Rachael Flatt's New SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt's New SP

seniorita

Record Breaker
In the Land of The Carmens...
:laugh:I liked this phrase so much, it could belong in trailer for national championships with this deep voice like in movies..In the land of the Thousands Carmens ...east of Eden Garden...where Romeo met his Juliet ....and the Witches of Eastwick spell their magic ... there´s a beautiful mind ♫♫♫:)

Also, East of Eden is a long movie, at least an hour long. I'm sure Rachael doesn't have to use the exact same cuts.

That's it! Lori Nicole is scamming us big time, laughing up her sleeve the whole way.

The actual song that Michelle skated to was "An American Hymn." I think the exact version was from the end credits of the movie. Rachael might be skating to music from the score of "East of Eden" that has never been used before. :rock:

lavender

Record Breaker
It was Michelle's exhibitions of EOE that were just awesome.

If Rachel could skate even remotely close to Michelle then it wouldn't be a big deal but I know if it's the same cuts I'm going to have to watch Michelle's pro competition right after to cleanse the palate.

I mean I'm not really a Sasha fan but if Rachel skated to Sasha's Dark Eyes, R & J or the masterpiece Malagueña I would have to watch Sasha right after.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The actual song that Michelle skated to was "An American Hymn." I think the exact version was from the end credits of the movie. Rachael might be skating to music from the score of "East of Eden" that has never been used before.
No, Flatt is using "An American Hymn" -- confirmed by someone at FSU who watched an exhibition performance. I've seen dozens of short programs using this "East of Eden" music over the years at club and qualifying competitions (all levels) and it's pretty much always the same edit(s). ;)

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No, no, not that generic blah SP.

HOW VERY DARE YOU!

2001 Worlds was Michelle's best version of the SP. I don't understand the black dress she wore at Nationals. The orange dress at Worlds went with the feeling of the music better - a giant ray of inspirational sunshine.

herro

On the Ice
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't.

The majority of figure skaters don't actually follow figure skating closely, especially competitions from before their time. Some even nearly loathe having to watch skating, after being around it so much.

Yea, I do see some sense there. If she doesn't know about the music, hopefully someone will tell her so that she can at least attempt to live up to its standards! :)

It really is a bit of nonsense to speak about the best interpreter of a piece of music. The more skaters use the music, the more is becomes challenging.

I had seen, many years ago, Galina Ulanova's White Swan Queen. She had to be over 60 and for me, well past her prime. Killgalan in her column said she couldn't dance out of a paper bag. Dreadful critic. I tried thinking about her as 35 years younger and she appeared in my imagination as super. I also saw Fonteyn and Alonso do the White Swans in their prime. Super!

Rachael doesn't have to compare at this age with Kwan (who imo, is past her prime). She may give it a new twist. Let's see.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
I'm sure everyone here knows this, and I think I mentioned this once before, but just in case there is anyone here who doesn't, I'll say it anyway. The music that Kwan skated to is not from the classic movie starring James Dean. Instead, it's from the 1981 TV miniseries of the same name starring Jane Seymour. It is obvious based on some of the reviews on Amazon for a compilation of the work of the movie composer that some people are unaware of this. For example, there is this two-star review:

I was so excited while watching a tape of Michelle Kwan skating to "East of Eden". I had heard the music for years and could never remember the name. So, when I discovered there was a recording of it, I was enthralled. To my complete disappointment, the CD skips over the most lucid and poignant lines of the melody in favor of a sampling approach. I will probably never listen to the CD again. My only hope is Michelle will keep her program for a while

http://www.amazon.com/review/RALAM1BIUSB76

:laugh:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It really is a bit of nonsense to speak about the best interpreter of a piece of music. The more skaters use the music, the more is becomes challenging.

I had seen, many years ago, Galina Ulanova's White Swan Queen. She had to be over 60 and for me, well past her prime. Killgalan in her column said she couldn't dance out of a paper bag. Dreadful critic. I tried thinking about her as 35 years younger and she appeared in my imagination as super. I also saw Fonteyn and Alonso do the White Swans in their prime. Super!

Rachael doesn't have to compare at this age with Kwan (who imo, is past her prime). She may give it a new twist. Let's see.

But Michelle was in her prime when she skated to EOE. I think that is the comparison folks are making.

Oreo

On the Ice
I think the larger problem with using music that's closely associated with someone else is that it doesn't help you become memorable in your own right. There's a lot of utterly fantastic music out there that has never been skated to, so why not become original?

Nadine

Record Breaker
If anyone hasn't yet seen the 1981 movie of the same name I HIGHLY recommend it! :thumbsup:

Lol, I still have mine on VHS, which I recorded when I first saw it on t.v. as a young teenager. Nobody but nobody compares to Jane Seymour during that time, she honestly was the Queen of television miniseries, but I have to say her best piece of work is truly "East of Eden".

My favorite scene(s) of many has to be the ones wherein they show flashbacks of her growing up as a young girl in a small town in the midwest ~ SUPERB/CLASSIC/ETC. ETC. ETC.!!!!!!!

And how can I forget Karen Allen, she was phenomenal as Abra (lol, which coincided with the famous 1980's song during that time "Abra Kadabra"). :laugh: And Bruce Boxlightner? (Melissa Gilbert's husband) was equally phenomenal, as was the young Caleb. The whole movie was just outstanding.

All this talk just whets my appetite (darn, wish my DVD/VCR was working). Hopefully they will have it on youtube, so when I get back tonight I can watch it. :)

ps: Michelle's connection to the movie imho comes through in the wise older Chinese man from California, whom knows what Jane Seymour's character really is..., and whom guides the young Caleb, tries to help him.

I think the larger problem with using music that's closely associated with someone else is that it doesn't help you become memorable in your own right. There's a lot of utterly fantastic music out there that has never been skated to, so why not become original?

An excellent point. Rimsky Korsakov's Scheherezade has so many interpretations, but I've never seen a skater at the senior world level skating to a cut from "Antar," a symphony by the same composer. Anyone who did skate to something like that would be able to claim fans' memories of that music, especially if he/she did a spectacular job of interpreting it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
It was Michelle's exhibitions of EOE that were just awesome.

If Rachel could skate even remotely close to Michelle then it wouldn't be a big deal but I know if it's the same cuts I'm going to have to watch Michelle's pro competition right after to cleanse the palate.

I mean I'm not really a Sasha fan but if Rachel skated to Sasha's Dark Eyes, R & J or the masterpiece Malagueña I would have to watch Sasha right after.

Well, to be fair Malaguena and Romeo and Juliet are total war horses and Sasha's not the only one to do them justice. Kristi Yamaguchi comes to mind. :) I think Malaguena was Sasha's best SP ever though so it is very hard for me to watch another skater skating to it. Except when I look back at Kristi's 1992 nationals LP of course.

I don't know if that has colored my view of Ashley Wagner's LP this year - probably - but I think Malaguena was a poor choice for her. I actually think Rachael will be better at E0E than Ashley is at Malaguena.

Of course, much depends on how prepared Rachael will be with a new program. I'm really surprised at her decision. I would have thought it would be enough for her to recover from her injury and make up practice time without having to deal with learning a new program at that last minute. I wonder why they thought the old SP wasn't working for her. Very curious to see how what'll look like. Just another mystery to add excitement to nationals this year :)

Six months later he (Frank Carroll) phoned me and said: 'Lori I want you to come and work with this little girl that I have, she's very good and she needs your help.'

:)

lavender

Record Breaker
But Michelle was in her prime when she skated to EOE. I think that is the comparison folks are making.

Exactly...

Well, to be fair Malaguena and Romeo and Juliet are total war horses and Sasha's not the only one to do them justice. Kristi Yamaguchi comes to mind. I think Malaguena was Sasha's best SP ever though so it is very hard for me to watch another skater skating to it. Except when I look back at Kristi's 1992 nationals LP of course.

You are right and that's why I said Rachel. Kristi is another matter.:)

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
This music makes me sad, though at the end there does seems to be a bit of triumph! :thumbsup: Still, it makes me think of Nicolas Cage, whose passion for wanting to become an actor started with his first viewing of "East of Eden" starring James Dean as a young teenager. He ran out of the theatre crying because he identified with Caleb's character so badly, always trying in vein to please his father throughout his life, with money, fame, fortune. Yet his dad didn't want these things. His own father became a teacher/professor to the chagrin of his famous family, whom all went into the movie business making big money compared to his father's modest salary. A tale of two brothers right there ~ August vs. Francis. I prefer August by far, especially after seeing Francis dating Thora Birch while still married to his wife.

On a much happier note, my favorite version of "East of Eden" is the one with Jane Seymour; the ending gives one hope. Ditto for Michelle's! :)

Very true, demainis - I was just thinking let Rachael make her own interpretation of EOE. After we see it, we can compare it with MK, but I'd be more interested if it gets her on a gold or silver podium this Nats which is at a premium.