Johnny Weir Officially Comes Out (in his new book and PEOPLE Magazine) | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Officially Comes Out (in his new book and PEOPLE Magazine)

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Yeah, this is something we all knew, but thought it worth posting. I know that the forum rules say this topic is off-limits when the skater hasn't said anything, but Weir has decided to come out in his book and to PEOPLE Magazine, so hopefully it's OK to post this.

Johnny Weir has a memoir coming out soon called Welcome to My World and savvy marketing chap that he is, he's promoting it by leaking/selling excerpts to People magazine. The big news (or non-news) is that Weir finally, explicitly comes out as gay: "With people killing themselves and being scared into the closet, I hope that even just one person can gain strength from my story."

In the People article, Weir talks about his childhood when he was often mistaken for a little girl. Also, his often being called a "homo" or "******" by middle school students. He also mentions a clandestine affair he had with another male skater he refers to only as "Alex."

Just a small excerpt. Rest here:

http://www.afterelton.com/people/2011/01/johnny-weir-finally-really-out

Anyone have the January 17th edition of PEOPLE? Anything interesting in the Weir article?

Last edited:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
You have to admit, no matter what you think of his skating or his style, he's not afraid to be himself. Good for him.

R.D.

Record Breaker
this was blatantly obvious to anyone but nice to see him finally admitting it.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I applaud him for officially coming out. There is too much fear & loathing. I wish more people would do it and the death, teasing & self hatred would end.

Antilles

Medalist
I completely understand people not wanting to discuss their sexuality or any aspect of their personal lives in public. It's nobody's business but his.

I don't think we've come far enough when there is still so much speculation out there about celebrity sexuality, and a big hulabaloo is made every time someone comes out. If it were perfectly accepted, no one would think to talk about it. Straight people don't need press releases to state they are straight.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I completely understand people not wanting to discuss their sexuality or any aspect of their personal lives in public. It's nobody's business but his.

I think this is true on both sides. I get being in the public eye means we get to know more and privacy is less, but what happens in their personal lives should be just that. Brad Pitt, or Johnny Weir - doesn't matter, they owe me nothing.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
All these time, I thought he thought he was a swan. :biggrin:
It does get better, doesn't it?

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
I have never liked Johnny Weir's attitude or skating. This announcement doesn't change that. However, I'm glad he has come out. The timing certainly isn't bad for his wallet (book release and all), but now is better than never. It certainly helps to have another gay public figure. I'm not really sure I'd call it courageous though. If he had come out a few years ago, then he would have been risking a heck of a lot and worthy of much praise. Now? Not so much.

Also, as a gay man who volunteers by helping out gay teens, I'm a little put off by his comment about marrying a woman. He talks about people killing themselves and staying in the closet, so it seems like he's aware of the importance of role models for gay teens, but the whole idea that gay people can just marry people of the opposite sex (so quit whining homos) is something we are actively fighting against, so it doesn't exactly help for him to go there. Maybe for Johnny it really would be the best (though I question whether that comment isn't just an attempt to retain some of his nuttier female fans who actually imagine themselves with him), but for the vast majority of gay people, marrying someone of the opposite sex is a prison. Far too many gay people get married to people they're not sexually attracted to and it creates real problems decades down the line. We need same-sex marriage, not opposite-sex marriage with same-sex action on the side. Sorry, I know it sounds like I'm being hard on him, but I think it needs to be said.

I think there is a lot of gay/straight marriages going on. It's not an unusual scenario.

As for Johnny. I question his maturity more than what he is saying. He seems to be a part of the late-night club scene a la Studio 54.

As to Johnny's skating. I still think of him as one of the best ever, although that last one I saw was pretty much a downer. JMO.

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
After one skating competition that didn't go well, Johnny proclaimed "I didn't feel princessy", so this new announcement is no surprise.

ks777

Record Breaker
I am waiting for Johnny and Dick Button's marriage... They make a perfect couple.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As for Johnny. I question his maturity more than what he is saying. He seems to be a part of the late-night club scene a la Studio 54.

One of the few things we've always agreed on, Johnny's [lack of] maturity. Sadly much of our generation has his attitude. It's so frustrating.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Has someone seen my eyeballs? They popped out from the shock of this news and I haven't seen them or anything else since.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
One of the few things we've always agreed on, Johnny's [lack of] maturity. Sadly much of our generation has his attitude. It's so frustrating.

Nobody wants to have a real job anymore. They all want to be on MTV (and had to settle for Logo) They all want to be fashion designers and singers and models and actors. Johny is a problem. Sad day for America.