Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yuka Sato: skater, commentator, choreographer, coach

Custom Title

Yuka Sato: skater, commentator, choreographer, coach

Yet another great interview from Absolute skating, this time with Yuka Sato:

http://absoluteskating.com/interviews/2011yukasato.html

Insights about her work with Taka Kozuka, Jeremy Abbott and Alissa Czisny and her opinion about the scoring system....

I hope she is right about Jeremy, plus I loved what she said about both Taka and Alissa.

Thanks for posting this!!

Custom Title
    Thank you so much, Herios! I would never have found this article on my own, and it's a delight. Even if Yuka were not one of my favorite skaters ever, I would have loved this article. It's a college class on skating, so clear and thorough and enlightening. I love Yuka's point about the simplicity of the smooth glide. Her comparison with ballet, where someone lifting his partner has to walk from one end of the performance space to the other, whereas in skating the partner can glide with one push, is exactly why I prefer skating to ballet: in skating you can portray motion and stillness at the same time, because you can hold a pose and yet keep moving.

And then add to this that Yuka is one of my favorite skaters ever. She was always so elegant and musical, with silent blades across the ice and such a gorgeous back. And that radiant smile. I'd be sorry that she doesn't skate so much nowadays, except that it's so thrilling that she's become a coach and will be contributing to skating in the years to come. I can't imagine anyone who would be more compatible with Alissa.

Custom Title
    This is one of the most interesting interview I've read in a while! I would love to have Yuka as a coach!

Fantastic article/interview! "my" Yuka!

Thanks. Great read.

Custom Title
    Curious about what she is like as a commentator. I heard that she favorably mentioned about her own choreo when Kozuka skated and released a short (disappointed) sigh when Jeremy fell at a competition.
    Could anyone post a link please? Any vid that she appeared as a commentator will be greatly appreciated.

Custom Title
    It would be interesting to hear her. (Hope someone can translate for us!)

One of the problems with the skating world is that it's so small, and some people wear so many hats that they end up having to commentate on their own students or on people for whom they choreographed. Sandra Bezic is a prime example. She has done a lot of commentating, and she has choreographed for some top contenders, including two OGM winners that I can think of, Lipinski and Yamaguchi. I don't know what the etiquette of such a situation is. Of course, commentators can also be partisan just on the strength of having someone from their country in the running. One need just think about the 2002 Olympics, with Sandra and Scotty's reaction at the pairs competition. These reactions are natural, and people aren't robots. It doesn't make any of the commentators bad people. I guess we as educated viewers just have to use our judgment and filter out certain reactions that we see from the broadcast booth.

Custom Title
    What an interesting and lovely woman. I really like this interview thanks for sharing.

I think Yuka has the assuring sensibility to bring out the artist in her skaters, she seems like such a grounded and decent person from the interview, someone you'd learn alot about life and enjoy hanging out more than just learning skating with.

I have always like Jeremy's style and really likes Alissa's program this year, elegant, mature and lady like - almost a breath of fresh air among the US ladies which seems slightly teen bopper (nothing wrong with that, but variety is the spice of life) and a bit unrefined. I like reading about how Alissa took back her own life with more responsibility, live on her own and how she is looking long term about shaping her career. I find it fascinating that many seem so have written her off on this board at the beginning of 2010 and then become fan again after her GPF. It takes character to come back like that and I really admire her for it.

I'd love Alissa to do well at Nationals (along with Mirai) - it is the artistry I enjoy the the most about skating, about maximising the potentials the slippery ice can provide heightened sense of artistic expressions, emotions, that take you to another world, another time, another presence that seems to defy gravity. Ballet and other form of dance are able to achieve this with limited success, but ultimately they tend to pull you back down to gravity, even with years of disciplined training (even decades) attempting to defy the human constricts.
    Last edited by os168; 01-17-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Yuka Sato is a gift to Figure Skating. The silent speed of lightning is her forte and no one else can show that.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Move over Queen YuNa....We now have Queen Yuka!

Thanks for sharing. Definitely a great read!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Move over Queen YuNa....We now have Queen Yuka!
    Yeah sure if you are still living in 1994 :P

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Yeah sure if you are still living in 1994 :P
    LOL Well I am pretty old!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Skating is like Narnia in the story: once a queen of skating, always a queen of skating. (This goes for kings, too.) Yuka doesn't get any less wonderful because other good skaters are competing now! Someone that far above the average will always be skating royalty. Her particular gifts—beautiful bladework, fast feet, flowing lines, musicality, strong technique—do not become any less beautiful when compared with the skaters of today. They're still pretty rare, after all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast