Woman Knocked Unconscious While Shopping | Golden Skate

Woman Knocked Unconscious While Shopping

dewet

Final Flight
You can't even stay concious while shopping.
:rolleye: People

Welcome to GS, Yesopenilno!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I would hope after that horrific experience Walmart would give the poor women the DVD player for free!

mpal2

Final Flight
Reason #1 why I don't go out the day after Thanksgiving. I would rather miss a sale and keep my sanity.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad, just what I was thinking, give her a DVD player, shoot, she deserves a whole entertainment system.......bah humbug

Yesopen.........by the way, welcome to GS...........42

They offered to put a DVD player on hold for her???:laugh: Yeah, that and a $10,000,000 settlement once some lawyer reads this story.

MM

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
I never shop the day after Thanksgiving for this reason. Four years ago, I too was at Wal-marts near where I live and saw the surge of shoppers knock an elderly woman to the ground and trample her to get to a TV special. I was too far away to get thru the crowd and help. It sickened me that everyone just kept pushing through while that bit of humanity lay helpless on the cold hard floor and couldn't move. I saw this as if in slow motion and wondered what have we become? Have we become so hardened? Is it just the thrill of being the first one to get the best deal just to say, "Look what I got?" just like a bunch of grade school children on the playground. Did we all stand outside in the cold for hours talking to those around us, waiting to get inside to the big sale, just to dump on one another when it really counted?

This year my teenage son wanted to go and see what the opening day of the shopping season was all about. So, he set his clock and got up at 5:00 am and drove to town to brave the cold and the crowds just to be apart of it all. He came home safely thank god only to inform me that he would never do that again. He said people turn into animals. He couldn't believe what he saw out there.

I think we need to be less materialistic and more maternalistic. In the end its not what you got but how you felt that counts. When you give to someone it warms your heart and blesses you as well as the person who recieved the gift. We all need to become givers. Givers of love, time and compassion, forgiveness. Givers of hope. How can we teach the next generation when this is the kinds of examples they see?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
The check out lady at Wal-Mart told my Mother and I about this today! How terrible! She told us that the lady was seriously injured. She certainly should get a DVD player and much more.

windspirit

On the Ice
I'm glad I hate shopping. When I saw those huge crowds on TV, waiting for stores to open, I couldn't believe my eyes. No sale could make me do that.

As for the woman, Wal-mart "put the DVD player on hold for her"? Give me a break! :laugh: She should sue them. She has every right to do so. They wanted people stampede their stores and they got it.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's not Wal-Mart's fault. It's the fault of all those sickening shoppers who believe themselves to be human beings. What a horrifying lack of values. Is this what the holidays have become? I wonder how the people who continued to shop over this poor woman's body described the event to their friends and family. Were they even the slightest bit embarrassed over their behavior? Were they amused? Honestly, the whole story makes me sick.

I'm so glad that I don't have any of the holiday pressure so many people face. We celebrate Chanukkah, but my husband is from Israel, where this holiday is NOT a gift-giving event. We generally buy one "toy" for the family, something we will all enjoy and we get some things for our daughter, but the whole thing is very low key. We take her shopping for some things she's interested in rather than a big "TA DA" presentation, and my relatives send her some clothes and a few goodies. For the past few years she has purchased a gift with her own money for needy kids, and we talk about what it means to be in need. She's only 9, but I do my best to get the lesson across. She's kind and empathetic and it hurts her that there are those who have so little.

I love the actual traditions of the holiday: lighting candles, playing dreidel, making latkes (potato pancakes), getting together with friends for food and conversation.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Rgal, what lovely traditions and values you have instilled in your daughter.......

I've never been in a "bone-crushing" mob before, but I've talked to people who have......I have a sickening feeling that the people who did the "tromping" were pushed from behind and had no control of the momentum.....no excuse, however, for not stopping and trying to help......42

Nascargal

Spectator
Actually, I think Wal Mart shares in the responsibility. They KNOW the kind of crowds they will be getting at such a sale, from past after Thanksgiving sales, and they KNOW how people respond to 'great deals', ie: they are only out for themselves! I think Wal Mart shares a big responsibility in this woman's injuries, and owes her much more than the DVD player!!!!! Poor crowd control, lack of employees directing traffic, etc...definitely poor planning on Wal Mart's part.

I also avoid these post Thanksgiving sales. When people go wait at Toys R Us at 3 am, I know they are braver and of much more stronger stuff than I! ;)

OT -- Hi, Nascargal, welcome to the forum. We hope you like it here.

Are you really a Nascar fan? That's an interesting combination of sports, stock cars and figure skating!

Mathman

Kasha

Spectator
Brandy new to boards

Hello everyone , I was glad to find this site.
I just wanted to add my comment . :mad:
Can u believe,that is so bad!
Done in the true Christmas spirit,

Happy to be here and looking forward to meeting new people. :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I just read this article in the paper and couldn't believe what animals people can be:mad: Poor lady. I hope Wal-Mart does more then hold a DVD player for her!

I refuse to EVER be a part of a shopping mob. I avoid the day after Thanksgiving sales.

heyang

Record Breaker
OMG - that's outrageous - both the behavior of the people and Walmart.

I wonder if they can use the credit card transactions and video cameras to press charges against the people in the mob. It's the least they deserve for acting this way.

As for Walmart, they should be giving her a free shopping spree. When they saw the crowd, they should've called the police for crowd control.

There's a Lenox warehouse near my home. One year, the mob got so big and unruly that the employees shut down until the police arrived. Ever since, they have at least one police officer on site just to make sure people line up in a reasonable manner.

I went sofa shopping on Friday - the one I have is over 35 years old. Anyway, I didn't leave til late afternoon and was surprised to discover that traffic wasn't bad on a section of highway that has lots of shopping plazas and strip malls. So, I took advantage and did some shopping. I guess all the early birds were tired adn went home to nap.

There's no way that I would get up that early to be the 1st on line. I take Wednesday's off in December to shop and run errands just to avoid the weekend mall crowds. Even if I end up going to the mall on the weekend, it feels good knowing that I don't have to wait on line to pay when I can go back on Wednesday and not have to wait on line.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi Kasha, and welcome to the board. Hope you like it here.

Watching tv on Fri am, the local news people were at a Best Buy. The security people there let in one person at a time. Hope that was true of more stores. Couldn't understand why people would want to be there. After waiting in line to get in early, people waited in lines that were 2 and 3 hours long to checkout.

heyang

Record Breaker
My coworker told me that she & a friend were at Kohl's at 5AM opening and then at Target by 6AM. Her kids are outgrowing ToysRUs which is usually her 1st stop.