Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Possible Podium Spoilers at the US Nats

The Possible Podium Spoilers at the US Nats

Which Second Tier Skater may possibly upset the Podium? Your Guess.

Aaron, Dornbush, Armin, Keegan, Other?

I would say Armin at this point, although I haven't seen anything more than his SA.

For the Ladies:

Gilles, Zawadski, Gao, Other?

I would say Zawadski who seems very serious and determined to make this her sport.

My guess would be Dornbush or even young Brown. Since you chose Zawadski, I'll say Gao.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

I would say Armin at this point, although I haven't seen anything more than his SA.

For the Ladies:

I would say Zawadski who seems very serious and determined to make this her sport.
    Armin and Christina. See my post under the predictions thread for rationale.

Also, what discussion does this new thread allow for that couldn't be included in the predictions thread? (Sure, it's more specific, but knowing these forums, we'll end up with ... or, as it often happens, both will, due to an inexplicable turn of events, turn into general discussions on Patrick Chan. Or Yuna Kim. Or some other contentious skater.)

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    Armin and Christina. See my post under the predictions thread for rationale.

Also, what discussion does this new thread allow for that couldn't be included in the predictions thread? (Sure, it's more specific, but knowing these forums, we'll end up with ... or, as it often happens, both will, due to an inexplicable turn of events, turn into general discussions on Patrick Chan. Or Yuna Kim. Or some other contentious skater.)
    It's more of a what if thread. There are favorite skaters in the top tier of entrants. So if one (or more) falters and a second tier skater rises to the occasion, who would it be.

Since I don't predict. I find too many predictions are based on nationality, ethnic backgrounds and music choices. We're not looking for the most popular skater. Hopefully, we have some feelings about the individiual skaters of the second tier. I do and would like to read that others do, too.

Custom Title
    When I first saw Zawadski, she caught my eyes as the American lady with strong jumps, but it seems that nerves have gotten to her this season. Well, it was her senior debut so I don't blame her. I would give Zawadski a little more time to mature. I loved Gao last year at nationals though. From videos (this season) I've seen of her, I think she's most likely the second tier ladies skater who may find herself high up in the rankings. I would love it if she were to medal, actually. I see a lot of potential in her for the future.

For the men, maybe Patrick Chan? I AM QUITE KIDDING.

Custom Title
    Well, I would say Samantha Cesario, but she just withdrew from nationals. So, Gao, Zawadzki and maybe Lam or Siraj.

For men, Dornbush, maybe Messing

Tripping on the Podium
    I'll say Armin or Dornbush for the men, Zawadzki (if she holds it together in the LP) for the Ladies.

Welcome to the forum, ibauer. Post often, post long!

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

For the Ladies:

Aaron is competing in Junior Men, not Senior for the record, so obviously there won't be an upset there.

Armin will upset if one of the veterans falters, Dornbush could also push through.

Zawadski could challenge for Gold if she gets her act together on the LP. I've learned from watching to never underestimate Z's students. She can pull it off with a cleaner 3+3 combo than Flatt. On the other hand, Flatt could destroy technically if she's on her game.

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    My guess would be Dornbush or even young Brown. Since you chose Zawadski, I'll say Gao.
    Unless Jason Brown got a 3A recently, don't expect him to challenge yet.

Custom Title
    Armin could definately spoil for the podium, as could Caroline.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Armin could definately spoil for the podium, as could Caroline.
    Armin, yes, Caroline...I think it would be a stretch for her this year as she's made so many changes recently. Next year is a definite possibility though.

Tripping on the Podium
    I don't think Caroline will make the podium this year. Maybe next year if she sticks with Oppegard, gains some speed, and gets her technique issues sorted out.

Banned
    Caroline is done. I would be shocked if she is ever top 5 at Nationals again. With the veterans who have long passed her by and all the up and comers she is going to be buried.

I cant see what she can do even with hard work at this point. She has lost all her best qualities except the Pearl Spin sometimes, she has lost the cute factor, she will always have problems with speed, the judges perceive her as a has been, and just fixing her jump technique to go from horrendous to bearably mediocre jumps will not do anything for her at this point.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I would definitely vote for Agnes and Christina as the biggest potential podium spoilers for the ladies. But as the season progressed, I'm now sort of betting on the "veterans" to make the podium again. Mirai, Alissa and Rachael probably.

I know Rachael is a question mark after the GPF but assuming it was a fluke and she'll be back on form, I don't see her missing the podium if she doesn't fall apart. Mirai and Alissa are always iffy but I'm betting on clean or cleanish performances for them. And then there is Ashley. I suppose Christina or Agnes could edge a solid Ashley out by out-jumping her but they will have to be stellar.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast