Senior Dance Free | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Senior Dance Free

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
WOW! C/P!

I see why Tessa and Scott didn't want to compete here before they are really ready. This competition is world championship level.

Tigger

Final Flight
I really didn't care for that and I usually like Chris Dean's stuff. They were also really tight in places too.

This could be interesting.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
This will be close.

Okay, this program is punishingly difficult. Everything is designed such that ANY flaws come out more obviously (twizzles). The advantage is that where they excel PCS wise gives them a bigger point gain than W/P.

I'd give it to C/P. The judges kept it close but agreed.

lise

On the Ice
that was bogus, Sorry, I had W & P over C & P. The judges gave the nod because of the GPF as I knew they would. Did the same last year when they sent them to the Olympics despite Vanessa falling in the FD. Un real.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
C&P are definitely an overrated team. It is hilarious there is anyone who thinks they can medal at Worlds this year even with V/M now certain to skate. And I agree Weaver & Poje should have won.

herios

Medalist
The only thing I have to say, my feeling is that C/P have the potential to be around 5th in the world, so as a consequence, W/P should be able to come around 6-8 the least also. That would be an improvement of about 10 spots over their best showing at worlds. And if V/M come back, Canada could be the powerhouse of ice dance with 3 top 10 teams in the world.

lise

On the Ice
I agree. C & P have been overrated since they got on the senior circuit.There is just something about Vanessa and Paul that I just don't like.

herios

Medalist
C&P are definitely an overrated team. It is hilarious there is anyone who thinks they can medal at Worlds this year even with V/M now certain to skate. And I agree Weaver & Poje should have won.

Overrated? The judges know a whole lot better why they keep putting them where they are. or are you the supreme judge of ice dancing?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I disagree lise. C/P have the better, more intricate program and they do sell it quite well. Their errors were minor (as were W/P's) and the judges recognized that by keeping it very close.

Protocol time.....

W/P won on TES thanks to base value. That stated, they didn't lose as much of their advantage as they tend to.

C/P won GOEs and PCS. They got straight +3 GOES for the Serpentine lift (which was a gorgeous highlight)

P/I had all level fours except on step sequences. Compared to W/P, a little undermarked I felt.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

If V/M skate, no they cannot win a medal. If they don't, they're a longshot for bronze. I don't think that's that funny. We don't know where F/S are at healthwise. The Kerrs are the Kerrs. Bobrova/Soloviev have issues of their own. Who else is there? D/W and P/B are the top two likely.

herios, ptf is the supreme judge of all :laugh - we should know that by now.

Tigger

Final Flight
I also think that Vanessa and Paul are over rated. Not as much as some others, as they do have talent coming out of their fingernails, *but* they're not all that yet. I knew they'd win this and amazed the Judges kept it as close as they did as they are the Anointed Ones in Dance. I also believe that a great disservice was done to this team last season when not only was that fall on a required element not docked as much as it should have in the FS, but also got sent to Vancouver in spite of it.

You combine that w/all of the hype the Media has created around C/P and I'm worried about them. Yes, they're good, but they're still got a long way to go yet and...Sigh.

Kaitlyn and Andrew have the better programs, but they also perform the heck out of them. That's something Vanessa and Paul really don't have yet. W/P have a connection w/themselves and the audience and you get pulled in along w/them. This should have been their title.

Worlds should be rather interesting.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Overrated? The judges know a whole lot better why they keep putting them where they are. or are you the supreme judge of ice dancing?

So in that case I should watch every single post of yours to make sure you go with the judges EVERY single time. After all if I dont dare to disagree with the judges oh so unqualified one you had better not either, agreed. :rolleye: Not to mention the amount of politics and other factors that go into judges decisions in the sport of figure skating unless you have been living under a rock (based on most of your past posts this is the case anyhow though).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I also think that Vanessa and Paul are over rated. Not as much as some others, as they do have talent coming out of their fingernails, *but* they're not all that yet. I knew they'd win this and amazed the Judges kept it as close as they did as they are the Anointed Ones in Dance. I also believe that a great disservice was done to this team last season when not only was that fall on a required element not docked as much as it should have in the FS, but also got sent to Vancouver in spite of it.

You combine that w/all of the hype the Media has created around C/P and I'm worried about them. Yes, they're good, but they're still got a long way to go yet and...Sigh.

Kaitlyn and Andrew have the better programs, but they also perform the heck out of them. That's something Vanessa and Paul really don't have yet. W/P have a connection w/themselves and the audience and you get pulled in along w/them. This should have been their title.

Worlds should be rather interesting.

Excellent post. Good summary.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I wish instead of talking like dictatorial and corrupted judges, posters would explain their criticism and disagreement regarding the program and performances.

npa

Match Penalty
I think C-P is Skate Canada darlings - thats all.
If P-I had better marks, then R-H, who had greate speed and power and strong elements, but didnt kave such greate posture and lines, i cant understand, how C-P could have higher in component score, then W-P? Maybe W-P didnt have good politicl coach for SC?
Hope at WCh W-P will ghaev marks, wich this team deserve

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I completely disagree. I believe Weaver/Poje have the superior SD, but the FD of Crone/Poirier is superior in every way over that of Weaver/Poje IMO. Add to it that Crone/Poirier skate with more speed and better skating skills and transitions, and for me it's easy to understand why they are preferred by the judges over Weaver/Poje. Vanessa and Paul's FD is much more difficult in its complex design and they have produced the best results of any Canadian dance team this season, beating Weaver/Poje head-to-head twice already this season before this event took place. It was predictable that if Crone/Poirier delivered, the Canadian crown would be theirs. Of course Skate Canada is going to name the team who has the best shot at a World medal as the National Champions, just as any other nation would.

Last edited:

jan

On the Ice
I see C and P as 2 wonderful individual skaters but there is something odd about them together. There is a lot of separation and when they are close there is a difference in their backs and angle they present.

Tigger

Final Flight
If you want to believe that, then great.

I don't buy it. Things were even closer between the two last year going into the FD and there's just no way if the fall had been docked as it should have been, that Vanessa and Paul would have been in Second last year.

I'd be fine w/it *if* C/P had been clean, but they weren't. Neither were Kaitlyn and Andrew, but they also didn't have any major boo boo's either and considering how close it was last year...

As I said, I just don't buy it and that it really hurt Vanessa and Paul. Especially in the eyes of the fans. You might not want to believe it, but the perception is there now this team could do nothing but splat all over the ice surface and still win by a huge margin.

Which is not fair at all to Vanessa and Paul, but it's there and I'm afraid that damage can't be undone.