Senior Men Short | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Senior Men Short

Tigger

Final Flight
Thank you. I thought so.That is a shame. Some of us we have Bold, but not everybody has it. how do they want t make FS more popular? Can they just spare us at least once a year of the damn hockey?

Well considering the "damn hockey", as you so nicely call it, is the CBC's main draw for Sports, has the most sponsors paying for ads, which in turn, provides the CBC w/the money to pay for the contracts for covering other sports such as...Oh gee...I don't know...Like skating for instance, I wouldn't be so quick to complain about HNIC.

Instead of complaining, how about being grateful the CBC is even showing it? We were pretty close not so long ago to none of the Cdn Networks picking up the contract due to the ISU thinking it was still the hey days and asking for too much money for the skating coverage.

Then again, I doubt that'll stop you from dumping on "the damn hockey", which BTW I am also a huge fan of and I don't appreciate seeing one of my other sports I'm passionate over being talked about in such a manner. Especially thanks to it helping to pay for the Skating Coverage we now have in the first place!!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well considering the "damn hockey", as you so nicely call it, is the CBC's main draw for Sports, has the most sponsors paying for ads, which in turn, provides the CBC w/the money to pay for the contracts for covering other sports such as...Oh gee...I don't know...Like skating for instance, I wouldn't be so quick to complain about HNIC.

Considering that the hockey game which followed was a replay, would it really kill the network to give figure skating fans a half hour more of coverage so that we could at least watch a few of our country's top male skaters perform their short programs instead of just one?

I'm sorry to hear that Canada is in almost the same position as the U.S. when it comes to skating coverage. When I used to get TV Guide magazine regularly, often under a skating show listing they would write "Time approximate after football" or "...after basketball." Sometimes things would go into double overtime in the game, and we'd see about 25 minutes of a two-hour skating program. I thought, we'll know that skating has succeeded when one day I open TV Guide and see a listing that says "Time approximate after figure skating." It never happened, alas.

Sorry you folk didn't get the chance to see your other men's short programs.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
If Kevin skates fairly well in the long I dont see why he wouldnt be expected to overhaul Joey Russel who has nowhere near the technical ammunition Reynolds has. 8 and a half spots isnt that much considering the difference in scoring potential between them. I think the 3rd spot is still Reynold's to win or lose almost.

Yeah, I have seen him come back and jump a couple of spots after a bad short. I hope he doesn't jump over Shawn though. :p

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sorry you folk didn't get the chance to see your other men's short programs.

Thanks for the sympathy; you do understand the pain. :cry: The ladies' event is usually the most popular in the USA, so imagine if the network that was airing the US Nationals suddenly decided to cut out the Ladies' SP (with the exception of the winner) to save time. It's just WRONG. :scowl:

Yeah, I have seen him come back and jump a couple of spots after a bad short. I hope he doesn't jump over Shawn though. :p

We're of the same mindset. ;)

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've glanced at the protocols, and I've noticed that Sawyer had the best 3A of the top 9 men and 3rd best 3A of the evening. Only Lam (10th place) and Rogozine (11th place) scored higher for that jump. How ironic is that?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I've glanced at the protocols, and I've noticed that Sawyer had the best 3A of the top 9 men and 3rd best 3A of the evening. Only Lam (10th place) and Rogozine (11th place) scored higher for that jump. How ironic is that?

Rogozine reminds me of Plush in the sense that his 3a is gorgeous but his 3lz is wonky. Also, if Chan falls on or chickens out and doubles his 3a today, I'm going to laugh. Imagine if he won Worlds with no 3a - Plush would be furious! :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's hockey for Canada, football for the USA... whatever rakes in the most dough wins. So, the "blood" sports win out. No biggie to me, as I enjoy football (I've watched it with more interest than skating this year, I'm afraid.) Never did get into Hockey - though I try every once in a while to watch a game through to the end.

How ever, I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch because someone ragged on football (a lot of folks on here do). No one has to like it anymore than a football fan has to like skating. We all have our dislikes, and getting upset that one was chacked for other may not solve problems, but it's our right to voice our opinions one way or the other...

jettasian

Match Penalty
I have Bold TV. On Sat, I've been watching 8 hours of coverage, 3hr of Women, 3hr of Men, 2hr of Pairs. Today, Bold will be showing 2hr of Dance and 3.5hr of Men. CBC sucks though, they always seem to show Gala more than the actual competition. Go figure!

gottadance

On the Ice
I have Bold TV. On Sat, I've been watching 8 hours of coverage, 3hr of Women, 3hr of Men, 2hr of Pairs. Today, Bold will be showing 2hr of Dance and 3.5hr of Men. CBC sucks though, they always seem to show Gala more than the actual competition. Go figure!

I think the point being missed is that the Nationals are only once a year whereas hockey is 2 or more games per week . This was a replay for Gods sake so absoutely no reason why CBC needed to miss so much of the skating. If it were the playoffs then I would think differently but its just another game. If they really wanted to show the hockey to its conclusion why not just lengthen the skating coverage after the game so both the hockey and the skating fans would be happy ????!!!!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

He wont catch Sawyer unless Sawyer opens the door for him to with a pretty bad skate. However I think he can be expected to overhaul Russel and probably will, as much as a part of me would like to see Russel finish 3rd and maybe be named to the team.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks for all reports and the youtube links of Patrick and Shawn. Seems like an exciting SP competition for those who could watch. I thought there was no chance for me, so I didn't stay up. Is this link http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Cha.../ID=1724485148 (that worked outside Canada) on for the men's LP also?

The two guys on youtube were really enjoyable to watch, especially Shawn :clap:

I have a soft spot for Baldé since I saw him at junior worlds two years ago. I know he was injured last season though. Is his SP somewhere on youtube? Well, I hope I can see him and the other canadian guys today(or let's say tonight).

Good luck to all with successful programs!

lavender

Record Breaker
Sawyer was great and excited. I enjoy watching Sawyer even when he messes up. Chan was pretty good. That quad was effortless. I know he wishes he started doing the quad sooner. The only thing I can say about Reynolds to be nice is that he looks like a character from Harry Potter. I think he expected better scores because of the 2 quads but on was seriously under rotated. Plus he execution of his elements weren't that great imo.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
He wont catch Sawyer unless Sawyer opens the door for him to with a pretty bad skate. However I think he can be expected to overhaul Russel and probably will, as much as a part of me would like to see Russel finish 3rd and maybe be named to the team.

Yeah, I just remembered what a lead Shawn had on Kevin after the SP, so I'm not as worried.