Why don't these jumps matter? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Why don't these jumps matter?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well, yeah, but what about when they are in the middle of a footwork sequence or a spin or a spiral. Clearly they are plenty concerned then with their arms and everything else especially if they ARE dancing to a flamenco or a ballet. Who is arguing that a man should have so-called "ballet arms" when they're doing a quad? But who can argue that figure skating is supposed to be a blend of artistry and atheletisim? I don't get it

I guess that is true, however, I was questioning why a skater (or more likely) a choreographer working out a skating routine would ask themselves "what would a ballerina do" rather than asking themselves "what would [Brian Boitano :laugh:] a skater do". When i see imitations of ballerinas with skater on their toe picks I want to scream! Unlike ballet you are on blades and ice, use your creativity to do something with this nearly frictionless surface, why are you trying to copy something that is done on a completely difference surface? Ice is unique, it allows you to interpret not just dance, but all sorts of movements in a truly unique way.

Ant

Layfan

Record Breaker
I guess that is true, however, I was questioning why a skater (or more likely) a choreographer working out a skating routine would ask themselves "what would a ballerina do" rather than asking themselves "what would [Brian Boitano :laugh:] a skater do". When i see imitations of ballerinas with skater on their toe picks I want to scream! Unlike ballet you are on blades and ice, use your creativity to do something with this nearly frictionless surface, why are you trying to copy something that is done on a completely difference surface? Ice is unique, it allows you to interpret not just dance, but all sorts of movements in a truly unique way.

Ant

huh. I always kinda love when they do that toe pick thing. I mean - I see what you mean and incredible edge work is far more impressive and interesting. But I like that toe pick thing when it just a brief moment in the program. I think Mirai does it in her LP this year.

I've always loved Oksana's Swan program but now I kind of see what you are saying about some of her moves and why people would think "that's not skating."

antmanb

Record Breaker
huh. I always kinda love when they do that toe pick thing. I mean - I see what you mean and incredible edge work is far more impressive and interesting. But I like that toe pick thing when it just a brief moment in the program. I think Mirai does it in her LP this year.

I've always loved Oksana's Swan program but now I kind of see what you are saying about some of her moves and why people would think "that's not skating."

To be fair Oksana does have beautiful arms and uses them well in her skating generally. Pretend ballerinas are just a pet peeve of mine :laugh: I also struggle when people praise skaters for being "balletic" above all else. Other styles of dance do not get the same response - jazz pieces, middle eastern dance, flamenco, tango....a large number of people roll their eyes when those things happen and comment how "by numbers" skaters can be, but a dress a little girl up as a ballerina and everyone fawns over it. People comment on the unoriginal choreography in jazz, spanish, middle eastern programmes, but the same rehashed ballet music is used and it doesn't come under the same criticism.

Anyway i realise it is a personl gripe! ;)

Ant