Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Nordic Championships

Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    His name is spelled Erik Guay. CBC television will be showing the race tomorrow afternoon.
    I always wondered how he felt about his name. In Swedish TV they pronounce it like gay... so what does a simple soul know

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Here's Alexander Majorov's post-LP interview from "On Sport": http://www.on-sport.dk/video/1157004...-in-senior-men At the risk of sounding like a silly fangirl, I find Sasha's accent when he speaks in English to be very cute. It's Northern Swedish, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    I always wondered how he felt about his name. In Swedish TV they pronounce it like gay...
    Yes, his surname is pronounced "gay". I'm not sure how Erik survived all of the taunting...

Custom Title
    Good for Adrian. Not only moving up but actually winning the free skate. That UR call on the quad seemd to have bothered him and his new coaches.

Start orders for Sunday:

Junior Men LP:

Warm-Up Group 1
    1 Ondrej SPIEGL SWE
    2 Daniel NEUMAN SWE
    3 Erik MARTOMA FIN
    4 Marcus BJÖRK SWE

Warm-Up Group 2
    5 Simon BERGERSEN NOR
    6 Julian LAGUS FIN
    7 Juho PIRINEN FIN
    8 Mathias ANDERSSON SWE
    9 Tino OLENIUS FIN

Senior Ladies LP:

Warm-Up Group 1
    1 Sofie CASTLER DEN
    2 Linnea MELLGREN SWE
    3 Karina Sinding JOHNSON DEN
    4 Louise WESSBERG DEN
    5 Cecilia TÖRN FIN
    6 Christine ADRIAN SWE

Warm-Up Group 2
    7 Joshi HELGESSON SWE
    8 Alisa MIKONSAARI FIN
    9 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE
    10 Anne Line GJERSEM NOR
    11 Beata PAPP FIN
    12 Juulia TURKKILA FIN

Great results by the Norwegian team so far!!!

And congratulations to Sasha Majorov for showing that he is the best Swede right now.

I happen to notice this Danish message on the Nordics website homepage:

På Nordics 2011 sidste dag kom DR TV og optog et indslag til aftenens sportsudsendelse. Første indslag vil blive vist i Sporten efter TV Avisen kl. 18:30 og der vil også blive et indslag i DR Sporten kl. 21:40.

Approximate English translation with Google Translate: At Nordic 2011 last day came DR TV and filmed a spot for the evening sports broadcast. The first spots will appear in sport after TV newspaper at. 18:30 and there will also be a feature of sport at DR. 21:40.

Would you be able to watch this, sequinsgalore?

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    I happen to notice this Danish message on the Nordics website homepage:

På Nordics 2011 sidste dag kom DR TV og optog et indslag til aftenens sportsudsendelse. Første indslag vil blive vist i Sporten efter TV Avisen kl. 18:30 og der vil også blive et indslag i DR Sporten kl. 21:40.

Approximate English translation with Google Translate: At Nordic 2011 last day came DR TV and filmed a spot for the evening sports broadcast. The first spots will appear in sport after TV newspaper at. 18:30 and there will also be a feature of sport at DR. 21:40.

Would you be able to watch this, sequinsgalore?
    Yes, I should be able to watch it.

Here are highlights from Kristoffer Berntsson's LP: http://www.on-sport.dk/video/1161208...-in-senior-men

Alexander Majorov's free skate was presented in full: http://www.on-sport.dk/video/1161063...-in-senior-men

Oddly enough, there is no video for Adrian Schultheiss even though he won the LP and is the Nordic silver medalist. I can only guess that Koffe may be more popular, or the folks at "On Sport" enjoyed his MJ routine so much that they posted the highlights as a way to give him an "honourable mention". Well, whatever the reason, I'm glad I got to see some of Kris' skating, especially considering that his SP is nowhere to be found.

