I hate the age FIVE... | Golden Skate

I hate the age FIVE...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My "neice" turns five in just three weeks (or less? her bday is Feb 4) and I am having a very hard time dealing with it. I've found all of the pics I took of her when she was a baby and I've cried it out, but it's still tough.

Why do they have to grow up?

oleada

Record Breaker
It's hard to see them grow up, but each age brings something new and wonderful and you are just amazed at the people they are becoming.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
They have to grow up so that they can grow old like the rest of us, Toni.

well I'd rather she NOT grow up/old. :laugh:

my mom said it's not so much that I don't like her growing up, I just have an issue with the age five. I apparently threw one major birthday tantrum when I turned five. I had my midlife crisis at a very early age :laugh:

ranjake

Final Flight
My "neice" turns five in just three weeks (or less? her bday is Feb 4) and I am having a very hard time dealing with it. I've found all of the pics I took of her when she was a baby and I've cried it out, but it's still tough.

Why do they have to grow up?

I'm with you- it's hard. And she's your niece, just wait until you're a Mom! (my kids are now 21 and 16- how did THAT happen?) It's actually bittersweet to me; I do miss my kids at all of those wonderful baby stages- but I actually loved the age of 5- it's magical. Don't worry, Toni- all of the stages (or most!) are amazing. 6 and 7 are especially fun, with 'magical thinking'. For me it's been a blend of being proud and loving the people they've been at each stage, but also being slightly nostalgic for the little ones they were. I have a niece, my God-daughter, who is like a daughter to me, so I can totally relate to your feelings for your niece. I think it's sweet, you must be a great Auntie.

heyang

Record Breaker
I had this 'crisis' last year when my nephew had his 10th!!! birthday LAST YEAR. Sigh - almost a teenager. He and his sister (2 yrs younger) are so looking forward to being teens. They'll be 11 & 9 and the youngest will be 4 within the next month.

When David was around 5 yrs old, I was thinking about buying a 2nd car. He asked me if I'd consider a Hummer. When I asked why, he said they are cool. I explained to him that Hummers need a lot of gas. If have to spend money on gas, then I won't have as much money to buy him things. After that discussion, he decided that I shouldn't get a Hummer.

This past October, my brother and I both bought new vehicles within a week of each other. At 1st, my nephew wasn't very interested in what my brother purchased until my bro mentioned that the 'new' car might end up being 'his 1st car' in a few years. My brother ended up with a Kia Soul, which is 'cool' because it has the party lights. I had to buy a car unexpectedly because someone totalled my convertible (which the kids loved riding in because it was 'cool'. Even wanted the top down when it was 40 outside , which is one of the times I refused their requests) So, when I drove up to their house in my new Nissan Rogue, nephew and niece ran up to the car to inspect it. My nephew declared 'Cool, it's got a moon roof, Fredi. That means we both get cool cars because Ai-gu's car has the moon roof and Dad's has the party lights'. Hmmm.....I didn't know that I was supposed to give them my car in 7-9 years.....

Anyway, they grow up fast. I'm not looking forward to when they aren't eager to spend time with me when they are teenagers.

Last edited: