Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Mens LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    It's actually not very dramatic.
    Well, "you do not deserve to enjoy this sport that thousands of athletes risk life and limb for" was certainly a bit dramatic.

Fans who expect results to be skewed to their own misgivings instead of what actually happened are going to be frequently disappointed.
    OK, that attitude is really way out of line. People are going to disagree regarding sports, especially one that is judged like figure skating. Many people here are knowledgeable enough about this sport to form their own opinions based on what actually happened and what they know about how the skating world operates.

And yes, nationals scores are often inflated. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

They don't deserve to enjoy it, and most of the time, they won't.
    From my perspective, it's people who act like their opinions are facts are the ones who don't deserve to enjoy it. And, even if you're stating a fact, there's a difference between sharing it and being insulting.
    Last edited by MrScroogeMcDuck; 01-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Custom Title
    MrScroogeMCDuck

So if Xs view on Chan do not agree with the Chan's placement by majority of judges you claim than X's opinions are facts and all other people's facts are opinions, right?

Custom Title
    I'm obsessively waiting for Youtube heaven (you know, when Youtube has Shawn's and Patrick's Lps available)....have they been shown on CBC yet???? Anyway posting them to Youtube???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Nobody can kill your buzz. It's yours to own and to enjoy. They are constantly killing their own buzz, day in and day out. That, we can't do much about.
    True that. You're clearly more rational than I.

Okay, ladies and germs. It's protocol time - and let me just say the last time figure skating excited me this much was the moment Virtue/Moir won the Olympic Free Dance. Truthfully, I'm beginning to understand what janetfan says when he says that as long as the rankings are correct, the scoring doesn't mean too much to him. Of course, the rankings come from the scoring. Had Chan had a flawed performance, he might have robbed Sawyer of the championship. Now no one thinks he robbed Sawyer, and like emma says, it's really hard to get THAT worked up when the reward of doing so is trying to diminish a near-legendary skate.

Up first is PChiddy himself.

Flaws first: no level four step-sequence; two level three spins. So he can improve his base value (which was 82.06). He got a glaring ONE goe of 0. Out of 104 grades (eight judges, 13 elements).

He got straight threes for his final step sequence. 34 "3"s and 59 "2"s. Judge 7 clearly wasn't drinking the Chan Kool-Aid (he prefered Chan Vitamin Water), giving him 4 "1s" and 1 "0." Intriguingly, that judge (despite being the lowest TES wise) actually gave him higher PCS than two others.

Chan got two tens, one for performance/execution and one for interpretation - both from the same judge.

Sawyer's second 3F was UR'ed. Only two "3"s (for spins, of course). Base value was 66.23, but his spins were all level four.

Reynolds PCS were lower than Balde's! Blade would've beaten Reynolds were it not for his 3A (and the wierd freak occurence of Reynolds landing two)

Banned
    1st place and 2nd place gap, whooping 55 points, lol. Oh Patrick, soooooo totally over scored!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katia View Post
    MrScroogeMCDuck

So if Xs view on Chan do not agree with the Chan's placement by majority of judges you claim than X's opinions are facts and all other people's facts are opinions, right?
    I think you are straw-manning the (rather reasonable, I would think) point MrScroogeMcDuck is trying to make.

Figure skating is inherently a subjective sport--isn't the point of having a board like this is to hash out our differing opinions over this sport?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    1st place and 2nd place gap, whooping 55 points, lol. Oh Patrick, soooooo totally over scored!
    Not that it matters to me. Just curious - what do you base your LOL overscore on? Gap over 2nd place is not a basis to judge the fairness of scores.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I'm obsessively waiting for Youtube heaven (you know, when Youtube has Shawn's and Patrick's Lps available)....have they been shown on CBC yet???? Anyway posting them to Youtube???
    OK, dumb question perhaps, but while I was watching the paid US feed of nationals on icenetwork, I was watching a stream on another site (which no longer has the link up so I can't check it) that I thought was from the CBC. (Yes, I had two competitions going on at the same time. I love this sport, what can I say.) The CBC showed it live, right? I ask this because the Canadian feed I had was definitely live, yet more than one person (I think) has asked if the CBC has shown it yet, so I'm a bit confused.
    Last edited by MrScroogeMcDuck; 01-23-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Custom Title
    ImaginaryPogue, you rock! I'm, ofcourse, still delirous and really wishing that a) I had some tequila, and b) didn't have to work tomorrow!

Custom Title
    Not that it matters to me. Just curious - what do you base your LOL overscore on? Gap over 2nd place is not a basis to judge the fairness of scores.
    I believe jettasian was being facetious. He normally is very supportive of Patrick (at least, he was one of the few brave souls who was defending Patrick during Skate Canada).

Banned
    I was being sarcastic. I don't know why Chan always gets signle out as overscored etc. Based on what I read, Joey Russel's over scored as well right?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MrScroogeMcDuck View Post
    OK, dumb question perhaps, but while I was watching the paid US feed of nationals on icenetwork, I was watching a stream on another site that I thought was from the CBC. (Yes, I had two competitions going on at the same time. I love this sport, what can I say.) Was it the CBC? I ask this because the Canadian feed I had was definitely live, yet more than one person (I think) has asked if the CBC has shown it yet, so I'm a bit confused.
    snowflake posted a link to some live radio show that was streaming the final flight (maybe streaming earlier, but I don't know). Anyway, someone somewhere in the thread mentioned that CBC tv was showing some of the men's but with delay (I guess because of the time differences in Canada). So, I'm just hoping that the tv version is clear and down/up-loadable to youtube.

Custom Title
    The thing that bothers me is the 10 for interpretation. Was that really the perfect interpretation? Could no-one have done it better?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I believe jettasian was being facetious. He normally is very supportive of Patrick (at least, he was one of the few brave souls who was defending Patrick during Skate Canada).
    Hahaha. This is our night and Chan supporters are having too much fun. The target of mocking can get confused because usually it's almost always aimed at Patrick by his haters. Some of us are dilariously out of character!

Custom Title
    Hahaha. This is our night and Chan supporters are having too much fun.
    And you certainly should be enjoying it! Chan did an amazing job tonight.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast