Rachael Flatt's New SP | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt's New SP

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And if you don't like Rachael's interpretation, you can look over her shoulder and see Michelle Kwan's split falling leaf into a change-edge spread-eagle. :love:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Rachael Flatt has not yet won the Bronze or Pewter medals at Nationals. It will be a real shame if she doesn't win one of them this year, to make her collection more complete.

feraina

Record Breaker
And if you don't like Rachael's interpretation, you can look over her shoulder and see Michelle Kwan's split falling leaf into a change-edge spread-eagle. :love:

Oh, my, that was the best split falling leaf into spread-eagle EVER!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Anything would be better than the current sp but the music choice is a bit...:eek:
With all respect to Mrs Nichol, she must have been left with only two cds in her car the last 15 years..:rolleye:

Is Lori the choreographer of this new piece?

East of Eden used for another skater? What's next: Nagasu skating to Lyra Angelica?

As I said on another thread, Lori was always someone who found the most unusual music. Now she's using Scheherezade (in fact, re-using it) and recycling (if this new SP is by her) early pieces for other skaters.

Say it ain't so!

East of Eden used for another skater? What's next: Nagasu skating to Lyra Angelica?
As I said on another thread, Lori was always someone who found the most unusual music. Now she's using Scheherezade (in fact, re-using it) and recycling (if this new SP is by her) early pieces for other skaters.
It may be the skater in question suggested it. It's about all the input a skater has for the PC choreography slot. I think it was Nagasu who wanted Carmen and she would have been the umpteenth skater to use that easy music, but she brought it to another level and it was a smashing success. Didn't Nichol choreogralph that?

Good Luck to Rachael with East of Eden. She just might bring it to another level. We'll see.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'd forgotten there for a bit that Lori is Rachael's choreographer. Sigh. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I wonder what they thought was "Rachael" about East of Eden.

Then again, it may turn out to be exactly the right kind of music for her. Maybe they just wanted something mature - which is definitely a good thing for her. Rachael is best when she's allowed to hold out her moves - which she actually can do - and which these jazzy pieces they seem to like for her don't really allow her to do. She shouldn't do fast pieces because it brings out her weaknesses. She's not so good at sharp, staccato dancing. But she's good at more soulful music where she gets to sort of glide and hold out her moves. I hope she has a spread eagle in her SP because hers are great.

Rachael's season has been so unexpected, very up and down. Good luck to her and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight

Say it ain't so!

Yes, say it isn't so. Some music selections are sacred and should never be used again...EoE, Scheherezade, Lyra Angelica, Bolero...

How many programs to East of Eden are there?

Pogue, to my knowledge there are two in Michelle's arsenal. One she did in about 1995 (and I can't recall whether it was an SP or an exhibition). The second was (please correct me if I'm wrong) her SP for her "rebelling" year of 2002, when she broke away from Nichol. It was certainly around there, and I can't at this point recall whether it was Nichol's choreography or whether Michelle revamped it herself.

I'm just now listening to an unusual sound track by Miklos Rozsa, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. The suite is about 8 minutes long, but it could be successfully modified for a skate program, and it would have the virtue of being a bit more novel. It has some interesting variations of rhythm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G2eEdznS2I

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I'm rather surprised to hear she is ditching her original SP - only because it's always risky to start over mid-season. This is a new program for her and not an older one she is recyecling correct? I wonder what all the variables were that affected this change - though I can think of a few. Hopefully, this is a sign that she and her team realize that things are not working like the use to and change is needed. Hopefully, this is that change.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
It is such a pretty piece of music and recognizable. I am pretty sure her team has thought this thing out. Maybe she will relax and skate like it is an exhibition. A flowing dress might be nice too.

If anyone wants to know the lyrics of this tune, here they are.

"I have seen a summer day,
that slowly opens like a rose,
along a quiet road that wanders by
and I have smiled and wondered where it goes.

"I have stumbled through the night,
alone as any one can be,
then found a silent canyon full of stars
and in my heart I heard them telling me
I was home.

"The gentle winds, the rain that falls,
the tallest trees, I'm part of it all.

"I've seen the silver mountaintops,
and golden prairies on my way.
Now everywhere I go across the land
I stand so proudly in the sun and say,
I am home.

"The gentle winds, the rain that falls,
the tallest trees, I'm part of it all. (of it all, of it A-A-A-L-L !!! **cymbal crash**)

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/50...1DCC4BB9D689BC00D28D4F04D7464B01E70F2B3269972

"I've dreamed of Eden all my life.
I find it more and more each day.
Now everywhere I go across the land
I stand so proudly in the sun and say,
I am home."