Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Four Continents, Junior World, Senior World and Senior National Teams

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I'm surprised they named Joey to the World Team like that. Kevin has had much better international results recently and Joey, on top of being really inconsistent, seems to get very low scores internationally even when he does skate decently. I'm happy to see Joey go to Worlds, I just fear that he tanks and doesn't make it to the FS...
    The selection criteria is the same as last year. Joey Russel earned the spot. As for tanking, there's no garantee Kevin would not implode like he just did. Nobody knows now what will happen, including the skaters, who certainly do not wish to tank. Happens to some of the best nonetheless.

Custom Title

skate canada's option's?

I am confused as to whether Skate Canada is bound by rule to send the top finishing skaters from Nationals or whether they have any leeway at all . If they do have the option then it would surely be in the interests of all concerned to have the 3rd man on the World team be selected on the basis of 4C's. I think I read that the Japanese Federation does that on occasion. The goal is to send the best possible team to Worlds which will in turn ensure that we get the maximum number of skaters to the following years worlds etc. That being the case , and given the length of time between 4C's and Worlds , why not use the opportunity for one last challenge for Russell and Reynolds for that last spot.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I'm surprised they named Joey to the World Team like that. Kevin has had much better international results recently and Joey, on top of being really inconsistent, seems to get very low scores internationally even when he does skate decently. I'm happy to see Joey go to Worlds, I just fear that he tanks and doesn't make it to the FS...
    For whatever reason, Skate Canada uses Nationals to determine the World Team 99.9% of the time and rarely take into account international results. Vaughn Chipeur had dreadful GP scores, but he was still sent to the 2009 Worlds (where he didn't place high enough to earn the Canadian men 3 spots for the Olympics) and the 2010 Olympics (where he finished 23rd) because he was the Canadian silver medalist in both years. I'm not a fan of this system, but it's just the way things are in Canadian figure skating.

Quote Originally Posted by gottadance View Post
    I am confused as to whether Skate Canada is bound by rule to send the top finishing skaters from Nationals or whether they have any leeway at all. If they do have the option then it would surely be in the interests of all concerned to have the 3rd man on the World team be selected on the basis of 4C's
    In theory, Skate Canada has free reign over whom to send to Worlds (they're only obligated to give the Canadian champion a berth), but as I've mentioned above, the big wigs prefer to rely solely on national results. I agree with you that skate-off at 4CC would be a better way to determine who should get the 3rd spot. I like Joey's skating style a lot more than Kevin's, but considering that Kevin has done better internationally, I think it's unfair that he won't get a second chance.

The Swedish federation has a better approach, IMHO. They gave their sole 2010 Olympics and Worlds men's spot to Adrian Schultheiss because he had stronger international results than Kristoffer Berntsson, who was the reigning national champion. As much as I adore Koffe, I agree that Adrian was the best choice. For the 2011 Worlds, Berntsson, Schultheiss and Alexander Majorov (they finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd respectively at the Swedish Championships, but Majorov earned the best scores during the fall) will have to fight for 2 spots at the Nordic Championships.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by valentine View Post
    Junior worlds
    found the long of liam firus from nationals, looking for Andre's, thought Samuel Morais would be selected as he had a strong nationals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVEEBedJOA
    Some interesting things about this junior worlds. The higher ranking skaters have a D after their names saying that they are a direct entry. Rogozine does have a direct entry as he guaranteed Canada 1 direct entry this year. Firus does not have a D after his name and therefore has to do qualifying.

Of Firus, Rogozine and Morais, Rogozine is the only one who has a chance of finishing in the top 3 countries and giving us the maximum 14 JGP slots next season ( if SC will use them - see dance this year ). Firus will likely be top 10 but unlikely to be in the top 3 countries. Failure to finish in the top 3 countries would hit development hard as it would mean 7 or fewer ( depending on finish ) JGP slots.

IMO, the most important thing to do at JW is to get a finish to maximize the JGP entries next year.

I noticed on the women's side that Courtney Hicks ( US junior champ but no international experience ) has a direct entry. So the US were guaranteed 3 direct entries in ladies no matter who they send ( even if they send someone new to internationals. )
    Last edited by nadster; 02-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here's the rule that determines the number of direct entries a country gets:

From the Overall Entry Quota a Member gets as many Direct entries as the number of this Member’s Skaters in the top 18 places for Singles, top 12 places for Pairs and top 12 places for Ice Dance (European and Four Continents Figure Skating Championships according to paragraph 4. a) above and top 15 places for Ice Dance (World and World Junior Figure Skating Championships according to paragraph 4. b) above) in the corresponding discipline of the preceding season’s same Championship
    So in the case of the US, at last year's Junior Worlds, Messing, Hochstein, and Mahbanoozadeh all finished top ten. Messing and Hochstein's total was 4+6=10, which is less than or equal to 13. So at this year's Jr Worlds, the US has 3 slots. Because all of last year's JR Worlds entrants from the US finished in the top 18, all 3 US men's entries are direct entries.

Canada sent Rogozine and Lam. Rogozine finished 6th, Lam finished 20th. 6+20=26 They get 2 slots again,, because that is less than 28. Because Lam did not finish in the top 18, they only get one direct entry. So, of the 2 skaters they send this year, the one with the highest ISU standing gets the one direct entry. Of Rogozin & Firus, that direct entry then must go to Rogozine, not because he finished higher than Lam last year, but because his ISU standing is higher than Firus's standing. The slots are linked to the federation, not to the skaters.

In the case of the US ladies last year at Jr Worlds, Zawadzki, Baga and Gao all finished in the top ten. (2nd, 7th & 8th) . The top total is 2+7=9 <= 13. The lowest score is 8<=18. So the US gets three ladies slots this year, and they are all direct entries, including Hicks, despite the fact that Hicks has not been to Jr. Worlds, nor, as far as I know, has any significant international experience.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-11-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks dorispulaski for the info. I was trying to find the relevant ISU communication for this but could not find it.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I couldn't find it in the ISU Communications List, so I put the following in Google:

site:isu.org Special Regulations and Technical Rules Single and Pair Skating and Ice Dance 2010

Google gave me the correct link, from which I downloaded the file containing Rule 378, which governs entries.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3