Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62

Thread: The Possible Podium Spoilers at the US Nats

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I just have to say this sport is dead. :(((( Seriously, 2 days before Canadian Nationals & less than a week before US Nationals, and there are only a handful of regular posters posting. And not just here, but elsewhere on the 'net as well.

    This makes me long for the days of old when skating was popular. I miss Adrian Chew's old original figure skating message board where hundreds of posters regularly posted each day. Can't believe it was 13 yrs. ago. :(

    The one bright side was seeing how many people turned out for Skate America in Portland, Oregon, there must've been at least a thousand or more people around me, definitely 1000+ times more people that actually attend a skating event versus the handful that actually post on the f.s. boards nowadays.

    Here's hoping US Nationals is also well attended and the t.v. ratings go up a bit.

  2. #32
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,661
    Usually posting goes up after an event, as the posters refight the event. What is disappointing me is that not too many folks seem to be watching the Canadian Juniors. Their dancers are particularly good, and what's more at least 4 different sets of coaches from at least 3 parts of the country are in the top 6 teams. (Which I think is excellent). Here in the states, the top of nationals is so often an inter Detroit competition.

  3. #33
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    This makes me long for the days of old when skating was popular. I miss Adrian Chew's old original figure skating message board where hundreds of posters regularly posted each day. Can't believe it was 13 yrs. ago. :(
    was never a fan of that group, loved Skate Forum, but that was before Adrian Chew did his all encompasing FS board... once Skate Forum tanked I came here.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Totally off-topic, my apologies everyone, but where's poster janetfan?

    I remember he used to post every day, what happened? Of course I'm not here all the time either, especially during the holidays, but did I miss something?

    Just seems weird not to see his constant postings every day, sure I didn't always agree with his POV, but I can't believe I actual miss his postings.

    Here's hoping he's allright, and just taking a break from the board. (:^)

  5. #35
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    What about possible podium spoilers for pairs and dance?
    Pairs - Castelli and Schnapir, Marley and Brubaker, Davis and Theftheris, Vise and Baldwin and Donlan and Speroff.
    You listed so many that I am really perked up about to see. I think Castelli and Schnapir being the most seasoned and experienced will win it. Hoping M/B get the other spot because he lost out last year when he was the favorite.

  6. #36
    Whippet Good!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I just have to say this sport is dead. :(((( Seriously, 2 days before Canadian Nationals & less than a week before US Nationals, and there are only a handful of regular posters posting. And not just here, but elsewhere on the 'net as well.
    US Nationals is still a week away, and really, what is there to talk about until the competition starts? At this point, wheels are just spinning until the skaters get on the ice. It'll probably pick up a bit this weekend with Canadian nationals and Euros will start next week, too. Until the skaters get on the ice, there isn't really much to talk about.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I for one would hate to see how terrible the ladies competition at US Nationals would be if Christina Gao wins the US title. Not very awesome at all. Realistically, Gao is at the mercy of how well the US top ladies fare--as headcase-ish as some of the top US ladies are, I highly doubt that all 4 of Czisny, Nagasu, Wagner and Flatt will bomb in a single competition.
    In my opinion, she is better than Flatt, whose only redeeming traits were her consistency and ability to rotate jumps - both of which seem to have abandoned her this season, and Wagner, who I just don't think is that special/great, at this point. Czisny is lovely but her jump layouts are rather lame, she is not capable of doing a 3 jump combo it seems and it's been years and years since she's even attempted a 3-3 - this is 2011 not 1960! So that leaves Mirai - she is awesome and probably the best lady in the field right now, but she's also coming off an injury and prone to URs and meltdowns.

    I don't see how it would be terrible at all if Christina Gao won nationals if she completes her beautiful 3f-3t in both programs and lands 7 of her high quality triples in the FS. It would be a great sign for the future of US figure skating. Lots of people think she's the next Yuna Kim. Everyone's hyping up Alissa but she's been around for ages, is probably past her prime, and has low jumps that are always questionable in terms of rotation. I really hope Christina, Agnes, Vanessa, or Yasmin wins nationals if Mirai doesn't because I think they all have heaps more potential than Czisny, Flatt and Wagner.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    was never a fan of that group, loved Skate Forum, but that was before Adrian Chew did his all encompasing FS board... once Skate Forum tanked I came here.
    Lol, Tonichelle, we must've posted at the same time last night, didn't see your post until now. I'm not sure I remember Skate Forum? But then again I didn't get back from Peace Corps until 1998, and that's when I caved in & went the way of the internet. Of course the first thing I did was sign up for the Oksana Baiul board, then Adrian Chew's board. Then that was blown to smithereens and everybody I recall from that time period (the ones still around at least) went in different directions ~ some to SkateFans, some to FSU, some here, and others to little boards here & there. It's truly good to see you & others still around after all these years.

    Okay, back to the discussion at hand. Tesla, you have a good point! Yet I'm one that starts getting excited before the event, not during or after, lol, so here's hoping more & more people start posting!!!!!

    p.s. still wondering what happened to janetfan?

  9. #39
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Lol, Tonichelle, we must've posted at the same time last night, didn't see your post until now. I'm not sure I remember Skate Forum? But then again I didn't get back from Peace Corps until 1998, and that's when I caved in & went the way of the internet. Of course the first thing I did was sign up for the Oksana Baiul board, then Adrian Chew's board. Then that was blown to smithereens and everybody I recall from that time period (the ones still around at least) went in different directions ~ some to SkateFans, some to FSU, some here, and others to little boards here & there. It's truly good to see you & others still around after all these years.


    Skate Forum was part of Skating Inc (also now defunct) they had official websites for Alexei Yagudin, Maria Butyrskaya, Angela Nikodinov and others... as well as "skate radio" which played music that skaters skated to, and several other great programs... they tanked when they tried to bring out the Skating Inc. Magazine... they just got stretched too thin, I think.

  10. #40
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,640
    yeah ... where IS Janetfan?


    Anyway, I'd like to see Christina dramatically improve her spins and even her presentation before I start calling her the next Yuna-Kim. So far I see her as as being in a similar position as rest of the U.S. ladies. Good - but not really able to compete with the best of the best internationally. Not yet anyway. The only two U.S. skaters who I see as mayyyyyy-beeee being competitive at the very top are Alissa and Mirai but they have the problems that we all know about. Still, they are my two favorites and I honestly think they are the best so I can't help but hope they go to worlds this time.

    I think Armin could medal but I would definitely call him a long shot. He doesn't have a quad and Jeremy, Brandon and Ryan do. So think Armin - much I really loved his SA performance - would need those three and Adam to mess up. Which I know is totally possible. But still. That makes him a longshot.

  11. #41
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,253
    Unfortunately Adrian Chew's board took a nasty turn as Chew himself inexplicably turned on a skater he once liked and developed a pathological hatred for her.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Skate Forum was part of Skating Inc (also now defunct) they had official websites for Alexei Yagudin, Maria Butyrskaya, Angela Nikodinov and others... as well as "skate radio" which played music that skaters skated to, and several other great programs... they tanked when they tried to bring out the Skating Inc. Magazine... they just got stretched too thin, I think.

    OMG, I know what forum, et al, you are talking about now! *light bulb goes on*

    Yes, I recall Skate Forum, and especially "skate radio"!!!! I won several contests on Skate Radio, I love that station, as while as that forum. I was there too, Tonichelle.

    Lol, in fact right in front of me now I have the CD I won with Deanna Stellato, a favorite skater of mine at the time. I also won several Sonja Henie videos, et al. Thanks for bringing back good memories, Tonichelle.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    p.s. mathman, do you know what happened to him, Adrian Chew that is? I think I recall he got some big job offer with computers or some such thing. Also, didn't he sell his board? He was some sort of computer genius. All's I know is that I missed his board and I was only a handful of pathetic members that actually paid after he sold it, then that too went kaput! :(

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    yeah ... where IS Janetfan?


    Anyway, I'd like to see Christina dramatically improve her spins and even her presentation before I start calling her the next Yuna-Kim. So far I see her as as being in a similar position as rest of the U.S. ladies. Good - but not really able to compete with the best of the best internationally. Not yet anyway. The only two U.S. skaters who I see as mayyyyyy-beeee being competitive at the very top are Alissa and Mirai but they have the problems that we all know about. Still, they are my two favorites and I honestly think they are the best so I can't help but hope they go to worlds this time.

    I think Armin could medal but I would definitely call him a long shot. He doesn't have a quad and Jeremy, Brandon and Ryan do. So think Armin - much I really loved his SA performance - would need those three and Adam to mess up. Which I know is totally possible. But still. That makes him a longshot.
    Wasn't Armin planning on opening his FS with a 4t at skate america and just tripled it? I was pretty sure he had a quad...

  15. #45
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    55
    I believe he's working on a quad toe. I don't know what his success rate is, though. There was an interview on Universal Sports' website where he said he might do a quad at nationals.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •