Chan To Do Two Quads In His LP At Canadian Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Chan To Do Two Quads In His LP At Canadian Nationals

herios

Medalist
Isnt Reynolds young? And still lands it sometimes? I think he should keep trying, it is an important jump. Lambiel first of all had the 3axel before he paused in 2008, sometimes it wasnt there but he hadnt abandoned it. And it was not like he left it out in his comeback afterwards for no reason. It was clear he coudlnt even rotate it.
But he could afford to take it off because of a list of things that Reynolds doenst have.

I wanted to reply yesterday to Nadine and I postponed it for today, so I am glad I am seeing your reply here. I completely disagree with the idea that Reynolds should take out his 3a, especially from his SP.
It would bring his base mark way down, leaving him with 2 very high risk elements which he would need to nail and we have seen how consistent he is (NOT) on those. He often underrotates at least one and the chances to miss at least one are quite high. And yes, Lambiel could afford to drop his 3a, as he was the BEST as far as spins and one of the best in artistry, while Kevin is work in progress there and he probably never come anywhere close to Lambiel in spins and footwork.
In the LP, there is a way to compensate a missing triple axel, with a combo like Sawyer does for example late in his LP (2a/2t/2l) or a 2a/3t, but in the SP there will be no room for error as far as succeding on the two other quad jumps.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Reynolds doesn't have much without quads. If he takes out 3A, what does he rely on to compete? I see him even weaker than Tim Goebel in other aspects other than jumps. But, granted, he is still young and he can improve. Hopefully, he could improve a great deal in the coming years.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
For Reynolds, I'm more concerned about his coach, truth be told. She tends to talk up her skaters quite a bit, but most of them (Ten, Reynolds, Leung, Sandhu) have significant consistency/mental toughness issues. I see her doing the same thing with Nam Nguyen (mentioning him in the same breath as Kim and Kwan) and I really don't want to see him falter at her machinations.

Reynolds is improving in most aspects, and I suspect if he doesn't have to worry about the 3A, he'll improve his consistency on the other elements. The downside is if he doesn't improve his consistency on those quads, then yeah - he has nothing to crack the top two tiers in the world.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
None of current skaters has quad jumps as consistent as Patrick Chan's. This is one thing that I still couldn't get over it with amazement. Thank you, Patrick Chan! Thank you for bringing back the excitement that I had in Alexei Yagudin era! Soooo excited for him and looking forward to the worlds!:party::party2: