Ksenia Makarova (RUS)
Katie Shipstad - Intermediate Dance 4th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Daniel Petrenko - Intermediate Men 6th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Christina Zaitsev - Intermediate Pairs 4th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Alexander Petrov - Juvenile Dance 1st, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Remington Burghart - Juvenile Pairs 3rd, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Katia Shpilband - Novice Ladies 5th, 2011 Midwestern Sectional Championships
Alexander Zahradnicek - Junior Men 1st, 2011 Eastern Sectional Championships

Who are Alexanders Petrov's and Zahradnicek's parents ? I could not find any informationa about them as a famous skaters

heyang

Record Breaker
no mention of Daria Grinkova but a mention of her little sister? too bad... Dasha was fun to watch when she was skating.

Viktoria Petrenko skates(skated?) as well, and was quite good if I remember the buzz a few years back.

I think there were some old rumors that Daria gave up competitive skating - some said she tried gymnastics. She seemed to be getting on the tall side the last time I saw her on Kristi's Family and Friends show. Here's a video of Katia skating with Daria and Liza - you can see Daria's taller than her mother and Liza's probably skating for about a year or so?

http://vodpod.com/watch/2044057-katia-gordeeva-daria-grinkova-liza-kulik-homesick

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Parents of Maxim Zavozin are Garanina & Zavozin who competed internationally for Soviet Union in late 70's/ early 80's, though they never made it to Worlds.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
I think there were some old rumors that Daria gave up competitive skating - some said she tried gymnastics

Daria has said that she gave up competitive skating because she wasn't enjoying it - that was at least 4years ago, probably more. When they moved to CA the second time (to Orange County) she became a member of the girls' lacrosse team (she was a freshman at the time) at her school and has done that through high school. She has been co-captain of her team. She is in her senior year now and will be going to college next year. College, not a skating career, has been her objective for a long time and she is happy to say that her goals are different that the rest of her family but that they are very supportive of her chosen path.

Nadine

Record Breaker
GOOOOOOOOOOOO DARIA!!!!!! :party: Sergei would be proud. :)

Thanks for this thread, I'm especially interested to see Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval's daughter. I've always thought the excellent movie "Cutting Edge" was based on Isabelle because she looks like Moira Kelly imho, not that she's snooty like the character, lol. :D

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Daria has said that she gave up competitive skating because she wasn't enjoying it - that was at least 4years ago, probably more. When they moved to CA the second time (to Orange County) she became a member of the girls' lacrosse team (she was a freshman at the time) at her school and has done that through high school. She has been co-captain of her team. She is in her senior year now and will be going to college next year. College, not a skating career, has been her objective for a long time and she is happy to say that her goals are different that the rest of her family but that they are very supportive of her chosen path.

as it should be. Katia wrote in "My Sergei" that he wished for something other than skating for his little girl...

I'm always delighted when a daughter or son wants something different from the parents' talents and is given such support by the parents nonetheless. It shows something tremendous about the family bonds. Though I do love the idea of these second-generation skaters!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Additions with famouse last names:
Ksenia Makarova (RUS)
Katie Shipstad - Intermediate Dance 4th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Daniel Petrenko - Intermediate Men 6th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Christina Zaitsev - Intermediate Pairs 4th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Alexander Petrov - Juvenile Dance 1st, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Remington Burghart - Juvenile Pairs 3rd, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Katia Shpilband - Novice Ladies 5th, 2011 Midwestern Sectional Championships
Alexander Zahradnicek - Junior Men 1st, 2011 Eastern Sectional Championships
Makarova's parents, who coached her at 2007 US Nationals in Novice, are Larisa Selezneva/Oleg Makarov, the 1984 Olympic bronze medalists in pairs for the Soviet Union. Very cool that Ksenia is a second generation Olympian!

Shipstad's dad, Eddie, was a former US National competitor who currently coaches in Colorado Springs.

Petrenko is Viktor's nephew and his father, Vladimir, was the 1986 World Junior Champion for Ukraine and coaches in Simsbury, CT. Viktor's daughter, Victoria, was competing successfully at the Intermediate level in the fall of 2009 but has not competed since then, AFAIK.

Zaitsev's parents, Sergei and Elena, coach in Indianapolis. Sergei competed internationally in pairs for the Soviet Union.

Burghart's father, Ralph, is a former competitor for Austria who currently coaches Keegan Messing in Alaska; his mother is Rory Flack and she coaches in Salt Lake City (I think).

Shpilband's mother (ex-wife of Igor) is Veronica Pershina, the 1979 World Junior Champion in pairs with partner Marat Akbarov representing the Soviet Union. Pershina coaches in Ann Arbor, MI.

