Men prospects | Golden Skate

Men prospects

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ALL SKATERS must reach a minimal TES score for both the SP and the FS. They must be in a qualified ISU competition in 2009-2010 or 2010-11 but can be earned on separate competitions. For the men that is 20.00 in the SP and 35.00 in the FS.

The ISU has put in a qualifying round, but not all have to skate it. The federations will be given one direct entry into the SP for each skate they had in the Top 18 in last year's Worlds. All other entries will have to qualify for the final 12 spots for a total of 30 entries.

DIRECTLY QUALIFIED FOR THE SHORT PROGRAM (direct entries are given to federations who had top 18 skaters from previous Worlds)
BEL 1 Kevin van der Perren (1st at Nationals; highest ranked BEL skater)
CAN 1 Patrick Chan
CAN 2 Shawn Sawyer
CHN 1 Yan Han
CZE 1 Tomas Verner
ESP 1 Javier Fernández
FRA 1 Brian Joubert
FRA 2 Florent Amodio
ITA 1 Samuel Contesti (First at Nationals; higest world ranked ITA skater)
JPN 1 Daisuke Takahashi ** (see below under "multiple nation skaters")
JPN 2 Takahiko Kozuka ** (see below under "multiple nation skaters")
KAZ 1 Denis Ten (likely)
RUS 1 or Artur GKonstantin
SWE 1 Adrian Schultheiss
UKR 1 Anton Kovalevski
USA 1 Ryan Bradley
USA 2 Richard Dornbush
USA 3 Ross Miner

(Breakdown of direct entries: 3 USA; 2 JPN; 2 CAN; 2 FRA making up 9 of the entries. Nine more federations have one direct entry. USA and FRA the only two nations to have all their skaters enter directly)

Final 12 spots qualified via qualifying round (see below).

QUALIFYING ROUND ENTRIES:

MULTIPLE-SKATER NATIONS:
The following second (or third) skaters from these countries will have to do a QR because there was no skater competing in that spot last year or a skater from that country failed to break into the top 18. The skater with the lower World Standing among the federation's representatives will be the one who will have to skate the qualifying round.

Here are the countries with skaters who will have to skate in the QR.

BEL 2 Jorik Hendrickx (second at BEL Nationals)
CAN 3 Joey Russell
CZE 2 Michal Brezina *
JPN 3 Nobunari Oda (likely) **
ITA 2 Paolo Bacchini (second at ITA Nationals)
SWE 2 Kristoffer BERNTSSON ***

* Czech Republic note: What a cruel fate for Brezina. It was he who maintained two spots for his country. But an injury kept him from the GP, where Tomas did well enough to overtake him in the standings.
** Japan note: Technically Kozuka has the lowest world standing as of right now, but that is expected to change with Kozuka and Takahashki getting more points at 4CC.
*** Sweden note: Kristoffer Berntsson is the 2010 National Champion, but Adrien is higher ranked.

OTHER COUNTRIES LIKELY TO ENTER:

I will add other countries who will have a skater in the QR as I see it. Please let me know if I should add anyone to this list.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
What a sweet dream it would be if Patrick wins the world and Jeremy is on the podium!:party::party2: (I just love these two emoticons!)

ALL SKATERS must reach a minimal TES score for both the SP and the FS. They must be in a qualified ISU competition in 2009-2010 or 2010-11 but can be earned on separate competitions. For the men that is 20.00 in the SP and 35.00 in the FS.
By separate competitions, you seem to imply that individual Nationals can also be used to qualify. I'm not doubting you. It's just that I was under the impression that ISU will not permit individual Feds to interfere with their rules.

Tesla

Final Flight
By separate competitions, you seem to imply that individual Nationals can also be used to qualify. I'm not doubting you. It's just that I was under the impression that ISU will not permit individual Feds to interfere with their rules.

I don't think she implies that. She's implying two different competitions. I see nothing about Nats.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hmmm, the Mens potential placings are harder for me to determine, lol, simply because they are ALL good, whereas with the ladies it's easy to see that Yuna Kim is the very best out of all of them, with consistency to boot. But with the men there are at least a handful that can turn it up a notch and grab the gold medal, be it Joubert, Chan, Abbott, Rippon, Daisuke, Oda, Kozuka. Then of course there is the possibility of an also-ran whom could have the skate of his life at Worlds, somebody whom everybody thinks is too old & washed up. Or else there could even be a first ~ that is, a Japanese sweep of the podium!

But, as an American, I have to admit I'm hoping for an American to land on the podium, same as with the women. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
But with the men there are at least a handful that can turn it up a notch and grab the gold medal, be it Joubert, Chan, Abbott, Rippon, Daisuke, Oda, Kozuka. Then of course there is the possibility of an also-ran whom could have the skate of his life at Worlds, somebody whom everybody thinks is too old & washed up. Or else there could even be a first ~ that is, a Japanese sweep of the podium!

"Too old & washed up"? Could that be Joubert? If he could be on the podium again, it'll be my sweet dream too.

I still think that gold medal contenders are three Japanese and Chan. Verner might have a chance to get on podium if everybody's bumped.

However, a Japanese sweep is impossible to me, as long as there is a skater named Patrick Chan. He might not skate as great as he has just done at the Nationals, I don't see him off the podium in current line up.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, Bluebonnet, your mind is on a one way track. :D Not me, none of my favorites are competing, so I don't really have a horse in this race, just speculating is all, and hoping for an American man to land on the podium. :)^) Then again I don't want to be too greedy, skate gods, as an American man just recently won both the Olympics this past year and Worlds the year before, so if no American man lands on the podium this year or next year I won't be too put out, as long as one lands on the podium a year before the next Olympics. ;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Lol, Bluebonnet, your mind is on a one way track. :D Not me, none of my favorites are competing, so I don't really have a horse in this race, just speculating is all, and hoping for an American man to land on the podium. :)^) Then again I don't want to be too greedy, skate gods, as an American man just recently won both the Olympics this past year and Worlds the year before, so if no American man lands on the podium this year or next year I won't be too put out, as long as one lands on the podium a year before the next Olympics. ;)

:biggrin:Well, the scene hasn't changed from where I'm sitting.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, I was just kidding around, Bluebonnet, but it looks like my sense of humour miss the mark.

Back on topic, my opinion hasn't changed, I still say the Mens field is wide open, whereas the Womens is deservedly dominated by the best female figure skater in the history of the modern era of the sport ~ Yuna Kim. Yes, Mao is my favorite, but Yuna is far & away the best, including beauty (mayhap even another Katarina Witt if she stays in for the long haul; or even another Sonja Henie, I can dream!). :love:

:party:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RUSSIA, FRANCE, CANADA, USA, ET AL (MENS THAT IS)!!!!!!!!!!:party2:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
:laugh:Whew, you certainly got me this time. I thought I might have made mistake by saying that which would imply something inappropriate.:eek::

With a Field like this, plus the additional top skaters who will be determined by the preliminary round, how can anyone pick a podium placer no less a winner? It has to be by hopefully.

BEL 1 Kevin van der Perren
CAN 1 Patrick Chan
CAN 2 Shawn Sawyer
CHN 1 Yan Han
CZE 1 Tomas Verner
ESP 1 Javier Fernández
FRA 1 Brian Joubert
FRA 2 Florent Amodio
ITA 1 Samuel Contesti (First at Nationals; higest world ranked ITA skater)
JPN 1 Daisuke Takahashi ** (see below under "multiple nation skaters")
JPN 2 Nobunari Oda
RUS Artur Gachinsky
UKR 1 Anton Kovalevski
USA 1 Ryan Bradley
USA 2 Richard Dornbush
USA 3 Ross Miner

and to be added if not already:

CZE 2 Michal Brezina
JPN 3 Takahito Kozuka
SWE 2 Kristoffer BERNTSSON

ivy

On the Ice
Interesting that Joubert still has a higher ranking than Amodio - if I'm understanding the list correctly

Do we know about the Russians - Will Gachinsky or Menshov get the direct entry?

It does seem open this year - though maybe not quite so much at the very top, Chan would seem to have the momentum for the gold, with two Japanese skaters next to him on the podium. It'll be a real battle for spots 4 through 10 though. I just really hope we get to see all skaters at their best, I'm especially hoping to see great skates from Kozuka, Sawyer and Miner.

emma

Record Breaker
I apologize if you have already talked about this to death - but do you know if Oda will have to do qualifying - or which of the Japanese men will have to do it? thanks.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I apologize if you have already talked about this to death - but do you know if Oda will have to do qualifying - or which of the Japanese men will have to do it? thanks.

I'm quite sure it is the skater lowest on the ISU World Standings, who has to do QR.

Right now it is:
3rd Nobunari Oda - 3635
5th Daisuke Takahashi - 3318
10th Takahiko Kozuka - 2982

There is still 4CC to go, where Takahashi and Kozuka are assigned. Takahashi needs 317 and Kozuka needs 635 point to overtake Oda. Takahashi needs only a top 10 placement (10th gives 325 point), whereas Kozuka needs a top 3 placement (3rd gives 680).

Takahashi should easily get the job done, whereas Kozuka have to fight for it.

BRaZILIANSKaTER

Rinkside
Hi everyone!
I hoped for a few years that Oda could win the world championship. But this year I´ve got a little tired of expecting this to happen (and a little disappointed whith internaional judges who seem to undermark him sometimes) and for me there wasn´t a special skater to cheer for.
Then, I watched Patrick´s SP and LP in the canadian nationals and this time, he really impressed me. He added what was missing in his programs (the quads obviously:biggrin:) giving the judges reasons to justificate the high marks he sometimes used to receive inappropriately (this my PERSONAL opinion is one of the reasons why i didn´t like him before his technical upgrade). So now I kind of want him to him now, if he can produce some skates like he did in Canadian´s. I think that this season he is capable of winning a fair and well deserved world title. (a sad year to peak isn´t is? Quoting Ryan Bradley at US Nationals: "one year too late"...).

I would like Brezina to have good programs.. I really love his jumps and hope he feels encouraged to keep developing.

I also want Brasil´s Kevin Alves to qualify and to to finish in a better position than previous years!

GREETINGS FROM BRASIL

emma

Record Breaker
I'm quite sure it is the skater lowest on the ISU World Standings, who has to do QR.

Right now it is:
3rd Nobunari Oda - 3635

There is still 4CC to go, where Takahashi and Kozuka are assigned. Takahashi needs 317 and Kozuka needs 635 point to overtake Oda. Takahashi needs only a top 10 placement (10th gives 325 point), whereas Kozuka needs a top 3 placement (3rd gives 680).

Thanks! It will be interesting to see how this plays out!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Right now it is:
3rd Nobunari Oda - 3635

That seems very wrong to me. I'm a fan of all 3 of Takahashi, Kozuka, and Oda, but Nobu is the one who completely blew the SP last year at Worlds failing to advance to the top 24 in the LP, so he should be the one who has to go through qualifying.