Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Mens LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    who is Rosie Dimanno?
    Not including Sawyer is the most stupid thing I read, his Lp is one of the best in the season, I wanna see it at Worlds!!
    I dont get the intent of the article - if she is bashing Skate Canada for their selection thats fine ( I think its wrong as well -the 3rd place should be decided by who does better at 4C's IMHO ) BUT why bash Sawyers program - to call it crude is just plain ignorant and she should know better if she is writing in a major national newspaper . If she had done any research , she would know that in the past ( although not this year ) Sawyer did have some reasonable results internationally and that was when his jumps were still not great . I agree with her point that Skate Canada have wimped out by just sticking to the results from Nationals and that it is potentially a serious mistake , but this immportant point is lost because of the diatribe about Sean.

I also dont agree with her point about the depth of Canadian Men's figure skating - its always tough in a Post Olympic year but dont forget that another potentially outstanding skater, Jeremy Ten is out and Andrei R. just plain had a bad Nationals. Whereas Skate Canada can indeed be called out for their selection process , I think they have done a good job in bringing along youg skaters

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by oakl0008 View Post
    I will have to find Siberia82's video. Sounds like it's great quality!
    No, not really , but it's better than nothing for people who are curious about Kurt & Tracy's commentary.

Someone should tell Dimanno that her writing style is loud and crude. She seems to be forgetting that Canada is relatively small population-wise, so we're not going to have 3 male skaters at one time who could potentially medal at Worlds. I guess podium finishes are all she cares about, but true figure skating fans know how to appreciate the "little guys" like Shawn Sawyer. (In his case, that term can be used both figuratively and literally. )

Quote Originally Posted by oakl0008 View Post
    After reading some of Dimanno`s articles since 2006
    Um, why? You should stop encouraging her! No need to waste your time on the filth she spews.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottadance View Post
    I dont get the intent of the article - if she is bashing Skate Canada for their selection thats fine ( I think its wrong as well -the 3rd place should be decided by who does better at 4C's IMHO ) BUT why bash Sawyers program - to call it crude is just plain ignorant and she should know better if she is writing in a major national newspaper . If she had done any research , she would know that in the past ( although not this year ) Sawyer did have some reasonable results internationally and that was when his jumps were still not great . I agree with her point that Skate Canada have wimped out by just sticking to the results from Nationals and that it is potentially a serious mistake , but this immportant point is lost because of the diatribe about Sean.

I also dont agree with her point about the depth of Canadian Men's figure skating - its always tough in a Post Olympic year but dont forget that another potentially outstanding skater, Jeremy Ten is out and Andrei R. just plain had a bad Nationals. Whereas Skate Canada can indeed be called out for their selection process , I think they have done a good job in bringing along youg skaters
    I can't believe that silly woman called Shawn's wonderfully intricate and exquisite program "crude." Just for that I hope he rocks at worlds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    All these points are just your opinions, contrary to those of qualified judges, national and international, as well as many many skating fans like myself. It ain't true just bacause you say so.
    You guys are weird. In one sentence you say "judges at nationals normally give too high marks", in another sentence you say "they are professionals." LOL. Judges in FS are famous for being wrong and biased. That's an old topic, which means if a judge gives this or that mark, it doesn't mean he is right, no matter how professional he is, if he is... What you called "your opinions" is the stuff that doesn't count as personal one. If I said "Chan is short, not handsome at all, if he is a man of your dream, your dream sucks, etc.," that would be personal stuff. But I am talking about his skating and scores.
    This is not about collecting points. Under any scoring system,
    Again contrudictions one after another: "it's not about collectiong points" and right after that "under any scoring system". What does it mean anyway if the current system IS about collection points, the only thing that guys like Chan and Lys succeeded to do? Oh yeah, they are not guilty, the system is guilty! In fact there are still things like interpretation and presentation that ARE supposed to be about music and telling the story on the ice. Chan was skating fast like an ant from one site to another, collecting points, and making elements that don't correspond any beat of music. His so-called emotions are not Phantom of the Opera, there is no flow, no spark, it's dull and boring. Change the music into Turandot, give him another costume and he will skate the same stuff exactly, without changing anything at all. Right, the system is guilty. They don't even use the word "artistism" nowdays! So, let's do this: cancel the music, everyone is in a training suit, have a technical mark and the second mark is only about transitions and skating skills. That is all. Who needs "interpretation" considering how funnily it is judged? The horrible future of FS where guys like Pat and Lys are bringing us to. Yes, I am the one who doesn't want to go there. I do miss programs where EVERY move of arms, legs, face expressions, every elements starts and finishes with the music, etc. Nobody among top leaders in men's FS can do it now, except Dai. He is the only one who can tell the story on the ice. Btw, Chan's jumps were not that perfect as they were scored, with all that insecured landings and funny body positions.
    Since you're asking rhetorical questions to be sarcastic, the answer is that you don't to have watch a skater you dispise
    Huh? And how esle am I supposed to watch the US and Canadian nationals? Euro stuff I will watch on the channel where commentators are more respectful to audience and skaters. Oh, wait! I got it. They give a chance to people to enjoy the performance, its meaning and artisty, while the NA TV folks just tell you about points!

