2011 Nordic Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2011 Nordic Championships

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Buhuu, DR TV only showed about 20 seconds on the Nordics.

Maybe there will be a little bit more coverage for the segment which will air at 21:40?

It also said Swedish Viktoria Helgesson won, although she fell on a "triple piroutte"?! The picture showed her falling on a triple lutz, but hey...

Clearly the reporter doesn't know anything about figure skating! :laugh: You should contact the network and insist that they hire you as a commentator. ;)

Linnea Mellgren ended up 2nd whereas Joshi Helgesson had a meltdown and finished 6th. Does Mellgren go to Worlds then? Anyone know?

Hmmm, good question. :think: Admittedly I follow the Swedish men much more closely than the Swedish ladies, so I only heard of Nordics being the determing factor for the guys.

snowflake (or any other Swedish FS fan), do you know if Joshi has already been named to the World team after Nationals, or did Linnea just earn her spot today?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Hm… Some not showing their best here, but overall I think the level is higher in Nordics now than in earlier years. I am impressed that Finland is continuing to produce ladies with very good technique/skating skills. It's a pity the girls from Iceland seem to quit FS before they reach senior age.

Buhuu, DR TV only showed about 20 seconds on the Nordics. It was about the ladies' long programs. It first showed Karina Johnson doing a 3S+1T. The speaker said she delivered a "stable" program (guess he couldn't come up with something more positive to say), and she was the highest ranked Dane with a 7th place. It also said Swedish Viktoria Helgesson won, although she fell on a "triple piroutte"?! The picture showed her falling on a triple lutz, but hey...

Isn't it depressing :rolleye:

Clearly the reporter doesn't know anything about figure skating! :laugh: You should contact the network and insist that they hire you as a commentator. ;)

:thumbsup:

Linnea Mellgren ended up 2nd whereas Joshi Helgesson had a meltdown and finished 6th. Does Mellgren go to Worlds then? Anyone know?

I don't know until the Swedish federation tells on their official website. My guess is that Joshi goes to Tokyo. She was third at a junior GP event and has done better than Linnea during the season. Good though with a third lady in the mix. Well done Linnea!

Maybe there will be a little bit more coverage for the segment which will air at 21:40?
Are you a born optimist???

As for Sasha, yes, he has some sort of a north-sweden accent, but it is not exactly how they speak in Luleå(well, Luleå has a mixed population with people moving in from the northern countryside and other cities). To my ear Sasha's "melody" sounds a bit like how they speak in north-eastern Sweden, in the parts bordering to Finland. Or maybe he just has his own russian-swedish-american-english dialect :cool:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker

There was a bit more, perhaps 1½ minutes. The speaker said that the ladies skated today at Nordics, and then a montage with skaters jumping and spinning was showed. A short interview with Karina Johnson was showed, where she said that she was happy to pull up to a 7th place. Then the speaker said, that not everyone was as good, and then a short montage of ladies skaters falling was showed :laugh: I guess they know, that average Danes will only care for this kind of slapstick - too bad :scowl:

The speaker did make it clear though, that Viktoria won because of her difficulty even though she fell...But looking at protocols I would say she won because of PCS because her program was not very difficult as she singled three planned triple jumps.

It is so hard to be a figure skating fan in Denmark...No one knows anything about this sport :disapp:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, Denmark does have a skater who eventually medalled at Worlds in pairs (2 bronze, 1 silver), Todd Sand with Jenny Meno, allbeit that they skated for the US. Todd first skated singles for Denmark. I saw him skate singles in 1981 for Denmark at Worlds in Hartford..

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Well, Denmark does have a skater who eventually medalled at Worlds in pairs (2 bronze, 1 silver), Todd Sand with Jenny Meno, allbeit that they skated for the US. Todd first skated singles for Denmark. I saw him skate singles in 1981 for Denmark at Worlds in Hartford..

I wasn't born back then, but do you know if he was known in Denmark at that time?

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Junior Men Final Results

1 Julian LAGUS FIN 140.41
2 Ondrej SPIEGL SWE 127.43
3 Mathias ANDERSSON SWE 120.18
4 Tino OLENIUS FIN 118.08
5 Juho PIRINEN FIN 114.50
6 Daniel NEUMAN SWE 105.93
7 Marcus BJÖRK SWE 105.51
8 Erik MARTOMA FIN 100.12
9 Simon BERGERSEN NOR 93.38

Senior Ladies Final Results

1 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE 149.35
2 Linnea MELLGREN SWE 134.35
3 Juulia TURKKILA FIN 131.87
4 Anne Line GJERSEM NOR 126.03
5 Beata PAPP FIN 123.85
6 Joshi HELGESSON SWE 123.42
7 Karina Sinding JOHNSON DEN 117.09
8 Alisa MIKONSAARI FIN 116.96
9 Christine ADRIAN SWE 110.70
10 Cecilia TÖRN FIN 105.52
11 Louise WESSBERG DEN 99.71
12 Sofie CASTLER DEN 89.38

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are you a born optimist???

Considering that I usually lurve inconsistent/headcase skaters like Koffe, I have to be an optimist! I wouldn't last long as a FS fan if I easily lost hope! :p

As for Sasha, yes, he has some sort of a north-sweden accent, but it is not exactly how they speak in Luleå(well, Luleå has a mixed population with people moving in from the northern countryside and other cities). To my ear Sasha's "melody" sounds a bit like how they speak in north-eastern Sweden, in the parts bordering to Finland.

Thanks for your thorough analysis. :) I obviously don't know anything about Swedish dialects, only that Sasha's accent sounds a little different than Koffe's, so I thought it was because he's from Luleå. (Hmm, I just realized that I've never heard Adrian speak in English...)

Or maybe he just has his own russian-swedish-american-english dialect

Ha ha ha, I hadn't considered that, but you might be right! :biggrin:

Then the speaker said, that not everyone was as good, and then a short montage of ladies skaters falling was showed. I guess they know, that average Danes will only care for this kind of slapstick - too bad

That's rather... tacky. I'd hate to think that's the only way for a Danish audience to be entertained by figure skating. :frown:

The speaker did make it clear though, that Viktoria won because of her difficulty even though she fell...But looking at protocols I would say she won because of PCS because her program was not very difficult as she singled three planned triple jumps.

Linnea received higher TES than Viktoria, so the reporter obviously doesn't know how to read the protocols properly. :sheesh:

It is so hard to be a figure skating fan in Denmark...No one knows anything about this sport

(((sequinsgalore))) You must feel so alone. :(

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Most of Viktoria Helgesson's LP has been posted on "On Sport": http://www.on-sport.dk/video/1162624/nordics2011_1-st-in-senior

The only other Senior Ladies performance on their website was Karina Johnson's: http://www.on-sport.dk/video/1162289/nordics2011_senior-ladies-from

I managed to find the segment which aired on DR TV. (I'm nothing if not resourceful! ;)) It starts at 4:15: http://www.dr.dk/NU/player/#/sportnyt/6042 Karina speaks in English in the interview; I'm guessing she's not Danish?

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I managed to find the segment which aired on DR TV. (I'm nothing if not resourceful! ;)) It starts at 4:15: http://www.dr.dk/NU/player/#/sportnyt/6042 Karina speaks in English in the interview; I'm guessing she's not Danish?

Nah, she's American but has a Danish mother, so that's why she's skating for Denmark. Thinking of it, all of our senior champions aren't entirely Danish: Johnson is American, Justus Strid is Swedish and Katelyn Good (ice dance w/Nikolaj Sørensen) is Canadian.

Denmark isn't exactly a big figure skating nation, so unfortunately we have to import them.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Considering that I usually lurve inconsistent/headcase skaters like Koffe, I have to be an optimist! I wouldn't last long as a FS fan if I easily lost hope! :p

same here... look to the left :biggrin:

Nah, she's American but has a Danish mother, so that's why she's skating for Denmark. Thinking of it, all of our senior champions aren't entirely Danish: Johnson is American, Justus Strid is Swedish and Katelyn Good (ice dance w/Nikolaj Sørensen) is Canadian.

Denmark isn't exactly a big figure skating nation, so unfortunately we have to import them.

And the lovely Mikkeline Kierkgaard you exported to Germany :laugh:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's a photo of the Senior Men's podium: http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l298/Harry11_2006/IMG_9897kopiera.jpg

Skaters had to "climb" to reach the Kiss & Cry area at Nordics :eek:: http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l298/Harry11_2006/IMG_9276.jpg Those steps must seem like a mountain after completing a performance... I guess whoever arranged the K&C doesn't realize just how exhausted these athletes are. :sheesh:

same here... look to the left :biggrin:

I did notice the similarity. ;)

What can I say? I guess whoever's in charge of Danish figure skating isn't too smart

So not only should you work as a figure skating commentator on Danish TV, you should run the Dansk Skøjte Union as well! :rock:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
For the Fangirl of Swedish Male FS… and for anyone else interested...

Excerpt from Luleå Konståkningsklubb(Luleå Skating Club):

Sasha convincingly won Nordics. Some revenge following the Swedish Nationals! I spoke today to Monica Blomberg, Piteå, who is a member of the Elite Committee, which names the competitors of the events. They have a telephone meeting on Tuesday. From what I have heard the skaters will be informed Tuesday evening (two out of the top three men), but it's not official until Thursday. So, maybe we have to wait that long until we know. Of course it would be fantastic to watch a LKK-skater on TV at worlds - and fair - but I quote what Sasha so wisely put it to P4(local news) right after his return to home: "The most important thing at Nordics was that I showed what I can. It is the federation that names the Swedish team for worlds"

Haha, the new polite, humble and mature Alexander Majorov is here!!!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For the Fangirl of Swedish Male FS…

Ha ha ha, is that my unofficial title now? :p

"The most important thing at Nordics was that I showed what I can. It is the federation that names the Swedish team for worlds"

Haha, the new polite, humble and mature Alexander Majorov is here!!!

I also like the young man I'm seeing now! :agree: Such a huge improvement in only two months.