Senior Men Short | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Senior Men Short

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, technically, Patrick WAS clean ... not his best but he was easily THE best here even with the doubled axel.

Great showing from Shawn though. It was the highlight for me mainly because I've seen Patrick do better.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Looking at the GOEs and PCS.... not as bad as it could've been.

Patrick got one 3, 3 twos, three ones... and one -3 for his double axel.

herios

Medalist
Looking at the GOEs and PCS.... not as bad as it could've been.

Patrick got one 3, 3 twos, three ones... and one -3 for his double axel.

You see, that is a load of crap, how can you give that jump pluses??? for what, for height? It wasn't even pretty, because he opened up his legs in the air, when he changed his mind. he should've gotten no more than zeros.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Men SP Results:

1 Patrick Chan 88.78
2 Shawn Sawyer 77.64
3 Joey Russell 69.41
4 Elladj Baldé 66.07
5 Kevin Reynolds 61.76
6 Ian Martinez 61.40
7 Liam Firus 60.66
8 Patrick Myzyk 58.34
9 Marc-André Craig 58.09
10 Ronald Lam 57.39
11 Andrei Rogozine 57.29
12 Maxime-Billy Fortin 52.26
13 Dave Ferland 48.97
14 Charles Dion 47.68
15 Samuel Morais 47.29
16 Raphael Yacobi-Harris 43.03
17 Andrew Lum 39.52

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Code:
This is just a national score, which tends to be higher but it wouldn't count in world ranking. Personally I dismiss most personal bests from National events. 88 is what I've been expecting for Patrick here. Internationally, he could earn that without doubling the 3A. He did that tonight to stay clean as he didn't need the 3A. Better to conseve the energy for the LP. Internationally, he nevers downgrades voluntarily.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A little too much for my taste.

Considering Lysacek was given an 83+ for his flawed SP at last year's US Nationals without a quad and with a bad step-out of his 3Axel and considering that his skating skills are nowhere near the level of Chan's, I actually don't see it as an overscore. Patrick is a much better skater than Evan (though Lysacek is a better competitor) and Chan is without parallel, Canada's top man. Now if he had gotten that kind of score and the lead with that performance at the World Championships skating against strong performances by Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Abbott, and Verner, I would be upset. These scores are expected of Chan here at Canadian Nationals, especially since he came in as the GP Final Champion.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Whatever. I'm just glad the judges recognized that Shawn's PCS should be ahead of Reynolds. Now if they'd just nudge them a bit higher (you know, to where they should be), I'd be happy.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Considering Lysacek was given an 83+ for his flawed SP at last year's US Nationals without a quad and with a bad step-out of his 3Axel and considering that his skating skills are nowhere near the level of Chan's, I actually don't see it as an overscore. Patrick is a much better skater than Evan (though Lysacek is a better competitor) and Chan is without parallel, Canada's top man. Now if he had gotten that kind of score and the lead with that performance at the World Championships skating against strong performances by Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Abbott, and Verner, I would be upset. These scores are expected of Chan here at Canadian Nationals, especially since he came in as the GP Final Champion.

Wait a minute. Chan, overscoring.. okay? Wow, you must be in a good mood today :laugh: Though I pretty much agree. They're high, but given what was possible (he's pushing 90% here), we should be relieved.

seniorita

Record Breaker
maybe the first time i really enjoyed a Chan´s program so i will write it on my agenda as a significant day!:biggrin:

Great skate, he is much more relaxed than the Gps and sold the choreo, and nevermind the 2axel, this quad was so huge i thought it was a triple!:eek: I m really impressed also about his set up to the quad.

Sawyer was great too and he has one of the best Lps of the season!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Whatever. I'm just glad the judges recognized that Shawn's PCS should be ahead of Reynolds. Now if they'd just nudge them a bit higher (you know, to where they should be), I'd be happy.

I'm grateful that the Canadian judges are finally giving Shawn more points for PCS, but I agree that I would be happier if the number was a little higher. ;)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait a minute. Chan, overscoring.. okay? Wow, you must be in a good mood today :laugh: Though I pretty much agree. They're high, but given what was possible (he's pushing 90% here), we should be relieved.

Well, he didn't fall 3 times in the SP tonight. I actually can appreciate Chan's skating when he's not butt planted to the ice. ;) I don't see the perfection in his skating that the judges do, but he does have a lot of spunk and terrific footwork, speed, and flow across the ice. I like how he attacks his programs and I applaud him for not backing down from trying the quad jump.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, he didn't fall 3 times in the SP tonight. I actually can appreciate Chan's skating when he's not butt planted to the ice. ;) I don't see the perfection in his skating that the judges do, but he does have a lot of spunk and terrific footwork, speed, and flow across the ice. I like how he attacks his programs and I applaud him for not backing down from trying the quad jump.

Oh, I know. ptf made fun of me for it, but I don't think I can handle Chan winning with three falls. A skate like his GPF one with a second quad instead of the second 3A will be a fine thing to see.

ETA: protocol PDF

Serious Business

Record Breaker
because he opened up his legs in the air, when he changed his mind. he should've gotten no more than zeros.

Your statement there betrays a fundamental ignorance of not only how GOEs guidelines work, but how figure skating jumps even work. You may be used to your faves two-footing their landings and taking forever to uncross their weak little legs, but a skater finishing his rotation in mid-air is a sign of strength and control. Coupled that with speed in and out of the jump, choreography in and out, and timed to the music, that jump absolutely deserved +goe according to a little thing haters like to ignore called the rules.

On the other hand, Shawn Sawyer getting a +1 on the 3axel where he touched down is absolutely ridiculous, or the other judge who gave him no deductions on the element.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
You're welcome, Layfan. :)

I found a hilarious screencap of Shawn's reaction to his marks. :rofl: http://i56.tinypic.com/34q1ssl.jpg

yeah, and he said "77??" heh. He was thrilled even though some fans weren't. I dunno, maybe he should be a closer to chan on the performance and interpretation marks. But whatever. Overall, the placements were just right.

Really hope Shawn does well tomorrow and goes to worlds. Chan has that huge lead but Shawn's gotta be feeling pretty good that HE has a huge lead over the rest of them.

herios

Medalist
Your statement there betrays a fundamental ignorance of not only how GOEs guidelines work, but how figure skating jumps even work. You may be used to your faves two-footing their landings and taking forever to uncross their weak little legs, but a skater finishing his rotation in mid-air is a sign of strength and control. Coupled that with speed in and out of the jump, choreography in and out, and timed to the music, that jump absolutely deserved +goe according to a little thing haters like to ignore called the rules.

QUOTE] I am not used to anything. The jump was not well executed, as it was never meant to be a quality double axel, nor it was one. He looked awkward opening up his legs, and that is it. I just consider that plus GOE's for such an element is ridiculous. And whetever you think I am ignorant of, please spare me of your opinion. i am entitled to express my feeling and that is end of story.