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Assuming I'm not already on your Ignore List, Tigger, I did find confirmation that Joey is the first Newfoundland skater to medal at a senior-level Canadian Championships: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...sell-joey.html

Custom Title
    You are too exagerating, let's talk. To compare Patrick Chan with Lysacek?! To say Patrick doesn't have musicality at all?! Where is your base? The arguement like this doesn't have a base. Patrick happened to be a superior technician with a considerably good artistic abilities, though his artistry is yet to be improved more.

One judge happened to feel Patrick was perfect in IN, big deal, where you probably would have given him 0 if you were the judge. That is why there were 8 judges. The final result actually didn't count 8.75 which was the lowest, and 10.0 which was the highest.

If you are so into artistic aspect of figure skating and only Dai would satisfy you, by all means, cheer for him louder. But skaters who have Patrick Chan's repertoire are going to win no matter you like it or not.

Banned
    I saw Chan has PLENTY of arm movements. And I don't consider making a funny face, or a "constipation" face look, like most skaters do, as a "facial expression" at all.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I don't know why some papers feel the need to have writers whose job it is to find reasons to just shred whoever it is they're writing about..Oh, I know they think stirring up controversy sells papers, but really ,it ought to have some credible basis. To call Shawn's program crude is just laughable.

There is some truth in Di Manno's article (like the sometimes poor choices Skate Canada has made ),but she goes so over the top in much of it , that the few kernels of wheat it contains will be discarded with the bushel of chaff by most rational readers.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 01-25-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Rinkside
    Thank you, thank you siberia82 for the video of Patrick - it is wonderful. I have been watching skating since childhood (I remember watching Donald Jackson land the first triple lutz) and skating has come a long way in that time. The one thing that I miss is sitting comfortably watching programmes and judging the skaters on their content and expressiveness. I don't remember sitting on the edge of my seat hoping no one would fall. Now with the increased difficulty in content I am sometimes so nervous that I wait for the replay after I already know the worst lol! I think this is one of the first times I have watched Patrick live that I have been relaxed - especially after the 3a. He just seemed so comfortable and effortless out there that it didn't seem possible he would land anywhere except his feet!

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I had to break off to walk my dogs, but I wanted to add that DiManno's pretty blind if she sees no promise beyond Patrick. Sure , no one else is going to be Patrick , but we have a number of skaters coming up with their own unique set of skills and talents who definitely will be worthy representatives.

If Shawn delivers that well at world's he should have a creditable finish.

Kevin has made great strides..he just needs to keep working as he has been, and maybe involve a sports psychologist as well. ( I just feel there may be a weakness in JM's coaching that leaves her skaters vulnerable on the mental / emotional front..)

There's a lot of excellence in Joey's skating..I don't know how far he can progress with his jumps..but I certainly wouldn't write him off after he's just made enough progress to win a national medal.

Elladj seems to be on his way back ( my goodness, his jumps can be beautiful)..he's musical and I don't think we've had a skater who can command the ice while making such a warm connection with the audience since Kurt.

Liam made a great transition. He's musical in a different way than Elladj...his jumps were fine and I love his feet..

Jeremy is injured but he had great programs this year,and once healed and jumping , is a very expressive skater..

Ian Martinez was skating injured , so this competition was not really representative of his abilities.

Ronald Lam showed a lot of potential...just needs to keep going and maybe an upgrade to his programs and costumes.

Makes you wonder what the woman was smoking...

Edit : Oops! I forgot Rogozine..but I just forgot him while typing.. I didn't disregard him....He has a lot of promise..just needs to project more character. A good choreographer can start that process, no question.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 01-25-2011 at 05:40 PM.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    Someone should tell Dimanno that her writing style is loud and crude.
    heh. You are actually rather right. My opinion isn't a knee-jerk reaction to her harsh words for Sawyer, but I do find DiManno's writing to be overly dramatic, negative, and a little crude. Even in the articles where she is saying something positive about someone, her tone sounds condescending and sneering, as if she's daring someone to disagree with her. I don't even mean to bash her, either. Once upon a time, long ago, I found a piece by her that I agreed with, but I don't remember what it was about. As I said, it was a long time ago.

I don't know how she could possibly find Sawyer's LP "crude", and by extension, the taste of all those who gave him a standing ovation "crude" as well. It was full of joy and expression that wasn't contrived or forced. There were unique elements to his program that weren't obviously for the main intention of point-gathering. Is it possibly a "waste of a spot" in the sense that it's not an investment in a future contender? It's debatable. Younger skaters can learn a lot from their more experienced peers (such as not giving up on yourself), and there are more competitions than just Worlds to look forward to (e.g. 4CC). I don't like the calculated methodologies that Skate Canada has used in the past to determine who gets to go to big events (e.g. when Emanuel Sandhu got 2nd at Canadian Nationals when he was 18 but wasn't sent to the Olympics...because he was too young or because he didn't participate in the GP, or something like that. Yes, he may have used this too many times as his excuse for his nerves in subsequent years, but...) I believe that skaters should be assigned to events as they earn their spots. Shawn Sawyer earned his spot to Worlds this year.

Like others, I would like the third spot to be determined by 4CC. I like Joey, but I want Kevin Reynolds to be given another chance considering that he does normally have stronger performances and the third men's spot for Canada at this year's Worlds is partly due to him, correct me if I'm wrong.

All things considered, I do not know what point DiManno's article has. It is just useless complaining. Who would she rather give the two remaining spots to, after Chan? Whatever.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    heh. You are actually rather right. My opinion isn't a knee-jerk reaction to her harsh words for Sawyer, but I do find DiManno's writing to be overly dramatic, negative, and a little crude. Even in the articles where she is saying something positive about someone, her tone sounds condescending and sneering, as if she's daring someone to disagree with her. I don't even mean to bash her, either. Once upon a time, long ago, I found a piece by her that I agreed with, but I don't remember what it was about. As I said, it was a long time ago.

I don't know how she could possibly find Sawyer's LP "crude", and by extension, the taste of all those who gave him a standing ovation "crude" as well. It was full of joy and expression that wasn't contrived or forced. There were unique elements to his program that weren't obviously for the main intention of point-gathering. Is it possibly a "waste of a spot" in the sense that it's not an investment in a future contender? It's debatable. Younger skaters can learn a lot from their more experienced peers (such as not giving up on yourself), and there are more competitions than just Worlds to look forward to (e.g. 4CC). I don't like the calculated methodologies that Skate Canada has used in the past to determine who gets to go to big events (e.g. when Emanuel Sandhu got 2nd at Canadian Nationals when he was 18 but wasn't sent to the Olympics...because he was too young or because he didn't participate in the GP, or something like that. Yes, he may have used this too many times as his excuse for his nerves in subsequent years, but...) I believe that skaters should be assigned to events as they earn their spots. Shawn Sawyer earned his spot to Worlds this year.

Like others, I would like the third spot to be determined by 4CC. I like Joey, but I want Kevin Reynolds to be given another chance considering that he does normally have stronger performances and the third men's spot for Canada at this year's Worlds is partly due to him, correct me if I'm wrong.

All things considered, I do not know what point DiManno's article has. It is just useless complaining. Who would she rather give the two remaining spots to, after Chan? Whatever.
    I agree - useless complaining. It was like she was insisting on finding something different to say about nationals and really forced the issue. Canada has arguably the best men's skater in the world and some other very nice talents. Not bad - especially for the year right after an Olympics when the country had two skating medals.

Talk about a mountain out of a mole hill. But especially, it was too bad that she chose the wrong guy to pick on.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I agree - useless complaining. It was like she was insisting on finding something different to say about nationals and really forced the issue. Canada has arguably the best men's skater in the world and some other very nice talents. Not bad - especially for the year right after an Olympics when the country had two skating medals.

Talk about a mountain out of a mole hill. But especially, it was too bad that she chose the wrong guy to pick on.
    No kidding! And not just a mole hill: she made an event that we should celebrate...into something to be grumpy about?

But I do want to give credit to DiManno over this paragraph, which I found when I re-read her article just now:

“When I said I was coming back, it was frowned upon,” Sawyer revealed, after staking claim to silver. “They thought I made a good decision to go. A lot of people did.”

Apart from providing an intriguing glimpse into the machinations of the Skate Canada politburo — an organization with a long history of big-footing athletes and promoting favourites over those who’ve earned their ranking on the ice — Sawyer’s success represents a double-edged sword: He may have had the skate of his life, but he’s not an athlete to build on and his Tokyo inclusion, while a nice personal story, is pretty much a waste in a year when Canada has qualified three spots for men at worlds.
    And that's exactly the debate! If Skate Canada does not include Sawyer on the Worlds team this year, it's "playing favourites" for the sake of presumed future investments rather than giving the spot to a skater (Sawyer) who deserves it. I want skaters, no matter how old or young they are, to be given the passes to big competitions that they earned on the ice. Good on Rosie for pointing out this issue, at the least...

And to add, I don't get why it's a "waste" in the context of Canada having three spots. If Canada only had two spots, there is a stronger case for giving one spot to someone who has the highest likelihood of clinching a medal (i.e. Chan) and the other spot to a future investment. Canada having three spots means that we can do both of the above and give the third spot to the second-best skater...who has the potential to earn a second medal for Canada if he skates wonderfully.
    Last edited by prettykeys; 01-25-2011 at 07:14 PM.

On the Ice
    Enjoy great pictures from Canadians.

http://www.justinechiu.com/2011/canadians-mens-sp/

Custom Title
    Thanks, goose.

But...... what? No Shawn Sawyer in a ripped T?

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast