Mens LP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Mens LP

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Other than Chan's predictably ridiculous over the top score it was a very enjoyable event. Chan's performance, outrageous score notwithstanding, was excellent of course. Sawyer had the performance of his life, it was great to see. Russel making the podium and possibly the World team was a great moment for him too. Reynolds came back with a decent effort, and Balde shows promise as well.

evangeline

Record Breaker
It's actually not very dramatic. The fact is that in this and other sports, the vast majority of the time people who participate follow the rules with integrity. Listen to Jean Senft, one of the judges at this very competition and also the judge who blew the whistle on vote trading at the 1998 Olympics. Despite what she went through and saw, she says, "I really believe that 99.9 percent of judges are totally honest. It's just that tiny percentage who are not that you have to worry about." Fans who expect results to be skewed to their own misgivings instead of what actually happened are going to be frequently disappointed. They don't deserve to enjoy it, and most of the time, they won't.

That's interesting, because Patrick Ibens claims that the situation is completely the opposite.

Scout

Final Flight
Had Patrick walked on water, some people would ridicule him for not kowing how to swim.
QUOTE]

Well said!

What a great ending to a great Canadians Championships! Beyond thrilled for Patrick, Shawn and Joey. Congrats to all three!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think Reynolds should be sent to Worlds instead of Russel or atleast have a skateoff at 4CCs. The CSA said they would consider more than just Nationals results so we will see if they are true to their word. I actually like Russel more than Reynolds but realistically.....

emma

Record Breaker
i was really upset with what seemed to me like high scores for Chan earlier in the season with falls. Then lot's of people went through the rules and protocols and explained most of the points, which led me to question some of the 'system." then others explained the pros and cons of the system and my head sort of imploded. But my point now: Chan could get 400 for that program as far as I'm concerned. I mean, really, who cares??? He so totally won and so totally skated so great and so much better than ever before. I can't stop thinking about how great it was.

Tigger

Final Flight
Am I right about Joey and this being the first Senior Medal at Cdns of any colour for a Newfie skater?

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
It's actually not very dramatic.

Well, "you do not deserve to enjoy this sport that thousands of athletes risk life and limb for" was certainly a bit dramatic.

Fans who expect results to be skewed to their own misgivings instead of what actually happened are going to be frequently disappointed.

OK, that attitude is really way out of line. People are going to disagree regarding sports, especially one that is judged like figure skating. Many people here are knowledgeable enough about this sport to form their own opinions based on what actually happened and what they know about how the skating world operates.

And yes, nationals scores are often inflated. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

They don't deserve to enjoy it, and most of the time, they won't.

From my perspective, it's people who act like their opinions are facts are the ones who don't deserve to enjoy it. And, even if you're stating a fact, there's a difference between sharing it and being insulting.

Last edited:

katia

On the Ice
MrScroogeMCDuck

So if Xs view on Chan do not agree with the Chan's placement by majority of judges you claim than X's opinions are facts and all other people's facts are opinions, right?

emma

Record Breaker
I'm obsessively waiting for Youtube heaven (you know, when Youtube has Shawn's and Patrick's Lps available)....have they been shown on CBC yet???? Anyway posting them to Youtube???

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Nobody can kill your buzz. It's yours to own and to enjoy. They are constantly killing their own buzz, day in and day out. That, we can't do much about.

True that. You're clearly more rational than I.

Okay, ladies and germs. It's protocol time - and let me just say the last time figure skating excited me this much was the moment Virtue/Moir won the Olympic Free Dance. Truthfully, I'm beginning to understand what janetfan says when he says that as long as the rankings are correct, the scoring doesn't mean too much to him. Of course, the rankings come from the scoring. Had Chan had a flawed performance, he might have robbed Sawyer of the championship. Now no one thinks he robbed Sawyer, and like emma says, it's really hard to get THAT worked up when the reward of doing so is trying to diminish a near-legendary skate.

Up first is PChiddy himself.

Flaws first: no level four step-sequence; two level three spins. So he can improve his base value (which was 82.06). He got a glaring ONE goe of 0. Out of 104 grades (eight judges, 13 elements).

He got straight threes for his final step sequence. 34 "3"s and 59 "2"s. Judge 7 clearly wasn't drinking the Chan Kool-Aid (he prefered Chan Vitamin Water), giving him 4 "1s" and 1 "0." Intriguingly, that judge (despite being the lowest TES wise) actually gave him higher PCS than two others.

Chan got two tens, one for performance/execution and one for interpretation - both from the same judge.

Sawyer's second 3F was UR'ed. Only two "3"s (for spins, of course). Base value was 66.23, but his spins were all level four.

Reynolds PCS were lower than Balde's! Blade would've beaten Reynolds were it not for his 3A (and the wierd freak occurence of Reynolds landing two)

evangeline

Record Breaker
MrScroogeMCDuck

So if Xs view on Chan do not agree with the Chan's placement by majority of judges you claim than X's opinions are facts and all other people's facts are opinions, right?

I think you are straw-manning the (rather reasonable, I would think) point MrScroogeMcDuck is trying to make.

Figure skating is inherently a subjective sport--isn't the point of having a board like this is to hash out our differing opinions over this sport?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
1st place and 2nd place gap, whooping 55 points, lol. Oh Patrick, soooooo totally over scored!

Not that it matters to me. Just curious - what do you base your LOL overscore on? Gap over 2nd place is not a basis to judge the fairness of scores.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
I'm obsessively waiting for Youtube heaven (you know, when Youtube has Shawn's and Patrick's Lps available)....have they been shown on CBC yet???? Anyway posting them to Youtube???

OK, dumb question perhaps, but while I was watching the paid US feed of nationals on icenetwork, I was watching a stream on another site (which no longer has the link up so I can't check it) that I thought was from the CBC. (Yes, I had two competitions going on at the same time. I love this sport, what can I say.) The CBC showed it live, right? I ask this because the Canadian feed I had was definitely live, yet more than one person (I think) has asked if the CBC has shown it yet, so I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
ImaginaryPogue, you rock! I'm, ofcourse, still delirous and really wishing that a) I had some tequila, and b) didn't have to work tomorrow!

evangeline

Record Breaker
Not that it matters to me. Just curious - what do you base your LOL overscore on? Gap over 2nd place is not a basis to judge the fairness of scores.

I believe jettasian was being facetious. He normally is very supportive of Patrick (at least, he was one of the few brave souls who was defending Patrick during Skate Canada).