Also:

Anthony Ponomarenko - Juvenile Dance 3rd (his mother, Marina Klimova, was in the kiss and cry with him at Junior Nationals (there's a cute photo of them together on Icenetwork); I assume his father, Sergei Ponomarenko, also coaches him)

Gabriella Marvaldi - Juvenile Pairs 12th (coached by her parents, Isabelle Brasseur and Rocky Marval)

Who are Alexanders Petrov's and Zahradnicek's parents ? I could not find any informationa about them as a famous skaters
I don't believe Zahradnicek's parents were figure skaters. Alexander Petrov is coached by his parents, Oleg Petrov and Maria Pocheykina. I found an article online that mentioned: "Petrov, a former member of the Russian National Team, was an alternate for the 1984 Olympics in Sarajevo. Pocheykina was a World Junior Team member in Russia."

Icenetwork subscribers can watch videos of all the Intermediate and Juvenile competitors at the 2011 U.S. Junior Figure Skating Championships as well as at the 3 Sectional Championships.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for that info., Sylvia, I had a great time watching Isabelle & Rocky's delightful little daughter, Gabriella. :) From a distance she looks like Rocky with a touch of Isabelle thrown in, lol. :D

And also I saw Rory Flack Burghart & Ralph Burghart's youngest son for the first time, Remington, whom appears to be TALL just like his parents and extremely stick thin. He & his partner did extremely well finishing in 3rd place. :)

From there I watched old clips of Rory skating from the 90's, which brought back wonderful memories, especially her "Summertime" performance and the Chrissy Hynde song "I'm Special". Btw, I didn't know she & Ralph broke up, and now she's married to a Rich Rollins, and lives in Utah. I'm glad that they were together though for Keegan Messing at last year's Nationals. :)^)

Will have to check out everybody else's children when I get the chance.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Two more examples of former notable skaters' children skating at US Nationals this year:

Sharon Jones-Baker is a 4-time British ice dance champion and Olympian whose son Jean-Luc Baker and partner Joylyn Yang have qualified for Nationals for the past several years -- this year they made their JGP debut and will compete in Junior Dance in Greensboro.

1989 British men's champion Christian Newberry has two skating sons -- Jack and Graham. Jack has qualified for Nationals for the first time in Novice and Graham qualified for Junior Nationals in Intermediate but just missed making the final round by one place (11th in QR Group B).

Thanks for all the information, Sylvia. Nadine, how great to have an eyewitness report of Rory Flack Burghart's son. I actually got to see Rory skate live, as well as enjoying her on TV. She had a wonderful jazzy style and was one of very few women (Surya Bonaly being the only other one I can think of) who regularly did a backflip in performance. Since Rory is so tall, her backflip was truly breathtaking.

Meli, could Gordei Gorshkov be the son of Ludmila Pakhomova and Alexander Gorshkov? They were the longtime Soviet ice dancers who were the first Olympic ice dance champions in 1976. I think they even originated one of the compulsory dances. Let me check.
*googles* Hmmm. It doesn't seem that he's their son. They supposedly had a daughter before she died of cancer at a young age. He's married again, but Wikipedia cites only a stepson. Someone who can read Russian Wiki (or other sources) will have to take it from here!

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Meli, could Gordei Gorshkov be the son of Ludmila Pakhomova and Alexander Gorshkov? They were the longtime Soviet ice dancers who were the first Olympic ice dance champions in 1976. I think they even originated one of the compulsory dances. Let me check.
*googles* Hmmm. It doesn't seem that he's their son. They supposedly had a daughter before she died of cancer at a young age. He's married again, but Wikipedia cites only a stepson. Someone who can read Russian Wiki (or other sources) will have to take it from here!

I searched with google when I read it for the first time, but also didn´t find something.
Hope some russian native speaker can help.

SugarCranberry

Rinkside
Thanks for all the information, Sylvia. Nadine, how great to have an eyewitness report of Rory Flack Burghart's son. I actually got to see Rory skate live, as well as enjoying her on TV. She had a wonderful jazzy style and was one of very few women (Surya Bonaly being the only other one I can think of) who regularly did a backflip in performance. Since Rory is so tall, her backflip was truly breathtaking.

Gordei Gorshkov's father's name is Oleg. There is Oleg Gorshkov listed on fskate.ru ( the site is in Russian) who was a pair skater and placed 3rd in 1985 Universiade. His partner was Svetlana Frantsuzova.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

she's from Alaska! :rock: (well she's from AK once in a while. girl moves around constantly!)