champion
    Marina Zoueva son Fedor Andreev
    Igor Shpilband daughter Katia
    daughter Ksenia Markova
    Artur Dmitriev son Artur
    Katia Gordeeva and Ilia Kulik daughter Liza
    Lisa daughter Kimberly Navarro

Please add to the list

Custom Title
    Ivan Bukin, who won the bronze medal in ice dancing at the JGPF with partner Alexandra Stepanova, is the son of Andrei Bukin.

Marina Klimova is the coach of her son Anthony and his partner, and they won a bronze at US Junior Nationals (juvenile or intermediate, can't remember).

Maribel Vinsen Owen, US Ladies Champion and World Medallist. Maribel, Jr - 1961 US Pairs Champion and Laurence Owen - 1961 US Ladies Champion. All lost their lives in the tragedy of the plane crash.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Maribel Vinsen Owen, US Ladies Champion and World Medallist. Maribel, Jr - 1961 US Pairs Champion and Laurence Owen - 1961 US Ladies Champion. All lost their lives in the tragedy of the plane crash.
    That one really knocked me over when I learned of it some years ago. And if you ever see videos of Laurence Owen skating (there's at least one YouTube video), it will crack your heart open. She's so light and joyous on the ice. Toller Cranston, who certainly has an eye for artistry, spoke very highly of Laurence in one of his books.

On a happier note, Oleada--I didn't realize Klimova/Ponomarenko's son was skating, and skating so well! Bukin I had heard of earlier this year, but Anthony P. is news to me. Terrific!

I know that Daria Grinkova, Katia and Sergei's daughter, has stopped skating. I wonder whether Viktor Petrenko's daughter Viktoria is still skating? Like Daria, she appeared on one of Kristi's "friends and family" specials a few years ago. She looked pretty serious and well trained.

Sorry to have cast a pall on the discussion, but so few people (especially younger skaters these days) really KNOW of the 1961 tragedy.

Additions with famouse last names:
    Ksenia Makarova (RUS)
    Katie Shipstad - Intermediate Dance 4th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
    Daniel Petrenko - Intermediate Men 6th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
    Christina Zaitsev - Intermediate Pairs 4th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
    Alexander Petrov - Juvenile Dance 1st, 2011 US Junior Nationals
    Remington Burghart - Juvenile Pairs 3rd, 2011 US Junior Nationals
    Katia Shpilband - Novice Ladies 5th, 2011 Midwestern Sectional Championships
    Alexander Zahradnicek - Junior Men 1st, 2011 Eastern Sectional Championships

Gabrielle Marval (Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval's daughter) is skating pairs (saw her with her partner at Liberty Summer Competition & at Eastern Sectionals).
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 01-04-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    May I introduce? Here's another bright star in skating on her way! OK, right now she's barely on her feet and nobody knows if she'll actually go for it, but her genes are sensational, with Mom and Dad being Olympic Champions! Already a charming little thing, don't you think?

PS:Sorry for being a bit OT!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanice View Post
    May I introduce? Here's another bright star in skating on her way! OK, right now she's barely on her feet and nobody knows if she'll actually go for it, but her genes are sensational, with Mom and Dad being Olympic Champions! Already a charming little thing, don't you think?

PS:Sorry for being a bit OT!
    She is sooo cute! And the genes are awesome, but her dad already said he doesn't want her to be a skater

On the Ice
    Forgot to mention Gaby Seifert daughter of Jutta Muller, who also coached Katerina Witt and many other East German girls. This is fun, keep them coming.

Custom Title
    Julia Pfrengle - daughter from Claudia Leistner and Stefan Pfrengle
    Isabel Heintges - daugther from Karin Riediger (former German Champion; Top 10 at Worlds)

no mention of Daria Grinkova but a mention of her little sister? too bad... Dasha was fun to watch when she was skating.

Viktoria Petrenko skates(skated?) as well, and was quite good if I remember the buzz a few years back.

On the Ice
    2010 North Atlantics Victoria Petrenko withdrew from Intermediate ladies because of illness

Custom Title
    Ilia Kulik and Ekaterina Gordeeva's daughter Elizaveta Kulik also skating and in pre juvenile level.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Gabrielle Marval (Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval's daughter) is skating pairs (saw her with her partner at Liberty Summer Competition & at Eastern Sectionals).
    Did they do well, and will they be at Nationals?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast