Skaters' children skating? | Golden Skate

Skaters' children skating?

linda vanwormer

Rinkside
I thought this would be fun.

Ellen Burka ladies champion Netherlands daughter Petra ladies champion Canada, World champion and Olympic medalist
Nobuo Sato men's champion Japan and wife was a ladies champion, Jampan daughter Yuka, ladies champion Japan, World champion
Marina Zoueva son Fedor Andreev
Igor Shpilband daughter Katia
daughter Ksenia Markova
Artur Dmitriev son Artur
Katia Gordeeva and Ilia Kulik daughter Liza
Lisa daughter Kimberly Navarro

Please add to the list

oleada

Record Breaker
Ivan Bukin, who won the bronze medal in ice dancing at the JGPF with partner Alexandra Stepanova, is the son of Andrei Bukin.

Marina Klimova is the coach of her son Anthony and his partner, and they won a bronze at US Junior Nationals (juvenile or intermediate, can't remember).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Maribel Vinsen Owen, US Ladies Champion and World Medallist. Maribel, Jr - 1961 US Pairs Champion and Laurence Owen - 1961 US Ladies Champion. All lost their lives in the tragedy of the plane crash.

Maribel Vinsen Owen, US Ladies Champion and World Medallist. Maribel, Jr - 1961 US Pairs Champion and Laurence Owen - 1961 US Ladies Champion. All lost their lives in the tragedy of the plane crash.

That one really knocked me over when I learned of it some years ago. And if you ever see videos of Laurence Owen skating (there's at least one YouTube video), it will crack your heart open. She's so light and joyous on the ice. Toller Cranston, who certainly has an eye for artistry, spoke very highly of Laurence in one of his books.

On a happier note, Oleada--I didn't realize Klimova/Ponomarenko's son was skating, and skating so well! Bukin I had heard of earlier this year, but Anthony P. is news to me. Terrific!

I know that Daria Grinkova, Katia and Sergei's daughter, has stopped skating. I wonder whether Viktor Petrenko's daughter Viktoria is still skating? Like Daria, she appeared on one of Kristi's "friends and family" specials a few years ago. She looked pretty serious and well trained.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Sorry to have cast a pall on the discussion, but so few people (especially younger skaters these days) really KNOW of the 1961 tragedy.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Additions with famouse last names:
Ksenia Makarova (RUS)
Katie Shipstad - Intermediate Dance 4th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Daniel Petrenko - Intermediate Men 6th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Christina Zaitsev - Intermediate Pairs 4th, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Alexander Petrov - Juvenile Dance 1st, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Remington Burghart - Juvenile Pairs 3rd, 2011 US Junior Nationals
Katia Shpilband - Novice Ladies 5th, 2011 Midwestern Sectional Championships
Alexander Zahradnicek - Junior Men 1st, 2011 Eastern Sectional Championships

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabrielle Marval (Isabelle Brasseur & Rocky Marval's daughter) is skating pairs (saw her with her partner at Liberty Summer Competition & at Eastern Sectionals).

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
May I introduce? Here's another bright star in skating on her way! OK, right now she's barely on her feet and nobody knows if she'll actually go for it, but her genes are sensational, with Mom and Dad being Olympic Champions! Already a charming little thing, don't you think?

PS:Sorry for being a bit OT!

Lucky Star

Final Flight
May I introduce? Here's another bright star in skating on her way! OK, right now she's barely on her feet and nobody knows if she'll actually go for it, but her genes are sensational, with Mom and Dad being Olympic Champions! Already a charming little thing, don't you think?

PS:Sorry for being a bit OT!
She is sooo cute! And the genes are awesome, but her dad already said he doesn't want her to be a skater

linda vanwormer

Rinkside
Forgot to mention Gaby Seifert daughter of Jutta Muller, who also coached Katerina Witt and many other East German girls. This is fun, keep them coming.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Julia Pfrengle - daughter from Claudia Leistner and Stefan Pfrengle
Isabel Heintges - daugther from Karin Riediger (former German Champion; Top 10 at Worlds)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no mention of Daria Grinkova but a mention of her little sister? too bad... Dasha was fun to watch when she was skating.

Viktoria Petrenko skates(skated?) as well, and was quite good if I remember the buzz a few years back.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did they do well, and will they be at Nationals?

Gabriella Marvaldi (that's how she's listed in the program from Eastern Sectionals) and her partner Kyle Hogeboom skate in juvenile pairs. I'll have to check their official results. There were five juvenile pairs total. I think they finished pretty well there.

oleada

Record Breaker
Alexander Vlassov's daughter Julia Vlassov skated

And was a world junior champion :)

With Dubreuil & Lauzon, Domnina & Kostomarov and Denkova & Staviski all having/expecting babies recently, maybe we will get a new generation of ice dancers... ;)