The Possible Podium Spoilers at the US Nats | Golden Skate

The Possible Podium Spoilers at the US Nats

Which Second Tier Skater may possibly upset the Podium? Your Guess.

Aaron, Dornbush, Armin, Keegan, Other?

I would say Armin at this point, although I haven't seen anything more than his SA.

For the Ladies:

Gilles, Zawadski, Gao, Other?

I would say Zawadski who seems very serious and determined to make this her sport.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice

I would say Armin at this point, although I haven't seen anything more than his SA.

For the Ladies:

I would say Zawadski who seems very serious and determined to make this her sport.

Armin and Christina. See my post under the predictions thread for rationale.

Also, what discussion does this new thread allow for that couldn't be included in the predictions thread? (Sure, it's more specific, but knowing these forums, we'll end up with ... or, as it often happens, both will, due to an inexplicable turn of events, turn into general discussions on Patrick Chan. Or Yuna Kim. Or some other contentious skater.)

Armin and Christina. See my post under the predictions thread for rationale.

Also, what discussion does this new thread allow for that couldn't be included in the predictions thread? (Sure, it's more specific, but knowing these forums, we'll end up with ... or, as it often happens, both will, due to an inexplicable turn of events, turn into general discussions on Patrick Chan. Or Yuna Kim. Or some other contentious skater.)
It's more of a what if thread. There are favorite skaters in the top tier of entrants. So if one (or more) falters and a second tier skater rises to the occasion, who would it be.

Since I don't predict. I find too many predictions are based on nationality, ethnic backgrounds and music choices. We're not looking for the most popular skater. Hopefully, we have some feelings about the individiual skaters of the second tier. I do and would like to read that others do, too.

herro

On the Ice
When I first saw Zawadski, she caught my eyes as the American lady with strong jumps, but it seems that nerves have gotten to her this season. Well, it was her senior debut so I don't blame her. I would give Zawadski a little more time to mature. I loved Gao last year at nationals though. From videos (this season) I've seen of her, I think she's most likely the second tier ladies skater who may find herself high up in the rankings. I would love it if she were to medal, actually. I see a lot of potential in her for the future.

For the men, maybe Patrick Chan? I AM QUITE KIDDING. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well, I would say Samantha Cesario, but she just withdrew from nationals. So, Gao, Zawadzki and maybe Lam or Siraj.

For men, Dornbush, maybe Messing

ibauer

Rinkside
I'll say Armin or Dornbush for the men, Zawadzki (if she holds it together in the LP) for the Ladies.

hyperbunny

Rinkside

For the Ladies:

Aaron is competing in Junior Men, not Senior for the record, so obviously there won't be an upset there.

Armin will upset if one of the veterans falters, Dornbush could also push through.

Zawadski could challenge for Gold if she gets her act together on the LP. I've learned from watching to never underestimate Z's students. She can pull it off with a cleaner 3+3 combo than Flatt. On the other hand, Flatt could destroy technically if she's on her game.

ibauer

Rinkside
I don't think Caroline will make the podium this year. Maybe next year if she sticks with Oppegard, gains some speed, and gets her technique issues sorted out.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Caroline is done. I would be shocked if she is ever top 5 at Nationals again. With the veterans who have long passed her by and all the up and comers she is going to be buried.

I cant see what she can do even with hard work at this point. She has lost all her best qualities except the Pearl Spin sometimes, she has lost the cute factor, she will always have problems with speed, the judges perceive her as a has been, and just fixing her jump technique to go from horrendous to bearably mediocre jumps will not do anything for her at this point.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I would definitely vote for Agnes and Christina as the biggest potential podium spoilers for the ladies. But as the season progressed, I'm now sort of betting on the "veterans" to make the podium again. Mirai, Alissa and Rachael probably.

I know Rachael is a question mark after the GPF but assuming it was a fluke and she'll be back on form, I don't see her missing the podium if she doesn't fall apart. Mirai and Alissa are always iffy but I'm betting on clean or cleanish performances for them. And then there is Ashley. I suppose Christina or Agnes could edge a solid Ashley out by out-jumping her but they will have to be stellar.

ibauer

Rinkside
Hmmm. I don't see Gao overtaking Wagner unless Ashley implodes. I don't think Gao has much artistry yet.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline is done. I would be shocked if she is ever top 5 at Nationals again. With the veterans who have long passed her by and all the up and comers she is going to be buried.

I cant see what she can do even with hard work at this point. She has lost all her best qualities except the Pearl Spin sometimes, she has lost the cute factor, she will always have problems with speed, the judges perceive her as a has been, and just fixing her jump technique to go from horrendous to bearably mediocre jumps will not do anything for her at this point.

Alissa was a has-been. But she bounced back and the judges gave her what she deserved.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would definitely vote for Agnes and Christina as the biggest potential podium spoilers for the ladies. But as the season progressed, I'm now sort of betting on the "veterans" to make the podium again. Mirai, Alissa and Rachael probably.

I know Rachael is a question mark after the GPF but assuming it was a fluke and she'll be back on form, I don't see her missing the podium if she doesn't fall apart. Mirai and Alissa are always iffy but I'm betting on clean or cleanish performances for them. And then there is Ashley. I suppose Christina or Agnes could edge a solid Ashley out by out-jumping her but they will have to be stellar.

Since almost nobody is picking them to finish top 3 let alone top 2 to make the World team, I think Wagner, Gao, and Agnes could all be picked as good dark horses. Any of those 3 are capable of finishing 3rd or even 2nd depending on what transpires. Of course Czisny, Nagasu, and Flatt are the favorites, probably in that order. I have a feeling Flatt is the one who will find herself dumped to a surprisingly low placement unless she skates really well though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Alissa was a has-been. But she bounced back and the judges gave her what she deserved.

Alissa has many redeeming qualities which is not based on being tiny and she hasnt lost with age now as a fully grown women, so can always post results again if she skates consistently.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Alissa has many redeeming qualities which is not based on being tiny and she hasnt lost with age now as a fully grown women, so can always post results again if she skates consistently.

Agreed. Caroline I'd more group into the Kimmie Meissner situation. Dramatic change in body type led to dramatic decline in overall skating. Commentators try to cover this up by saying these skaters are "maturing" and "improving in artistry" but what they really mean is that they have gained substantial weight and/or height which has caused the triples to abandon these skaters leaving "artistry" as the only thing left to talk about.