Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ice dancers Virtue and Moir to skip national championships

Custom Title

Ice dancers Virtue and Moir to skip national championships

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Thank you SkateFiguring. I was expecting this. There is no need to stretch anything at the moment. In four more weeks hopefully they will be better trained and able to compete at a higher level.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    It's unfortunate that they won't be competiting at Canadians, but the news is not surprising.

Custom Title
    I'm sure Skate Canada has been aware of this for a while, thus the effort to generate buzz with Chan's two LP quads and the spin on Chan/Reynolds rivalry for the Mens gold. Chan didn't have make the announcement but being the sole headliner carries responsibilities and additional pressure, unwelcome but unaviodable.

I guess Tessa and Scott will probably not compete at all this season.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Tessa and Scott said that they expect to be at both 4CC's and Worlds, in an interview that's up on IN now.

Custom Title
    It's a little hard to think they can expect to do well in major competitions a month from now when they can't compete in the Nationals this week.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Tessa and Scott said that they expect to be at both 4CC's and Worlds, in an interview that's up on IN now.
    A few weeks ago, actually two, Tracy Wilson said that Tessa and Scot will probably be back in competition at 4CC, that is why I was not expecting them back this week either, but I am happy they say she is well.
    Now, how they will do, that is anybody`s guess. I think they wil be fine. If they will not win, I think they will not make a big case out of it.

Custom Title
    It's a little hard to think they can expect to do well in major competitions a month from now when they can't compete in the Nationals this week.
    I am more optimistic than you are. I trust them when they come back they will do well.

Custom Title
    I'm glad that they're deciding to act in Tessa's best interest. Nationals wont be the same without them, but there's no need for them to come back to soon and risk doing permanent damage. I can't wait to see their programs at 4CC!!

Custom Title
    I am more optimistic than you are. I trust them when they come back they will do well.
    How well is well enough for them? I believe they have a minimun standard higher than most. It's the basis of their decision that's a little confusing to me. Evidently Tessa is healthy and they have been training but they are not going to compete at the Nationals because they feel they're not up to a certain satisfactory standard. So what's important - to get some competitive experience in a relatively easy field before the big competitions, or to not look bad at the current level? Without the experience will they look that much better in a month or compete reasonably well against the best in the world?

How bad can their subpar performance be that they wouldn't put it out? Yet they are that confident of the improvement in the next few weeks to make it world class top level.

Custom Title
    How well is well enough for them? I believe they have a minimun standard higher than most. It's the basis of their decision that's a little confusing to me. Evidently Tessa is healthy and they have been training but they are not going to compete at the Nationals because they feel they're not up to a certain satisfactory standard. So what's important - to get some competitive experience in a relatively easy field before the big competitions, or to not look bad at the current level? Without the experience will they look that much better in a month or compete reasonably well against the best in the world?

How bad can their subpar performance be that they wouldn't put it out? Yet they are that confident of the improvement in the next few weeks to make it world class top level.
    Skatefiguring
    I strongly recommend you to read the various articles (not Globe & Mail which said almost nothing expect their decision). The IN article as well as the news posted on Yahoo, sound quite upbeat:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...moir-canadians

From yahoo:

``“I’m able to train at 100 percent, which is something I haven’t been able to say in years, so we’re thrilled with that,” Virtue said. “I feel like an athlete again.”

From IN:

"The plan is to be Four Continents champions and world champions," Moir, 23, said. "We need a couple of weeks of training to be ready to hopefully conquer the world [of ice dance] again."`

So forget about my statement two messages ago, if they are upbeat, so am I

Custom Title
    I know they are good and if they think they're good, they must be good. Just wondering if they are confident of conquering the world in a couple of weeks, why not conquer Canada now?

Custom Title
    Because Scott, as much as I love him, is a teensy-bit of a braggart. He was the same before Worlds 2009 as well. Granted, he said the same before the Olympics. They're good, but I do think they're underestimating the competition a little bit (beyond D/W, of course). If, in the end, they're good enough to win Worlds, it'll be a remarkable feat and they'll be remembered as all-time greats.

That stated, SkateFiguring, I understand your logic and concern. Frankly, if this was anyone else (see DelShoes last season), I'd be scoffing. But all I can do is hope. And even if we don't see them this season (which is what I initially thought even with reports to the contrary).... I'll have seen them skate more times than any other team anyway, thanks to youtube.

Custom Title
    ^
    Scott always speaks of his competitors with respect. I don't see anything wrong with his comments.

He didn't say that he was confident of conquering the world....he was quoted as saying "hopefully conquer the world". So often in Canada we hear our athletes say "we just want to do our best". Scott dares to say that he wants to win, and I'm glad of it. No one wins without believing in themselves.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Because Scott, as much as I love him, is a teensy-bit of a braggart. He was the same before Worlds 2009 as well. Granted, he said the same before the Olympics.
    If he can back up what he says, he is not bragging, just truthful. Realistic confidence is more of a champion's trait than false modesty, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast