Adrian Schultheiss is uncertain about his future in figure skating | Golden Skate

Adrian Schultheiss is uncertain about his future in figure skating

lavender

Record Breaker
I didn't listen (I'm at work) but is this before Adrian's 'dare to dream' article or after?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can only go by publication dates. The radio interview(s) was posted earlier today. The AbsoluteSkating.com article was published several days ago, but perhaps their actual interview with Adrian took place earlier.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well since I don't speak Swedish either, I'm unable to listen to the radio broadcasts, but I hope this was an old interview because his latest article about "daring to dream" would then be at odds with what he has stated recently? :confused:

lavender

Record Breaker
I hope it was before the new article. I've come to have a little soft spot for him and I hope that he sticks around at least for a few more years.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
By carefully listening to the sequence of syllables, I've managed to determine that the first link I shared contains a 1-minute section of the full radio interview (which can be found in the 2nd URL). I sincerely hope a Swedish speaker will translate the latter for us.

I put both pages through Google Translate to get a rough English translation of the text which accompanies both audio clips:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsverigesradio.se%2Fsida%2Fartikel.aspx%3Fprogramid%3D104%26artikel%3D4301199

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsverigesradio.se%2Fsida%2Fartikel.aspx%3Fprogramid%3D179%26artikel%3D4301415

Nadine

Record Breaker
I agree, lavender. :)

I've had a soft spot for him since last season when I saw his "Insane in the Brain" routine for the first time ~ LOOOOOOOOOOVED it! :party:

And then I had the pleasure of seeing him skate in person at the Olympics, which was a real treat, his quad was gorgeous, as was his avant garde routine! Lastly, I saw him skate again in person at Skate America, but this time even closer because I was sitting in the VIP section (1st row), whereas at the Olympics I was sitting in the Gold Section (a couple of rows up from the ice). And those few rows made all the difference in the world ~ his eyes are startingly piercing blue like a twinkling lake during summer when the sun shines on it just so, which was further enhanced with the lovely blue quilted vest he was wearing for his R&J program. He was like a ghost passing through a lake, his long legs elongated even moreso by the black pants he wore, and his skating was divine, so of course I had to throw him a gift. :)

"DON'T GIVE UP, ADRIAN, BRING IT ON AT EUROPEANS!!!!!!!!!!!"

sillylionlove

Medalist
Nadine;541635 I've had a soft spot for him since last season when I saw his "Insane in the Brain" routine for the first time ~ LOOOOOOOOOOVED it! :party: [B said:
"DON'T GIVE UP, ADRIAN, BRING IT ON AT EUROPEANS!!!!!!!!!!!"[/B]

What I like about Adrian is that he uses different music and not the same boring crap that everyone else uses. I saw the insane in the brain program at Skate America in 2009 at Lake Placid. I loved it! Plus anyone that skates to cypress hill and prodigy is pretty cool in my book!!! He is a nice person to boot.

According to the link that was posted in an earlier post...it was published on January 19, 2011.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Thank you for the heads-up on this, siberia82. I am one of those who looks forward to seeing Adrian on the ice; he is like no other. He is an original, full of surprises and skill. In the dreary repetitiveness of much of what CoP has brought us, he is a breath of fresh air. Injuries can get anybody down. He probably should have given his body a good rest when it was needed. I noticed over the years that two U.S. skaters who took 3 months off each for their respective injuries, came back like new, while skaters who pushed their injured bodies to finish a season, did not fare as well in the long run. I hope that Adrian lets himself get solidly, fully healed and then tries skating again; I think he may find that he will once again enjoy it. Whatever he decides, I wish him the very best.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hmmm, it couldn't have helped his psyche with all the bad press by that one skater whom complained about not winning or some such thing, therefore being a sensitive soul I can see how this might've played on Adrian's subconscious...

And I agree with Dodhiyel, Adrian should take some much needed time off to get his mojo & joy back, but most especially to heal his injuries. Evgeni is lucky in this way, he has the money, opportunity, and the wherewithal to do so, and still come back 3 yrs. later to win the Olympic Silver Medal! :cool:

It's obvious Adrian needs the money, but I'm wondering is there's anyway he can take a pay cut to get some much needed time off the ice? :confused:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO ADRIAN!!!!!

Orion

Rinkside
This is what Adrian said!

Hi, I'm a Swede so naturally this sounded alarming! I hurried to check out the interview and alas, it really DOES sound like he's thinking of packing it in altogether! Here is the gist of what he said:

He feels his future in figureskating is up in the air at this point even though he had originally planned to continue competing until the next Olympics.

"Figureskating just hasn't been much fun lately. I've been having a down period. There are many reasons: my change of coach (it was no longer working between us), injuries, overstraining my legs so I had to quit training for awhile."

"This was the year I was really going to go for it, to take that final step, but now it's far from certain that there will even be a season 2011/2012 for me and, considering the kind of season I've had so far, my initial aspiration for a top-five placement at Euros have been changed to a more realistic top-ten. I am hoping to find the joy in skating again!"

This is definitely not good news! Just when things were looking so promising.....Isn't it amazing how quickly things can change?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation, Orion, much appreciated. :)

Yep, it looks like Dodhiyel was right, he needs some much deserved time off the ice. Too much has happened, and he hasn't had the chance to breathe.

I'm crossing my fingers he does well at Euros, which would set him up nicely for Worlds. Then after that I hope he can take at least the summer off, if not the year, and come back with a renewed joy for what he loves to do ~ skate! :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My impression from these interviews is that Adrian is a talent that doesn't get supported enough. It's like he has to struggle through all his problems on his own. His circumstances are not easy, for a young person and for a skater chasing a big dream. He has no real team, no nurture and no support. He sounded mentally strong in the print interview and downcast in the radio one. The sequence is of major importance here.

Where are his family, technical team, and national federation? What have them done for him and what are they doing for him?

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yay, I found someone who was willing to do a more thorough translation! :biggrin:

Adrian Schultheiss made his big international breakthrough at last year’s Olympics: he was the first Swede to land a quadruple jump and his long program was brilliant. At the world championships a little later he made his personal best score and came in ninth place. He took his last step to the world’s elite last year.

But it seems not to be that easy. “I’ve had a little slump this year. There has been too much figure skating, I could not take it. Last summer my legs were overstrained and I was not able to train properly. Also the situation with my coach was difficult. Now I have changed coaches and I hope to climb up the rankings again.”

Schultheiss has even thought about quitting the sport altogether and finding something else for the future. He is not even sure if there will be a season 2011-2012 for him.

“I’ve wanted to go on until the next Olympics but we’ll see what happens next year. It is sometimes a little hard. But I hope for the best.”

So you are not totally convinced to continue, there is a little doubt?

“It is a little uncertain. It has not been so fun lately. But I hope the coaching change will help to sort things out.”

Three weeks before the Swedish nationals Adrian Schultheiss broke up with his coach of many years, Evgeni Lutkov. Now he has two coaches, Maria Bergqvist and Johanna Dahlstrand.

“This was needed to be able to loosen things up a little. Now I have a say in my own training. Things were not working out with my old coach any more.”

Do you feel there is now room for development? Are you going to raise the bar a little now?

“I hope so. But now I’ve chosen a coach who is in the first hand supportive and is there for me. The practices have become more fun.”

Next week it is time to leave all ponderings aside and put all efforts on the European Championships in Bern.

“I hope for a good placement. Actually I would like to be in the top five. Anyway, the season has not been that great so far. But top ten at least.”

Adrian Schultheiss has all the technical elements in his skating that are needed to place well in the competition. Now it is time to improve his presentation. The presentation score is almost as important as the technical aspect when it comes to points. But it is much more difficult.

“You have to have a story in the program, not just to skate around like a dead swan but to be alive and tell something.”

How do you see your own presentation?

“Last year I think it was good but this year the judges have not understood me yet.”

Are you difficult to understand?

“A little.” (laughs)

What do you think is the reason?

“I think my long program last year was really good but I did not get the scores I wanted until the world championships. It took some time for them to get the program.”

Last year Adrian Schultheiss used for the first time classical music, in his short program. He has been known of choosing very modern songs for his skating in the past. But he has not taken the step into the classical world in order to please the conservative judges.

“I don’t think the music determines the score the skater is going to get from his programs.”

Has your former music shocked the judges?

“Well, no, but maybe they don’t like it. Those who sit at the judging panel are often older people and not necessarily listen to the contemporary music that I do.”

Do you think it is good now that you combine classical and modern music?

“I never choose music that I don’t like. I don’t do anything for the judges or anyone but I do everything for my own sake.”

Do you have some spectacular moment in your new programs like the move we remember when you bend backwards and make a shooting move in front of the judges, something that sticks out?

“Not anything that much now, that was the real highlight (laughs). But in my long program I’m drying up blood from my arm, my friend died in a fight at the beginning of the program and my sleeve got stained by his blood. And in the short program there are some snake moves. But nothing like shooting the judges.”

So you have already made your best move. (laughing) When you make up a new program, how much do you think about the storytelling?

“I want the program to have a story, that I can make something up myself, so that it feels plausible and real when I’m skating. I want to know why there is a hand move or a facial expression in a certain moment, what should I feel when skating to it and so on. It feels better to skate to a story than to skate around to some music and choreography with no idea behind.”

Is it more important to you to understand it yourself than to make it visible for someone who’s watching?

“It’s the most important for myself because many people don't understand when I’m for example drying the blood from my sleeve, they think I’m washing something or scratching something itchy (laughing). But for me it is important that there is something behind everything I do.”

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thank you, Siberia82, finally a happy positive note! :)

This long translation put a smile on my face & a laugh in my heart. Adrian has such a way with words (love the tidbit about shooting & the judges). :laugh:

Definitely a thinker, cerebral & sensitive, great combination. I look forward to more masterpieces like "Insane in the Brain"! :cool:

:party: GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ADRIAN!!!!!!! :party2:

pebbles

Spectator
I listened to the radio report, and I understand Swedish. Yes, he is uncertain about his skating career. He has over stretched his legs, and been in a slump. Skating hasnt been fun for him, by the sounds of things. He has 2 new trainers which he hopes will help.
In a nutshell he hopes things will improve somewhat, and will definitely continue for season 2011-2012. After that, he is unsure.

lavender

Record Breaker
Aw...I wanted to tell him that he's an awesome unique talent when he was in the kiss and cry alone. He needs support and it was sad seeing the sadness on his face when feeling alone.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I hope the federation and/or someone else helps him through. Except from the federation, he has financial support from the Swedish Olympic Committee. To find a sponsor should be hard. What strikes me is that he sounds so sad and a bit lost. He needs lots of support and attention. Figure skaters are so forgotten in Swedish media between the big events. No reports on how they practice, or about their thoughts and lives. (such as of male hockey and football players almost every day in the sports news) Anyway, kudos to Swedish radio who did this long interview with Adrian.

Go Adrian! Remember your dream ...