Novice Events | Golden Skate

Novice Events

skatingfan04

Final Flight
The live stream for the novice events should be starting up shortly.:) Results should come up soon after that.

geoskate

On the Ice
I'm not sure where to put this comment, but the junior women are driving me crazy. I saw the last two flights of the novice women, who skated quite well overall. Many of the junior women are skating at a very similar level. That should not be the case.

It is bothersome that several of the skaters had a triple loop planned in the program, for example, and did a double instead. They're still well up in the standings. I wish the level of competition was such that downgrading their programs would mean a significant drop in the standings, but when everyone downgrades their programs from their originally planned difficulty that doesn't happen.

*rant over*

Congratulations to Alaine Chartrand, however, who actually went for all the technical difficulty that she had planned initially.

oleada

Record Breaker
Yeah, I've been watching.

The technical level in novice and junior ladies is really uinspiring. Which isn't to say I haven't enjoyed it, but I can't see a future Rochette or even Phaneuf from this group. If this is the future of Canadian ladies skating, I can't see them being major players internationally with the good Russian, US, Japanese skaters coming up as well as some Chinese and French girls with potential.

I thought a 12 year old from Novice, Gabriela something showed potential despite falling on her 2A. She had huge jumps, and since she is only 12, the triples can still come.

Last edited:

tripleaxle

Rinkside
I think Gabriela Daleman is 13, not 12. She made it to Nationals without even attempting a 2A. She only skated clean programs with 1A and other doubles. The 2A she did today was not totally clean from the angle I saw on Skatebuzz. So for her to get all triples consistent will take a long time providing her body will not change much through puberty. Even though she has nice height on her double jumps, her slow rotations in the air will not help learning triples. A few girls at novice and junior levels who have nice triples did not make it out because they did not skate clean at qualifying events. A Junior level girl from BC actually has triple lutz but did not make it to Nationals because of one bad skate. I think those girls have more potential in the long run at senior level since they already started doing the difficult triple jumps.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The same goes in the US at the Novice and Junior levels - some kids who have more potential were left home after our Sectional events because of one bad skate.

oleada

Record Breaker
Thanks for the background info on Daleman.

In any case, the field is pretty weak, and I wonder what SC can do to improve this. It's interesting how much weaker comparatively the women are compared to the men, pairs and dance.

nadster

Final Flight
What is funny is that this year on the JGP circuit, the ladies event was the only one where Skate Canada did not leave any spots blank. The ladies is where we have the most trouble but somehow more ladies met the standards than in the other disciplines.

This year on the JGP

1 mens spot was left blank ( when Davis did not meet standards after his first JGP no replacement was named) . We were guaranteed at least one spot in every JGP in mens. One event we got 2 spots because one of the other teams could not use their spots and Canada was 2nd in line for those spots ( with the USA being first ).

4 dance spots left blank - Skate Canada set score standards long before anyone has competed the short dance. The numbers that Skate Canada put were so unrealistic that even teams that made the JGPF would have trouble making the standard. As well we had legitimate JGP medal contenders stay at home all because of a stupid standard.

2 pairs spots were left blank

These blank spots deny skaters chances to build up their ISU ranking ( which is needed for senior GP slots later on ). It is even better to send a promising novice skater ( and our novice men are quite strong this year ) than to send nobody. Heck Dube/Tetrault competed on the JGP internationally while competing novice nationally and even made the JGPF that year.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Day two of nationals, and three novice events have already wrapped up! The complete results are posted on the SC website, but i'll post the podium finishers here:

Men:

1. Mitchell Gordon BC/YT
2. Mathieu Nepton QC
3. Christophe Belley QC

Pairs:

1. Shalena Rau / Phelan Simpson WO
2. Mary Orr / Anthony Furiano WO
3. Leah Hyslop / Bob Goodwin WO

Ice Dance:

1. Madeline Edwards / Zhao Kai Pang BC/YT
2. Noa Bruser / Timothy Lum BC/YT
3. Mackenzie Bent / Garrett MacKeen EO

tripleaxle

Rinkside
What is the standard to send skaters to Junior Grand Prix? So if no skaters meet the standard, the spot is left open?

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Novice Ladies' results are up as well:

1. Marie-Gabrielle Hémond QC
2. Ann-Sophie Gagnon QC
3. Veronik Mallet QC

Just as a sidenote, the bronze medallist Veronik Mallet finished dead last in the short program, but had the best free skate of the night by about 5 points to move into third overall. That's amazing! :eek:.

sk8hrd

Rinkside
I think Gabriela Daleman is 13, not 12. She made it to Nationals without even attempting a 2A. She only skated clean programs with 1A and other doubles. The 2A she did today was not totally clean from the angle I saw on Skatebuzz. So for her to get all triples consistent will take a long time providing her body will not change much through puberty. Even though she has nice height on her double jumps, her slow rotations in the air will not help learning triples.

I think Gabrielle just turned 13 last week. I heard that the reason she didn't attempt a 2A or 3S at the challenge was that she hurt her knee doing pairs. She did get credit for the 2A in her short with the deduction. In the long she did another 2A which she got full credit for and she did a 3S as well. I think the reason she looks like she has a slow rotation while doing the doubles is that she is so high in the air on her jumps that she has to rotate slow. To me it looked as though the doubles are easy for her. I emailed a friend of mine who trains near where she does and she said that Gabrielle has already been doing 3S, 3T and 3F clean in practice (about 50% of the time) and 3Lz 1/4 turn cheat.

I think she was smart for putting not attempting the jumps at the challenge. We’ve been defending our Senior Men for years for not putting Quads into their programs. Obviously she has amazing skating skills to come 5th at the challenge with only a 1A. From what I saw on skatebuzz she is an amazing spinner with terrific skills. The commentators really loved her as well. Too bad the Technical caller gave her a 0 on her spiral which kept her from podium.