Senior Pairs Free Program | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs Free Program

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Purdy/Marinaro: Aborted the same lift they struggled with in the SP, but the other two were okay. Problems with all jumps (two-footed/fall/bad timing). Credit to them for getting their combo in (they couldn't do it on their 3S, so they added the 2T to their 2A). Score: 74.02/111 overall. Coach mentions in KnC they were aiming for around 120 overall.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln. The second pair had a scary near fall on their second lift They saved it but it was terrifying to watch (you basically could see it going wrong in slow motion). Pairs ladies are crazy.

Scout

Final Flight
Just tuned in and it seems like a rough start to the pairs LP. So excited for the final flight though!

Tigger

Final Flight
Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln. The second pair had a scary near fall on their second lift They saved it but it was terrifying to watch (you basically could see it going wrong in slow motion). Pairs ladies are crazy.

No kidding. That was breathtaking for all of the wrong reasons. I was holding my breath for all of their lifts, as they just were not only crawling along, but you had a feeling they were on the edge of disaster the entire program w/the lifts.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kwong just compared Brittany Jones to Gordeeva, because they're both small (she seems smaller than last year - skinnier, anyway). I presume that's the reason anyway. I've only seen them skate last year at Nationals, and they have guts and attack, but last year I thought he would throw her out the building they lack control.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
people are always comparing other pairs to Gordeeva and Grinkov but no one is really like them.. I say that and I'm not even a huge fan of them.. I'm just sick of the random comparisons

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Cote/Arensault were much improved from last season. Slight problem on final throw (salchow), unison break during spin and iffy final lift (though more secure than some we've seen) were the biggest misses for me

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kurtis, quick note. Brittany is tough. She skates with attack and vigour. But what she's not, and this is important... what she's not is a rag doll. Please stop throwing her like she's one. Second year in a row they end up ahead of the music (her arm movements in the end are hilariously prolonged so as to not get the deduction) and that manic-rushed quality is clear throughout (they fell on the SBS 3S - both of them, and they lost the combo for the 2A as well because they rushed too much). If they had more control and calm, they'd be pretty cool to watch because they are so tough (he had issues with a lift, but she was so strong in the air he was able to maintain it despite problems getting her up) and committed.

goose

Rinkside
underwhelming pairs event so far.

Cote/Arensault were the most impressive.

Brittany Jones / Kurtis Gaskell

I think they look a bit better than last year in terms of how they pace themselves, but Kurtis has a lot to learn to be a good pair man. Their lifts are downright precarious, due to the fact that he cannot balance himself and Brittany. I wish they stopped rotating themselves before taking off on SBS jumps.

Kaleigh Hole / Adam Johnson are going downhill for sometime. Their performance wasn't as disastrous as the challenge, but it was disappointing to see the team losing focus and botching both SBS jumps.

Scout

Final Flight
Crossing my fingers that Meagan lands her jumps...and that all 4 teams skate clean. Is that too much to ask?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
jumps landed. Both throws (flip and lutz). SBS triple toes. SBS triple flips landed, though the combo was botched (it's supposed to be a 3F 2T 2T... not sure what it actually was - I think a 3F-T-2T). Pretty great. Megan and Eric are VERY excited, and good for them - they should be.

Tigger

Final Flight
So beyond thrilled for Megan and Eric and what a difference from Skate Canada!!! Wasn't so sure about this program back then, but has it ever grown and then some!!

Oh Mylene and John...There just are no words for a performance like that. Want to reach through the screen and hug them. :(

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Lawrence and Sweigers were REALLY bringing it, but that random fall (from him on a 3-turn) really dislocated them. He hurt his back (he said afterwards) and it clearly affected everything that followed, including two lifts that I have no idea how he got up (but he did). He's walking all right, but I think he's hurt (he left the ice pretty much immediately after the skate, whereas she stayed on and collected flowers)

goose

Rinkside
Lawrence/Swiegers, another team delivers. They looked like a completely different team than from GP season. They beefed up their program quite a bit.

Mylene/John, all the grace and basic of pairs skating is all there. They were having problems with throw jumps unfortunately. I hope to see them stay on for another season and give it a try.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am sorry but I never saw grace in Brodeur & Mattatal. They are pleasant and their love of skating comes through but I always found them kind of a truck driver pair. Their basics are good enough, but they arent polished in the least.

Anyway Moore-Towers & Moskovitch have clearly already won even though their program isnt over. It was going to take about 3 falls for them to lose at this point anyway. They are skating great so far.