Ice Wars Opinions | Golden Skate

Ice Wars Opinions

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Pairs technical programs: While I enjoyed their style, and the technique, I didn't see much growth from both teams from Salt Lake. The Meadowlands program that B/S skated reminded me of Dark Eyes '98. The Crying program that S/P skated reminded me of Love Story, but rather than Jamie dying, they're broken up. However, I liked their transitions better than B/S's, probably because of their transitions in and out of lifts. B/S had more speed, but S/P had more speed in the lifts. Judges gave B/S higher marks.

Viktor Petrenko's artistic program (Flight) is beautiful, he is a wonderful jumper, but his arms remind me of Irina Slutskaya- all over the place. His program is vintage Viktor, however- very dramatic.

Kurt's tap program (Ding Dong Daddy) has some footwork that will make Morozov drool. And wow! Kurt looks so fit! But when he's not doing footwork, he seems to be doing a lot of two-foot skating...

Browning beat Petrenko- 99.8/97.6

Nicole Bobek (Dust in the wind) beautiful dress. Balletic arm movements...reminds me of Rosalynn Sumners in her heyday. Double flip- landed. lots of moves in the fields, spinning on the toe pick. nice high double axel...travelled a bit in her combination spin. good speed. good flying inside edge camel a-la Sarah. Finishing with her trademark spiral sequence. ending position. split on the ice. She started crying at the end of routine. Beautiful. Wow. A tad slow, though.

Oksana Baiul (Swan Lake- Tchaikovsky- Lillehammer!) Boureeing on toes. Flapping on the ice. White outfit this time. Triple salchow- landed, with speed! Catchfoot spiral, good edge. Good camel spin, no travelling. More bourees and arm flapping through footwork. Good speed in this program. Landing triple toe loop; two- footing double axel. She has this real fight in her jumps. Catchfoot camel to end routine.OMG I AM SEEING OKSANA OF 1993!!! She had so much speed!

Oksana beat Nicole- 98.8/97.4. (Oksana was dumping stuffed animals onto Nicole's lap)

Ilia Kulik (A House Is Not A Home) Petrenkoish arm movements, but more speed, and he's much more pleasing to watch. His backoutside edge spiral is beautiful. Something many of today's men can learn from. good spring on triple flip. Flying camel, again, something most of the men can learn from. Triple lutz landing had a smooth edge, but he can stretch his free leg more. straightline footwork very ilia- tons of waltz/mazurka jumps. double axel, smooth, and the split slide on the ice...OUCH...i don't think it fit the program. he bends his knee in the spiral, and only one spin...

Brian Boitano (Persistence of Time) Creative murder mystery theme. Beautiful spread eagle into tano triple lutz. He sits on a chair- I hate it when skaters sit down for longer than five seconds! Not too many arm movements, like Kulik and Petrenko. Telegraphed triple toe/double toe/double loop. Very quick head movements. Fast footwork, not as fast as kurt. Beautiful triple salchow! Fastest spinner, IMHO in the men's competition. Great spread eagle into (i missed the entrance of the jump) a triple of some sort. the jump was beautiful. landed well, great rotation. i just missed the entrance.

Kulik beat Boitano- 98.8/98.2 (Closest one...Brian is 20 years older than Ilia!)

Sale/Pelletier (Who Wants To Live Forever a-la Woetzel/Steuer) Not like the traditional programs (lovey dovey) that we see from most pairs. Their interpretation is better than W/S. David has a great spread eagle! Good speed into and out of throw triple salchow. They actually try spins they didn't try in their eligible days. Adagio lift was beautiful, and the drop dismount fit the music. They did, however, do too much posing in the middle. I think the drum beats could have been better used for footwork. Nice triple twist lift. (ooh! the wind lifted dave's shirt...nice six pack), another good lift, with great dismount (rotational dismount). Not too many arm movements. Her spiral reminds me of Josee Chouinard. Strange...I didn't see a death spiral...

Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze (Let Me Fall) Yelena, get rid of the pink outfit. She has great turnout in spread eagle. I like the leap of faith. Good transition from leap of faith to a move in the field (he's in a spread eagle while she maintains the dive position). High split double twist. She fell (like the song asks) on the throw triple loop, which I think interrupted the following carry lift. Scary fall; her foot didn't stay on the ice! I like their death spiral positions and how many turns they do, but I don't like how she sticks up her butt before entering the death spiral. The split carry lift is very elementary, IMHO. They didn't have as much speed here as they did in the technical program, and the moves looked the same, set to different music. I liked their rotational star lift. It kinda got cold. No more mistakes after the throw, but there was no more passion.

S/P beat B/S- 98.8/97.6.

Overall- World team defeats North America- 588.9/588.6

Am I the only one who thinks that Yelena Berezhnaya looks like Reese Witherspoon?

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thank you for this thread thisthingcalledlove, :)

I simply cannot go to bed until I express my joy of tonight's Ice Wars.........especially of one of my all-time favorite skater's performance ~ Oksana Baiul..........literally wept with joy not only b/c of this exceptional performance but also b/c it coincided with the birth of my baby nephew, Samuel, today (no lie). :love:

Okay, the following are the emotions I felt while watching (w/my baby niece, Selena, btw) these particular performances (btw only included the ones that I greatly enjoyed; though ALL the skaters' deserve a round of applause):

SP's

Kurt Browning (Moon Dance) - enjoyable & light-hearted......nice......as always. :)^)

Viktor Petrenko (Hotel California) - lovely.....took me back to the days of the 1970's when I was a child.....absolutely love that music. And Viktor's interpretation of this classic did it justice. :)^)

Ilia Kulik (Nutcracker) - mood was set right from the beginning........soft, classical, lovely.......what a pleasure to watch. :)^)

Oksana Baiul (Russian Dance) - aaaah, the dress was simply devine........and so was Oksana........as always. :)^)

S&P (Crying) - love the music........really set the mood.........K.D. Lang sure can sing. And S&P's interpretation of this classic song was pretty darn good. :)^)

***Note: really upset that Nicole Bobek's program wasn't shown ~ she has always been a favorite of mine (no lie).***

LP's

Kurt Browning (Ding Dong Daddy) - aaah, he truly is the master when it comes to footwork........now this is the way it should be done.......superb! :)^)

Nicole Bobek (Dust in the Wind) - wow, what to say......simply a joy to watch.......as always. Another memorable performance from someone that has always had it all (aka natural with an added dash of personality)! :)^D

Oksana Baiul (Swan Lake) - OMG, OMG, OMG (no lie)........truly cannot put into words how this program made me feel, coupled with the emotion of welcoming my first baby nephew into the world today........just simply unbelievable (btw I literally cried all the way through it; tears of joy btw). Oksana has truly outdone herself with this piece..........didn't think the day would come where I would ever enjoy a program more than I do The Swan........but, alas, that day has come. Everything was perfect ~ from the tips of her languid fingers ~ down to the elegant silvery white decoration on the right side of her classic chignon. BRAVO, MOULYA, BRAVO!!!! :)^D What a joy to see you so happy, healthy, and in love ~ things I have always wished for you ~ YES! :love:

***Note: btw tonight Oksana reminded me of the equivalent of Adam Cooper ~ superb!***

Peace & Love & Goodnight To All, Nadine

"Helen Keller once said that the best & most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, they must be felt with the heart. I think this is what she meant." - Sarah Hughes

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
If you taped Ice Wars, then go back and look at Ilia Kulic's Lutz. Like Julia Sebastian's Lutz, it is as close to a perfect take off as you can get. I love how the Russian skater's were not afraid to use classical pieces of music. I know that Oxsana two footed the landings on most of her triples but she did not chicken out. I was very impressed with the speed she had going into her jumps. Although the double axel is not Oxsana's best jump, she did two of them. It's good to she here making a come back. As for as Nicole Bobec, her boobs really are bigger. Although, B&S were off on their second program, the artistic program, I think they are better over all. I would be fine just watching their stroking. Brian Botano's program was just plain stupid.
Daniel and Little Lulu

Jhar55

Medalist
Overall loved the skating, didn't care who won.
Refreshing to see S&P skate to something else than Love Story. And B&S skate to something other than Chaplin, they have oeve used both of those program IMP.
Didn't like Victors music he used in the LP part.
Someone said Nicoles boobs were big and in the way, looks like she put some of her earning from COI to some use :eek: I notices that last spring during COI show I was at :D

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mr. RG and I absolutely loved this show! Even this morning, we were still talking about how wonderful it was. An absolute delight!

Oksana was amazing--what speed! What elegance! What talent! She looked gorgeous.

Kurt is the true master of footwork. His programs were fabulous, esp. the LP.

I have never been a great fan of Ilia's, but he was absolutely terrific. BTW, Susie's comment about some of his movements not being refined ranks up there with the most stupid comments of all time!

Daniel, I've got to agree about Boitano's programs. Yawn! A few years ago, he did a program with a chair placed on the ice. Mr. RG & I laughed ourselves silly over that chair and still giggle over it occasionally when reminiscing about old programs. Well, as you can imagine, we could barely contain ourselves when we saw not only the chair, but the DESK as well--plus the typewriter & briefcase! Mr. RG said, "What's next? An office building?"

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I taped Ice Wars last night and just finished watching it......loved it, loved it...........now I have one question about Ilia......why isn't this man still in competition.......he is amazing and I was spell-bound as I watched him skate to "Nutcracker".....42

eliza88

On the Ice
I too just loved Ice Wars! In fact I just got off the phone with my mother-in-law--we were discussing all the fab programs! So good to see Oksana back and skating well! Nicole was breathtaking (grrr for not showing her SP!). I have already rewatched Kurt's atristic program 3 times--oh the footwork! Ilia was awesome, the pairs were lovely, and I really liked Viktor's programs (nice to see him skate more and gyrate less!). Boitano's programs were OK--too much sitting and pretending to write.

eliza88

Watching Kurt, for me, was like watching the best in figure skating. He had two 10 second moments of crossovers; the rest was pure intricate musical skating together with great jumps and spins. Nobody does it better!!:) All those 10s he received were well deserved.

I also liked Ilia especially the height in his jumps; Oksana for some skating moments that are hers alone. Both Pairs were wonderful. To be honest the reamining skaters didn't do it for me.

The competition seems to me to be so close to being a Show Spectacular, that I find myself not rooting for anyone (including Kurt). For me, it just seems to lack that hot 'tug-o-war' one finds in a serious competition. And of course, the teams will be entirely different next year so it is difficuilt to root for a team as well.

Maybe a huge challenge trophy for the winning team might help.

Joe

"I have never been a great fan of Ilia's, but he was absolutely terrific. BTW, Susie's comment about some of his movements not being refined ranks up there with the most stupid comments of all time! -- RealtorGal"
I agree Kulik was terrific. But I think I know what Susie Wynne meant. There is still something boyish about him, to me. He has a youthful face and a slim body, and a lot of his moves still have a boyish exuberance to them, rather than refined elegance. Just great.

As for Brian's "Tribute to 1940's Film Noir," well, at least when he came on to do the Long Program I understood why the Short Program stopped in the middle like that. I know that Brian is trying to push the artistic envelope, but I wish he would just skate.

I loved the pairs competition. I thought it was indeed a replay of Salt Lake City. Sale and Pelletier skated a flawless "love story," while Bereshnaya and Sikharudlidze had more incricate, almost Baroque, choreography, but with one mistake. The judges were properly divided, too, with some favoring one and some the other.

Actually, I think that they did Nicole a favor by not showing her short program. With a total of 47.2 (I think it was) she must have gotten 9.4s and 9.5s.

Mathman

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I give Ice Wars two thumbs up!

Kurt has the best skating feet. Did he dye his hair (what's left of it) blonde?.

It's good to see the old guys, Victor and Brian, still able to skate and do those triples. I also thought Brian's numbers were rather dumb, but you have to admire his skating at age 40!! Makes it all seem possible for us old folk.

Show- I agree with you about Ilia. He could still be a contender with todays top skaters.

I loved both pairs. I especially loved S & P's second number.

Oksana was just great. It is good to see her on the ice and happy.

The only bad thing about the program was I didn't record it. All Well:(

Blade1

On the Ice
I enjoyed Ice Wars, and like someone said, I didn't really care who won. It was really refreshing to see some skating this weekend.

First of all I was so impressed with Oksana. I mean it is so great to see her smiling again on the ice, giving two stunning performances. Especially her "Swan Lake" performance. It just gave me a flash back from years ago when she performed it while still in her amature career.

Someone said that Boitano was a bore, and I have to agree with you. Sure he wanted to try something different, and he definitly did that. I guess just having his artistic number continue from his first number, just didn't do it for me. Its too bad he didn't performe his numbers we saw at Gotta Skate. But that's just my opinion, Boitano was a bore for me.

Kurt, well I've got to say that his Ding Dong Daddy was definitly different at Ice Wars than when I saw it at Gotta Skate, and I honestly don't know why, perhaps he was just adding all the technical elements he needed. Of course I still loved the program, especially that footwork. Just fantastic.

It was great to see S&P again and glad to see the David is back skating again. Refreshing to see two new programs as well. LOVED the Queen number, heard so much about that program.

B&S were great as well, and I absolutly LOVED their program skated to Josh Groban. Just beautiful and I can't wait to see this during SOI this year.

Victor Petrenko skated as I expected.

Overall is was a great show.

rain

Record Breaker
This competition was a joy to watch (I always kind of ignore the scores as they inevitably make me annoyed). I'll just tell you my impressions....

Loved seeing Oksana Bauil back. She looked in better shape than she has since Olympics. Her speed over the ice was second to none and I think with a little more practice on the jumps she could challenge anyone in the amateur world again - her jumps are so high and so fast.

Liked both S/P and B/S in the short programs - I would have thought the scores would have been closer..... B/S did side by side jumps, but not entirely clean, while S/P did two throws and a triple twist....oh, well, I'm far from being outraged.

Kulik could seriously go back to amateur skating and win the world championship. The guy is amazing. I appreciate his skating now far more than I did when he was an amateur. His speed is spectacular and his jumps are so high. He also has a smoothness over the ice that is beautiful to watch. His second number did nothing for me, but I think for me it's more a question of the fact that I hated his music (I loathe those oh-so-earnest selections).

Kurt Browning was one of the highlights of the night for me. In his second skate, that is. Appropriately he got the highest scores of the competition. Ding dong Daddy is a clever and wonderful program. Nobody does footwork like Kurt (the amateur guys should watch and take notes) and the jumps popped up out of nowhere. He looked like he was having a blast and conveyed the impression of boundless energy.

Loved S/P's second number. A departure for them, with some great new moves. B/S were clearly second in this one, what with the fall and the subsequent sucking of all the soul out of their performance from then on. I also had the same quibble over the earnest music as I did with Kulik's skate (my personal bias).

Petrenko is still a good skater, but did nothing for me. Boitano, likewise, did nothing for me. I know he was trying something different, I just didn't think it really worked.

Jill

On the Ice
I enjoyed Ice Wars. I think Oksana looked and skated great. Now, the $67,000?, why does she act like such an a-hole off the ice in the viewing area?

Yo, Oksana, you are not the cute little 16 year old waif that you were at the Olympics. You're in your 20s, you're a woman.
GROW UP AND ACT LIKE A LADY, NOT LIKE A DORKY KID!!!!!

Honest to God, I was embarassed for her, and I'm sure that the rest of Team World was, too.:rolleye:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
David has a great spread eagle!

ITA! My dad was really impressed too... that's one of his favorite elements(after the Death Drop).

Anyway... I didn't like the two teams, granted the US just doesn't have the skaters anymore to really compete, but I miss the hype between Kurt and Brian. Nicole's Artistic was very pretty... then again Oksana's Swan is always good... while she's not up there technically she is way improved from the LAST time I saw her skate.

I dunno.. Kurt just wasn't really with it in the technical... I wonder if it's just lack of really WANTING to win, or just nerves, or what?

I really liked the fluff piece on Jamie and David and Elena and Anton... it wasn't them pitted against each other so much as they were both saying "hey it's over, it's done with, we all handled it the best we saw how during the olympics, the media made into something it wasn't" I really thought that both teams were very very gracious towards each other and they were just all around awesome...

though with that fall in the Artistic(and the two foot landing) I wasn't too sure with some of the scores... but this is pro skating so falling on jumps don't count for as much... (Though Kurt was kinda shocked at some of them too! LOL)

I WANT A KURT AND BABY FLUFF PIECE!

Oh and Brian Boitano's programs were really boring... it was a neat concept(kinda CSI-ish) but it just lacked in the program quality IMHO.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I did not see all of Ice Wars because I will be going to the World Team FS challenge on Wed. and did not want to see it all beforehand. However, I could not help but watch Kurts' second program. It was amazing. I hope he skates it as well on Wed.

Kuliks' jumps were spectacular as Tracy said.

It's always great to see these skaters.

heyang

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed this edition of Ice Wars - North America vs everyone else (Russia).

I was very impressed by Oksana's speed. She seemed almost too excited to land all the jumps cleanly. I'm not a huge fan of hers - there's something about the way she holds herself going into some of the jumps that I don't enjoy. She's always done it - perhaps if she hadn't had so many personal problems she would have toned her telegraphing down.

I'm glad Viktor didn't do an 'I'm So Sexy' type program. I really prefer him when he performs to classical routines. When he tries that come-hither look with the smirky sexy grin, it's a turn off for me personally.

Kurt - great footwork as always.

Ilia - beautiful. If he has a quad combo, he could definitely compete as an eligible. I wish he had done 2 different styles. Both his programs were very soft and classic and I've enjoyed his techno funky stuff. (Herbie Hancock, Baseball cap, Rubberband Man) He can move his whole body to suit the music.

Brian B. I love him, but didn't particularly enjoy the Film Noir tribute. My favorite programs of his are Carousel Waltz, Phantom of the Opera, Shenandoah/Mariah and Wild Elephants (swing music from the Gap commecial a few years ago).

Nicole B. Lots of talent but no discipline to maintain skills to best or push herself. She does have charisma.

S&P. I enjoyed their skating, but think that if B&S had skated better (they seemed to lose energy after Elena's fall), that B&S would have won. B&S's programs were a lot more complex and had more speed IMO. S&P's best asset as compared to B&S is their connection to each other and the audience.

LarasB

Rinkside
I am glad I was able to watch the Ice Wars competition. NB's first program was not televised but from what I hear she didn't do well. I think OB has improved a lot, it was really nice to see here skate again and getting slowly back to form. Enjoyed the performances by V. Petrenko, it was nice to see him skate to something more serious, K. Browning, B. Boitano's first program, but did not like the continuation of the same theme for the second program. He skated well, but I didn't like the theme. Illia Kulik was wonderful to watch. Loved B&Z and S&P. I like both teams and they skated very well except for B&Z's mistake in the second program. Overall an enjoyable program to watch.:)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Re: Re: Ice Wars Opinions

frozetoez said:
That's a typical human reaction. Call something stupid when you don't get the concept. :sheesh:

I think you can understand the concept of a program and STILL think it's stupid. I'm with Daniel.