Jeremy Abbott tweets about this great article | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott tweets about this great article

apple123

On the Ice
Oh my dear Jeremy, so you know you always peak too early in the season! hopefully you can make it right this year. btw, his persona is really likable

Layfan

Record Breaker
Very nice and detailed interview. It was great to see Jeremy freely speak so highly of his competitors. I know a lot of skaters do but a lot of skaters, during interviews, seem like they just ignore the existence of the other skaters and they rarely mention their names without prompting.

Also loved hearing about what he sees for himself past competitive skating and what he said about David Wilson and his insecurities. Don't we all feel like that at times? :) But it's nice to see that even someone as accomplished as David feels that way sometimes.

Good luck next week Jeremy!!

andofan

Rinkside
Seems like a nice kid-- fingers crossed he'll deliver a repeat performance from last year's nationals and make it on the world team. :thumbsup:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Jeremy still is the only man from the USA that completely blew me away with his Beatles SP last year; that's my second favorite performance from a USA male skater, Rudy Galindo's Swan Lake being my all-time favorite! :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEREMY!!!!!!!!!! :party:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I love that he gets inspiration from dance; I think he started out as an ice dancer. I love his edges.

He just tweeted that he's pictured in the program for Europeans (for his lutz entrance I think). Anyway, he sounds likable and down to earth. I really hope he repeats as US Champ, then he will join the ranks of 3-time US Champs along with Johnny and Michael Weiss.

herios

Medalist
Jeremy still is the only man from the USA that completely blew me away with his Beatles SP last year; that's my second favorite performance from a USA male skater, Rudy Galindo's Swan Lake being my all-time favorite! :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEREMY!!!!!!!!!! :party:

What he blew me away with was his LP, that music is dramatic, built up and had a bang factor on me, giving me goosebumps. Most likely I have watched that youtube by 30-40 times by now. I wish him all the good luck next week, as he is favorite US skater hands down. And I always was a late bloomers fan by the way, and he is one of them.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Great article! Thanks!

I'm a big fan of his skating. The rest, I don't care much.

Glad that he'll compete next year too.

I don't mind him not winning Nationals this year, as long as he gets on the podium and go to the world which I believe he will. Hopefully this time, he peaks at the world.

Last edited:

genki

On the Ice
Yes, Jeremy. 'At NHK, I was so drawn into his program, " Life is beautiful" that I forgot the time passed. That is the quality that I want from all skating performances.
Quality, which deprives me of time passing, gives me chills through the spine, makes my eyes misty and makes me forget about scores.

Currently, only two male skaters in this world can make me feel this way by their performances, Jeremy and Dai.
Chan just got the highest score in the history of figure skating, but his performance never makes me feel this way, no matter how many times he lands quads.

Gor for it, Jeremy.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Currently, only two male skaters in this world can make me feel this way by their performances, Jeremy and Dai.
YES! ITA! Jeremy seems like such a sweet person, lovelovelove his FS for this year! Love his choice of costume for this year too, reminds me of the old days of mens' figure skating with a tie, a nice clean shirt, a vest and some nice pants. :)

Daisuke. Last year. SUCH a source of inspiration. Had he not fallen at the Olympics, I would've given him a gold medal, regardless of the other mistakes he made! Actually, I'd still give him the gold medal anyway. *swoons*

Chan just got the highest score in the history of figure skating...

It's Nationals, what do you expect? It doesn't count as a world record though, so you might be happy to hear that Dai still has the WR for overall score. :) Anyway, Patrick really did deserve his win. Quad and quad/triple in a year without having learned it in past years? I'd say that's pretty impressive!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
YES! ITA! Jeremy seems like such a sweet person, lovelovelove his FS for this year! Love his choice of costume for this year too, reminds me of the old days of mens' figure skating with a tie, a nice clean shirt, a vest and some nice pants.

I love his this year's LP costume very much too, and totally enjoy his program. But I prefer his last year's LP. This year's LP is a little too simple. It's a slow music, beautiful and everything but not competitive enough. It didn't bring out all what Jeremy can do in his best abilities. Put extra emphasis on his musicality, but undermined his technical superiority.:scowl:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeremy just tweeted about Patrick's "pretty amazing" skate. I wouldn't bet on a smaller minded skater, oh let's say Johnny, doing that.

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's clear from Jeremy's interview that he's not afraid to acknowledge the greatness of his competitors. It's very refreshing. As long as he believes that he too can be the best, though... That's the thing about great competitors. They have go out thinking "I want to win and I can win" no matter how good the others are. But you know what? Jeremy is who he is so whatever. I'm happy to get to see him skate win or lose.

seniorita

Record Breaker
The best twits of Jeremy were about Golden Globes, he has so much humor, if he is in mood you can crack up!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks for another great interview.

"The whole point was to challenge myself and I definitely did that!" (about the Flamenco/Tango SP) Brave boy! I love that he does two programs that are so different. And that he is working hard to make them better. Trying to be creative as well as doing the hardest jump. Can't wait to see how he has improved them.

Actually, i thought he did some of his own choreography. And why so humble? That's not my cliché of an American :p I am sure he would/will do fine. Go for the choreography business Jeremy!

Jeremy on twitter wants to show the person he is; Silly, funny, happy, serious, focused, dedicated athlete …
I wish he could loosen up a bit more and be all this on the ice too. When he skates, and is serious and focused, he looks so tense and frightened that my nerves get twisted.

Anyway, as a wish-well present to him I am going to find a happier Jeremy for my avatar.

And I always was a late bloomers fan by the way, and he is one of them.

Me too :thumbsup: And Sochi? No closed doors.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
^ :laugh:

So that's how he looks when he is happy :think: OK, you said silly ...

genki

On the Ice
It doesn't count as a world record though, so you might be happy to hear that Dai still has the WR for overall score.
Thanks, afthertherain, I did not know that. So Dai's record still holds the number one place! Yeah;

Anyway, I am so curious to see how Jeremy's pcs fares against Chan, when he skates perfect with a quad in nationals.
IMO, Jeremy's interpretation should be higher than Chan, but who knows. Chan finally got 10 from judge #5!!

I wish the best for Jeremy so that he can skate in worlds and have an exciting skate match with Dai.

sunny0760

On the Ice
IMO, Jeremy's interpretation should be higher than Chan, but who knows. Chan finally got 10 from judge #5!!

Jeremy's perfect LP at 2010 US Nationals got very deserving high scores!
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2010/64740/results.html
I thought he did NOT deserve any -GOEs but J9 gave him one -1 even if the judge was generous overall.

Jeremy 2010 Nationals :
175.81(89.75+86.06) / SS 8.50, TR 8.46, P/E 8.75, CH 8.57, IN 8.75

Chan 2011 Nationals :
197.07(103.41+93.66) / SS 9.26, TR 9.17, P/E 9.58, CH 9.33, IN 9.46

Well, I don't want to compare these scores, saying this is fair/unfair.
To me, these two performances are the most inspiring from two of my favorites. I just hope they repeat this level of programs. Chan's is more difficult so higher scores... but Jeremy's will remain the most memorable to me for some reasons.

1) In general, PCS are getting higher this year.
2) IN is the most subjective category IMO. If skaters skate clean or have a good reputation/past record, judges seem to get more generous on IN. It is easy to blame judges when they give higher IN points to the skaters you don't like very much. But anyway, judges can be very subjective like anyone else.
3) I don't agree with giving 10 to anyone because 10 is not like 6.0. It should be 9.75 to indicate the 'near perfection'. :biggrin:

genki

On the Ice
Hi Sunnyo76o
To me, these two performances are the most inspiring from two of my favorites. I just hope they repeat this level of programs. Chan's is more difficult so higher scores... but Jeremy's will remain the most memorable to me for some reasons.

I agree!! you know what many people say PCS is very subjective, but I am so sure that if you ask say 100 ordinary people(not people on this forum) which performance is more memorable, Jeremy's or Chan's, more than 70% (conservatively) will answer Jeremy's. You said " for some reasons." , because it is hard to nail it, but it is a fact that Jeremy's program is more memorable due to it's better artistic quality. If the question is " which is more memorable, Takahiko's or Dai's" , probably about 95% will say it is Dai's. So artistic impression. although , many people say it is subjunctive, it is not as a matter of fact subjective when there is significant differences in quality.

However, it is very hard to assess SS among top skaters. Can you really assess quality difference between Dai, Taka, and Chan? SS, I believe, is a reputation score, rather than real difference in skills.