I did notice on the News section of the Nordics website that Berntsson received more compliments for his choreography than his teammates: http://www.nordics2011.dk/News/2011/...Programme.aspx , http://www.nordics2011.dk/News/2011/...ior%20Men.aspx . So whatever faults he has as a competitor, it appears that the Danes still appreciate him as a performer.
    Last edited by siberia82; 02-13-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Buhuu, DR TV only showed about 20 seconds on the Nordics. It was about the ladies' long programs. It first showed Karina Johnson doing a 3S+1T. The speaker said she delivered a "stable" program (guess he couldn't come up with something more positive to say), and she was the highest ranked Dane with a 7th place. It also said Swedish Viktoria Helgesson won, although she fell on a "triple piroutte"?! The picture showed her falling on a triple lutz, but hey...

Linnea Mellgren ended up 2nd whereas Joshi Helgesson had a meltdown and finished 6th. Does Mellgren go to Worlds then? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by sequinsgalore View Post
    Buhuu, DR TV only showed about 20 seconds on the Nordics.
    Maybe there will be a little bit more coverage for the segment which will air at 21:40?

It also said Swedish Viktoria Helgesson won, although she fell on a "triple piroutte"?! The picture showed her falling on a triple lutz, but hey...
    Clearly the reporter doesn't know anything about figure skating! You should contact the network and insist that they hire you as a commentator.

Linnea Mellgren ended up 2nd whereas Joshi Helgesson had a meltdown and finished 6th. Does Mellgren go to Worlds then? Anyone know?
    Hmmm, good question. Admittedly I follow the Swedish men much more closely than the Swedish ladies, so I only heard of Nordics being the determing factor for the guys.

snowflake (or any other Swedish FS fan), do you know if Joshi has already been named to the World team after Nationals, or did Linnea just earn her spot today?

Hm… Some not showing their best here, but overall I think the level is higher in Nordics now than in earlier years. I am impressed that Finland is continuing to produce ladies with very good technique/skating skills. It's a pity the girls from Iceland seem to quit FS before they reach senior age.

Buhuu, DR TV only showed about 20 seconds on the Nordics. It was about the ladies' long programs. It first showed Karina Johnson doing a 3S+1T. The speaker said she delivered a "stable" program (guess he couldn't come up with something more positive to say), and she was the highest ranked Dane with a 7th place. It also said Swedish Viktoria Helgesson won, although she fell on a "triple piroutte"?! The picture showed her falling on a triple lutz, but hey...
    Isn't it depressing

Clearly the reporter doesn't know anything about figure skating! You should contact the network and insist that they hire you as a commentator.

I don't know until the Swedish federation tells on their official website. My guess is that Joshi goes to Tokyo. She was third at a junior GP event and has done better than Linnea during the season. Good though with a third lady in the mix. Well done Linnea!

Maybe there will be a little bit more coverage for the segment which will air at 21:40?
    Are you a born optimist???

As for Sasha, yes, he has some sort of a north-sweden accent, but it is not exactly how they speak in Luleå(well, Luleå has a mixed population with people moving in from the northern countryside and other cities). To my ear Sasha's "melody" sounds a bit like how they speak in north-eastern Sweden, in the parts bordering to Finland. Or maybe he just has his own russian-swedish-american-english dialect

There was a bit more, perhaps 1½ minutes. The speaker said that the ladies skated today at Nordics, and then a montage with skaters jumping and spinning was showed. A short interview with Karina Johnson was showed, where she said that she was happy to pull up to a 7th place. Then the speaker said, that not everyone was as good, and then a short montage of ladies skaters falling was showed I guess they know, that average Danes will only care for this kind of slapstick - too bad

The speaker did make it clear though, that Viktoria won because of her difficulty even though she fell...But looking at protocols I would say she won because of PCS because her program was not very difficult as she singled three planned triple jumps.

It is so hard to be a figure skating fan in Denmark...No one knows anything about this sport

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Well, Denmark does have a skater who eventually medalled at Worlds in pairs (2 bronze, 1 silver), Todd Sand with Jenny Meno, allbeit that they skated for the US. Todd first skated singles for Denmark. I saw him skate singles in 1981 for Denmark at Worlds in Hartford..

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Well, Denmark does have a skater who eventually medalled at Worlds in pairs (2 bronze, 1 silver), Todd Sand with Jenny Meno, allbeit that they skated for the US. Todd first skated singles for Denmark. I saw him skate singles in 1981 for Denmark at Worlds in Hartford..
    I wasn't born back then, but do you know if he was known in Denmark at that time?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast