Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gachinski aims to become Russia's next top skater

News Gachinski aims to become Russia's next top skater

In a dynasty, the monarch makes sure to educate and promote the heir to the throne. Something similar happened to Artur Gachinski. He was touted as the next Evgeni Plushenko when he was still a boy too young to compete at the Junior Grand Prix. He was featured prominently in a German documentary serial at the St. Petersburg Figure Skating school and was invited to international shows when he was just 12 years old.

More

Custom Title
    Though I wish him well, I just can't get into his style or choreography, et al, at this point. First, he needs a makeover, including washing his face, combing his hair, and presenting himself as a clean shaven, well kept up young man, not an angst ridden teenager. Jmho, of course.

His jumps though are gorgeous.

Custom Title
    I'm not impressed. Russia needs a better leading man.

Custom Title
    Great looking jumps, but otherwise I´m not that impressed. It seems to me that his programmes are from the 6.0 era, LOL. He needs to get a choreographer, who creates for him CoP programmes with transitions and also otherwise better choreography.

Custom Title
    This article is just a hopeless trial to create a fuss about him. The reality is more simple: there are not recent descensor of Plushenko in Russia...

Custom Title
    I find his hand movements at the beginning of his short program to be some of my favorite choreo of the whole season! LOL! Anyway his jumps are great and in the free skate I think some of his step sequence jumps are very unique and interesting. I think his costume change in the free program really improved the unity of it. His programs seem solid and I don't want him to be a COP zombie. If he can add spread eagles or split jumps or any of 4 or 5 transitions that transition facists demand I hope he does it in a way that is him. I would hate for him to become a COP zombie. Otherwise he could try to stop being so stone faced during his performances-have some facial expression to go along with the body expression!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I find his hand movements at the beginning of his short program to be some of my favorite choreo of the whole season! LOL! Anyway his jumps are great and in the free skate I think some of his step sequence jumps are very unique and interesting. I think his costume change in the free program really improved the unity of it. His programs seem solid and I don't want him to be a COP zombie. If he can add spread eagles or split jumps or any of 4 or 5 transitions that transition facists demand I hope he does it in a way that is him. I would hate for him to become a COP zombie. Otherwise he could try to stop being so stone faced during his performances-have some facial expression to go along with the body expression!
    I think that he is well aware of his own shorcomings as a skater. And to his credit he's been working on them. But I don't see him making any tremendous improvements, even though he's only 17.

I see him as being intimidated by others in the Warm Up phase of competitions which makes him nervous when starting his own program. A good sports psychologist could get him over that. There is talent there.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Great looking jumps, but otherwise I´m not that impressed. It seems to me that his programmes are from the 6.0 era, LOL. He needs to get a choreographer, who creates for him CoP programmes with transitions and also otherwise better choreography.
    it seems that unless the choreographer is Nichol or Wilson, the transtion nonsense never stops, it is not the alpha and omega of a program. The boy has a choreographer. I dont remember his long but his short is fine, he has as many transtions as almost all skaters, he doesnt have the transitions of CHan but who has anyway. I think the pink Floyd music is a great choice and so far his programs are not Carmen or Scheherazade and I m grateful for it.

I dont get Arthur´s style much but we should give him a break and a chance to mature, he has grown under the spotlight and has been hyped as the next big thing since this documentary in german tv when he was 10! It must have been hard. Mishin probably saw something in him and believed in him.Now he passed the growing part I hope he does well, besides at Junior Wolrds last year he was the little girls favorite

I dont find similarity with Plushenko´s style at all except for jump technique and besides every skater in Russia with a blond mullet is claimed to be the next Evgeni, in nationals wasnt Menshov and especially Bush compared to Plush also? The only one I find to have a striking resemblance in skating with evgeni is the little Tarasenko, it is like watching teenage plush videos.

I think it is better not to wait the heir to Plush but just to wait the next very good skater with his own style, he doesnt have to be the heir of anyone.

Thank you for the article, I havent seen many interviews of Arthur, it was great

Custom Title
    Gachinsky reminds me of Alexander Abt. Am I crazy?????

Custom Title
    I saw him at Skate Canada and he did not impress me one iota, in fact he struck me as just another teenager with bad skin, bad hair and a lot to learn. His skating was rather blah........just one of the pack. Granted he's very young, so with constant work and some decent choreo, he could one day be.........something..........but not Plushenko (and I am not a fan of Plushy). I guess we'll see in a few years what this kid is capable of.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    In what way? I don't see any resemblance at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ibauer View Post
    In what way? I don't see any resemblance at all.
    I can't quite put my finger on it, , maybe because he seems more of an introvert to me, just like Alexander, Artur definitely hasn´t Plushenko´s personality, when he finds his own style the resemblance will disappear.

Custom Title
    He needs some updating to the present (style, programs and skating).
    Last edited by lavender; 01-18-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Hmm.. Abt was surely more handsome, IMO.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast