International Skating Challenge -- Any News? | Golden Skate

International Skating Challenge -- Any News?

The International Skating Challenge is coming up next Friday in Auburn Hills. I'll be filing a report. (But maybe not such a complete one. The last time my wife and I went to an Ice Show she chewed me out afterward for being such a bad date -- she said I ignored her the whole time while I was furiously taking notes.)

Anyway, my question is: Does anyone -- NorthernLite? -- have any news about who is going to be in it? All Fall they have been giving top billing to "Olympic Champion Alexei Yagudin." But in the ABC coverage of Trophee Lalique today they dropped Yagudin from the video spot and instead led with "Five time World Champion Michelle Kwan," followed by Evgeny Plushenko, Sasha Cohen, Michael Weiss and Irina Slutskaya. I took that to mean that Alexei was out. What about Tim Goeble? Is Irina really going to appear. I know that Jenny Kirk has been added, and there was speculation about Shizuka Arakawa.

Mathman

PS. My tickets came for the "Meet and Greet" reception prior to the event. It says "an American skater will come out and meet the public for autographs," etc. It didn't say who. Actually, it is probably a pain in the neck to skaters who have to do this, especially when it cuts into their preparation time just before the event.

I can imagine they discuss it backstage, like, "You go out!" "No, you go out." "Hey, I went out in Cleveland, it's your turn!" So I guess I will probably get to meet whoever is the lowest on the totem pole that the others can bulling into doing it, LOL.

PPS. Edited to add: I just went to the event web site. I see that they took down the picture of Alexei and replace it with Michelle. But they didn't change the caption right, so now it says, here is a lovely picture of "Alexei Michelle Kwan."

http://www.palacenet.com/prdetail.cfm?pressreleaseID=2244&category=1

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Mathman ... how cool that there is a reception. You're probably right about who will come out ... whoever draws the short straw!
Hey ... that might not be so bad ... Michelle is usually very unlucky with the draws! LOL

I have also wondered about a final list of competitors ... I mean it's only 4 days away!
Glad you will be there to file a report ... just explain to your wife that you're not a boring date ... you're just supplying a very needed public service! LOL

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Irina withdrew from the competition.I believe the organizers were given the notice before the fans were, I don't know why Irina is still listed in their TV add.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I figured that Alexi and Irena would not be there.

Mathman - how did you get meet-and-greet tickets? Is that a bonus you get with the higher priced ones? I was going to get the higher priced ones until my son (who plays hockey but likes to watch figure skating - why can't I get him on figure skates?)decided he wanted to go - then $100+ became a bit too much to pay :sheesh: . Maybe next year.....

I just went to the USFSA website, and here's the scoop on the participants. http://usfsa.org/news/2003-04/intnl-challenge-preview.htm

I'm looking forward to seeing B&A in person (the only dancers I've ever been interested in watching :) )

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
sk8er1964 said:
I figured that Alexi and Irena would not be there.

Mathman - how did you get meet-and-greet tickets? Is that a bonus you get with the higher priced ones?

No, because I have the higher priced tickets and I did not know about the meet and greet either :(. I am really looking forward to this event, though! :)

The meet and greet was a special deal for supporting public television. If you gave $250 to the local PBS station for their pledge drive, you got a prize of four tickets ($55 each) plus the meet and greet. This promotion wasn't advertised very much.

Thanks for the link, Sk8er1964. All right! Look at that ladies field. All of my favorites. Interesting that they have 7 ladies and only 4 men. I hope Jennifer Robinson does well.

The dance exhibions will be kind of like a little contest, too, even though it won't be judged. I wonder what kind of form Lang and Tchernyshev will be in after a long absence from competition.

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman:

I am attending the World Team FS Challenge this Wed. Is that the same thing? Anyway, Alexi is scheduled for that as well as Kurt and Todd. That should be interesting. For the ladies we have Oksana, Nicole and Jose as well as Maria B. Can't wait!

ladybug

On the Ice
I don't think Michelle could compete if Alexi did since he turned pro.

Isn't there some kind of rule that she can't compete in a pro-am if she didn't skate at the Grand Prix?

Have a great time Mathman. I sure am jealous. Wish I was living back in the Detroit area again.

Ladybug