Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Senior Pairs Free Program

Oh my God, I'm so happy Meagan & Eric got the silver medal! Congratulations to the medalists and to the new Canadian pairs champion!

On the Ice
    Congratulations to Meagan&Eric, MT&M! They can go to the Worlds!
    Who will be sent to 4CC?

Am I the only one who thinks Dube and Davison would have been hard pressed to beat Moore-Towers and Moscovitch at this competition, had they competed?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Dube and Davison would have been hard pressed to beat Moore-Towers and Moscovitch at this competition, had they competed?
    Unfortunately, no. I don't think that there's any question that Dube/Davison are light years ahead of Moore-Towers/Moscovitch in terms of transitions and refinement, but their tendency to fall on side by side jumps could have really hurt them here, especially with M-T/M skating relatively cleanly. That being said, I think that a clean D/D would still finish very easilt ahead of a clean M-T/M.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Unfortunately, no. I don't think that there's any question that Dube/Davison are light years ahead of Moore-Towers/Moscovitch in terms of transitions and refinement, but their tendency to fall on side by side jumps could have really hurt them here, especially with M-T/M skating relatively cleanly. That being said, I think that a clean D/D would still finish very easilt ahead of a clean M-T/M.
    Yeah, exactly, I think Dube and Davison would have beat them if they were clean, but the chance of Dube and Davison going clean seems kind of slim sometimes (Jessica almost always falls on a SBS jump). I think they would also have trouble beating a clean Duhamel and Radford or even Lawrence and Swiegers if they had a fall and the other two went clean.

Custom Title
    Not really. Dube/Davison present means that Mt/M would've likely seen a drop in PCS along with little things - D/D's programs exploit COP better (five back-ended elements; the higher risk triple lutz with the loop as the throws as opposed to the salchow/loop, higher level elements with the triple twist and the death spiral). It might have been a challenge, but I think D/D would win.

Custom Title
    Yeah, exactly, I think Dube and Davison would have beat them if they were clean, but the chance of Dube and Davison going clean seems kind of slim sometimes (Jessica almost always falls on a SBS jump). I think they would also have trouble beating a clean Duhamel and Radford or even Lawrence and Swiegers if they had a fall and the other two went clean.
    Agreed. Remember what happened to them in 2008 when they went down in the short? They got left down in fifth, and couldn't climb higher than second even with what I considered to be one of their absolute finest, cleanest free skate performances ever. I know that those were different teams, but that really doesn't matter. Pairs is all about the elements, and if you miss them, anyone who skates clean can surpass you, provided their techincal difficulty levels are in the same range as yours, which is true for all of the teams that you mentioned. I really do hope that D/D can come back strong and healthy next season. They're still a couple of my absolute favourite skaters, and I think that they have a lot to offer. They just need to learn to keep it together under pressure.

Custom Title
    I think Dube & Davison over two programs have atleast a 2 fall advantage over M-T/M and a 4 fall advantage over the other current top pairs. Then again they have consistency problems so who knows. None ofthe top pairs skated totally perfectly (not even Moore-Towers and Moscovitch) and D&D usually skate pretty well at Canadians so they probably would have still won.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Agreed. Remember what happened to them in 2008 when they went down in the short? They got left down in fifth, and couldn't climb higher than second even with what I considered to be one of their absolute finest, cleanest free skate performances ever. I know that those were different teams, but that really doesn't matter. Pairs is all about the elements, and if you miss them, anyone who skates clean can surpass you, provided their techincal difficulty levels are in the same range as yours, which is true for all of the teams that you mentioned. I really do hope that D/D can come back strong and healthy next season. They're still a couple of my absolute favourite skaters, and I think that they have a lot to offer. They just need to learn to keep it together under pressure.
    Yeah, I remember that now.. iirc they were even behind Brodeur and Mattatall after the short?

CBC Sports.ca's article on Pairs last night...

CBC Sports ~ Moore-Towers, Moscovitch win pairs event

Make sure that you all go down to the Comments section to the first post, which is now the last one in the lineup of Comments, and read it. It's a very special one.

On the Ice
    That's hilarious. Congrats to the pround Grandma!

Custom Title
    This competition was really interesting. Once at the arena and watching the event, I totally forgot Dube and Davison were absent. It was really exciting and well-skated. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch were great and really thrived under the pressure. Duhamel and Radford have gelled amazingly quickly and have a bright, bright future ahead of them. Deservedly silver here. If this is how far they've been able to come in less than a year, I'm excited to see what the future will bring.

I think Lawrence and Zwiegers will be Canadian champions one day. These two are adorable. He is a ham, and loves the audience. He was playing around with them even just prior to the pair's skate — particularly when an audience member accidentally hit him in the head with a stuffed toy they were throwing on the ice for the previous couple.

Speaking of just prior to skating, Brodeur and Mattatall came onto the ice just as Duhamel and Radford were leaving and John Mattatall gave them a little private applause for a job well done, thus endearing him to me forever. Total class act.

Custom Title
    There'll be no guarantees for D/D if Bryce's health allows them to return. They have looked tentative for the last couple of seasons (except for their great Nats performance last year).

The new teams are hungry, enthusiastic and don't have the pressure of reputations to defend. I wish D/D the best, but perhaps it is no longer their day. Regardless, world bronze is a fantastic accomplishment.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily View Post
    There'll be no guarantees for D/D if Bryce's health allows them to return. They have looked tentative for the last couple of seasons (except for their great Nats performance last year).

The new teams are hungry, enthusiastic and don't have the pressure of reputations to defend. I wish D/D the best, but perhaps it is no longer their day. Regardless, world bronze is a fantastic accomplishment.
    Yes, it is a great accomplishment, however is in the past and they never came close to that ever since. For me, D/D are some of the most dissapointing of our canadian skaters in the past few years. And I have to tell you many fans around the world are considering them overrated for their artistry. Jessica is a weak jumper.

Custom Title
    Maybe, but when has Sawyer or Phaneuf ever displayed this level of tenacity? Like D/D, both are coached by Barabe. I suggest we wait and see what she does for them next season. But no, outside of their Nationals LP last season, they haven't come close to that world bronze.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast