Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Novice Events (as seen on computer)

The Novice Events (as seen on computer)

Dance - I would say the top 6 results all have potential, and the brother/sister team have the most.

Has anyone noticed that the American Ladies are growing faster than the American Men? There will be clumsy lifting.

Paying the bills
    Variances in growth at that age are pretty common. Unfortunately, you can't always predict how tall kids will end up being, so it can lead to lots of break ups at the juvenile, intermediate and novice levels.

Parsons/Parsons are strong technically, but they are just lacking some type of spark. I love seeing the battle for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Maybe not as technically proficient yet, but those teams all have something going for them on the ice.

Custom Title
    I agree that the Parsons are excellent technical skaters, but they left me cold. I also think she might be growing a bit faster than he is. I loved the third place team, Hawayek/Bramante - she's a diva and they had tons of spark!

So far, of the ladies, I've been really impressed with Mariah Bell. I'd seen Hannah Miller before and loved her, but unfortunately she fell on her 3S. I hope she can come back in the free.
    Last edited by oleada; 01-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Custom Title
    Loved Mariah Bell's skating. She was like a little ball of fire out there. The crowd loves her you can tell.

Actually, I found most solos and pairs having more talent than I had thought before the competition.

I did not see any star bursting out of the Ladies and certainly none were as good as Kimmie when she was in Novice.

Several of the Men looked very good, but they don't star burst till they get older.

The Pairs all had speed and some good tricks but weak on the lifts. I don't care for 6ft Men partnering a 4ft Lady so I am not impressed with the lifts of certain couples.

Scores are fairly close, so results will change in the LP from the SP.

Custom Title
    Nathan Chen was fabulous. Amazing transitions and control. And he's still so young!

The pairs were nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Nathan Chen was fabulous. Amazing transitions and control. And he's still so young!

The pairs were nothing special.
    I found Chen a bit to cutsey for my taste, but he did do what he had to do.

The Pairs weren't Senior calibre, that's true, but most of them did have speed in their routines and that is something for NOVICE.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I found Chen a bit to cutsey for my taste, but he did do what he had to do.
    He's 11. I'd much rather see an 11 year old skate an age-appropriate program than try to interpret some type of music that he can't relate to at all.

Novice Ladies LP

Are there any US Novice ladies that can jump higher than 2 inches off the ice doing an edge or toeoff jump? The results of the competition were ok, but I think the results could have been different too. I really didn't see a stand-out skater.

Ice Dance I'm still ok with the results

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    He's 11. I'd much rather see an 11 year old skate an age-appropriate program than try to interpret some type of music that he can't relate to at all.
    It's beyond the programs with Chen, it's his technique and incredible skating ability that really stands out with me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    It's beyond the programs with Chen, it's his technique and incredible skating ability that really stands out with me.
    I should've clarified that I don't find him cutesy at all -- I really like the program. The transitions and choreography in his skating seem like they're there for the benefit of the program instead of the benefit of his PCS scores, and he connects everything very well and skates with a fluidity that a lot of the senior men still don't have. He has great basics.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Chen won the novice title again. This time around, it was by just a bit less than 36 points.

Wow.

Custom Title
    Watched the FS for the novice men on Icenetwork. Nathan Chen was incredible, but that not surprising. Kid is mega-talented.

Now it's novice pairs. Should be interesting.

Oh lord, Phantom of the Opera.

Custom Title
    Nathan Chen is incredible. I don't think his programs at cutesy at all - they're age appropriate for an 11 year old. The level of content and blade control for an 11 year old is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The Pairs weren't Senior calibre, that's true, but most of them did have speed in their routines and that is something for NOVICE.
    We must have been watching different pairs. The pairs that have skated teh free so far have been so SLOW!

Custom Title

The future for Nathan Chen

I do not know what the future holds for Nathan Chen, but even last year, when he was 10-I have never in my life seen a 10 year old with that sort of talent and skating ability. He must inspire hideous jealousy. He exits on 'nother figure skating planet. A whole 'nother planet and a whole 'nother league. The only one I can think of is Midori Ito-at least her jumping ability at ten. He is just unbelievable.

As he ages? Who knows. But he has to be the greatest 11 year old skater that has ever stepped on the ice.

The rest of the skating so far? Meh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast