Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Mens LP

Custom Title
    Thank you, goose! Great quality photos!

Does Chan always wear grey boots? Black boots will be so much better. Forais's and Russell's costumes are lady-like.:p Does anyone think that Reynolds face looks like Rachael Flatt's (not in this pic)?
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 01-25-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Custom Title
    thanks for the great videos, siberia82! and thanks for the great photos, goose!!!!

skating philosopher
    I e-mailed Ms. Dimanno and wrote the following response:

Dear Ms. DiManno,
    I came across your column on a figure skating board I read regularly called Golden Skate. I am a figure skating fan from the U.S. (Washington state)

I write first to respectfully disagree with your premise.

1.) I think some would agree with this line: "Apart from providing an intriguing glimpse into the machinations of the Skate Canada politburo — an organization with a long history of big-footing athletes and promoting favourites over those who’ve earned their ranking on the ice." that Skate Canada does like to play political favorites. Some believe that giving Patrick Chan a 197 -- even for that fantastic program of his -- is an example of this. Some argue that Patrick Chan winning Skate Canada despite falling four times may also be an example of this. Finally many question why Skate Canada has deemed Crone and Poirier as its No. 1 team (of course while Virtue and Moir are out) over Weaver and Poje despite how either team does.

2.) But the connecting point is flawed: "Sawyer’s success represents a double-edged sword: He may have had the skate of his life, but he’s not an athlete to build on and his Tokyo inclusion, while a nice personal story, is pretty much a waste in a year when Canada has qualified three spots for men at worlds. First of all, if Shawn skates like that on Toyko, he could easily be in the top 10 maybe even sneak into the final group. I believe he (and Joey Russell) will play a "build on" role by keeping those three spots for 2012. Plus among skating fans in the U.S. Sawyer is respected for his beautiful artistry, his great spins and his willing to be creative. Skating fiends are THRILLED that Sawyer is going rather than Reynolds because he offers the full package, not just the jumps. And I'm sorry, how can you call a performance where he did EIGHT triples a waste? That's a good night for most male skaters!

3.) You say: "Sawyer is a throw-back skater. His Alice in Wonderland routine went over huge with the Memorial Centre audience. That’s because it is loud, even crude — and donning a giant Mad Hatter lid afterwards didn’t help — a show number rather than the stuff of serious competition." Shawn is a big breath of fresh air among skating enthusiasts because he doesn't just do the usual COP-friendly but programs everyone else does. It takes great skill to do a program like Shawn's. I don't think I could jump eight times up in the air and run around while still staying in character. Yes figure skating is a sport, but it's also an art. And during his skate Shawn managed to show both. Here's what popular figure skating blogger Aaron Harris stated about Sawyer before the championships: "The only skate close to Chan artistically is Shawn Sawyer. Armed with an amazingly choreographed free skate to "Alice in Wonderland," Shawn continues to struggle with consistency. If he can get his jumps in order he could contend with the best."

I complain sometimes that Canadian figure skating analysts tend to be too apologetic when it comes to their own skaters, I think you've gone too much in the other direction. Shawn Sawyer should not be seen as a hopeless case. There are so many examples of U.S. skaters who made a comeback after a few down years (Todd Eldredge and Alissa Czisny) I am never quick to say that one is has-been or otherwise.

Finally, I would like to point out that you may have an factual error in your column. You say:
    "Yeah, yeah, that jumping savant Nam Nguyen is out there, Mini-Me Showman. But he’s 12 years old and won’t even be age-eligible for Sochi, assuming the kid doesn’t flame out by then."

According to Nam's website his birthday is May 20, 1998. The current ISU rules (Rule 108, Section 2a) states : In ISU Senior Championships and the Olympic Winter Games only Skaters may compete who have reached at least the age of fifteen (15) before July 1st preceding these Events.

If the birthday is correct (and of course I do understand that not everything on the Internet is inaccurate) he would turn 15 on May 20, 2013. That would be before the July 1 preceding the 2014 Sochi Olympics. So that would qualify him to enter the Olympics. Not only that, Nam also would have a shot at break Dick Button (U.S. 1948 Olympic Gold Medalist) record as young Olympic champion (18).

Thank you for reading my thoughts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Where is your base?
    In his skating of course. Where else.
    But skaters who have Patrick Chan's repertoire are going to win no matter you like it or not.
    True! With his repertoire "I-fell-4-times" and scores of the winner, nothing else matter, including the fact that TV companies stopped buying broadcasting rights because with the current judging system people don't understand what is going on and they don't want to watch the FS stuff. Even the Swiss Bern with its fridge-icerink was the only one who agreed to accept Europeans. Surely, nothing of this matter!

Custom Title
    ^^^^^^^^^

At a time when Patrick Chan has just accomplished the amazing feat of flawlessly performing a rousing program of unprecedented technical prowess, when he has just generated a buzz beyond the skating world to rekindle the enthusiasm of casual and even non fans of skating, when he has just inspired countless current and future skaters and fans, when the sport of skating is again gaining attention with a potential superstar and is infused with a new energy in anticipation of exciting competition as a challenge notice has just been served to all the talented top men, Patrick Chan is accused of being the symbol of all that is wrong with skating and of single handedly bringing down the sport?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine spewing this kind of crap at Takahashi right after his WC win.

Patrick Chan is here and he has made history. Deal with it.

Attempts to turn reality into its opposite are futile, pathetic and laughable.

Thanks for the laughs!
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-26-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmart View Post
    Thank you, thank you siberia82 for the video of Patrick - it is wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    thanks for the great videos, siberia82!
    You're very welcome! I'm relieved that a couple of people are extremely forgiving of the not-so-clear graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    But...... what? No Shawn Sawyer in a ripped T?
    I found one! Hubba hubba hubba. http://www.daylife.com/photo/01DecIP...q=shawn+sawyer

On the Ice
    I find it hilarious how Patrick Chan "haters" are trying to diminish what he accomplished at Canadians. I've read everything, from "he's not musical enough and doesn't interpret every beat of the music through his facial expressions" to "he won't be able to repeat this at Worlds", and bringing back the fact that he won Skate Canada with falls.

I am really anxious to see how this performance will affect the other skaters, what strategy they will use to try to beat him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I had to break off to walk my dogs, but I wanted to add that DiManno's pretty blind if she sees no promise beyond Patrick. Sure , no one else is going to be Patrick , but we have a number of skaters coming up with their own unique set of skills and talents who definitely will be worthy representatives.

If Shawn delivers that well at world's he should have a creditable finish.

Kevin has made great strides..he just needs to keep working as he has been, and maybe involve a sports psychologist as well. ( I just feel there may be a weakness in JM's coaching that leaves her skaters vulnerable on the mental / emotional front..)

There's a lot of excellence in Joey's skating..I don't know how far he can progress with his jumps..but I certainly wouldn't write him off after he's just made enough progress to win a national medal.

Elladj seems to be on his way back ( my goodness, his jumps can be beautiful)..he's musical and I don't think we've had a skater who can command the ice while making such a warm connection with the audience since Kurt.

Liam made a great transition. He's musical in a different way than Elladj...his jumps were fine and I love his feet..

Jeremy is injured but he had great programs this year,and once healed and jumping , is a very expressive skater..

Ian Martinez was skating injured , so this competition was not really representative of his abilities.

Ronald Lam showed a lot of potential...just needs to keep going and maybe an upgrade to his programs and costumes.

Makes you wonder what the woman was smoking...

Edit : Oops! I forgot Rogozine..but I just forgot him while typing.. I didn't disregard him....He has a lot of promise..just needs to project more character. A good choreographer can start that process, no question.
    I love all of your thoughts on this final flight - it really was so, so exciting. Thanks again Canadian men for a very memorable championship!!!!!!!

ETA oops - final flight+

Custom Title
    Photo of the week: Shawn Sawyer's moment of delirium

Also one of Patrick with his lion among The week's most amusing.

This is my second favorite on ice gift Patrick's ever received. Nothing beats the Belief balloon at the Olympics Gala. The Universe had the coolest way of sending him the message.

I also loved the way he, at K&C after SP at GPF, put his arm around the big stuffed bear with a pink ribon and patted her head. I LOL at him getting "the girl" he was trying to impress in Take Five!
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-26-2011 at 01:29 PM.

I think the commentary on that picture of Shawn was pretty rude.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think the commentary on that picture of Shawn was pretty rude.
    These are clueless people who think it's cool to make fun of people. In a way that's their job. The joke is on them when they ridicule Shawn's Mad Hat which is exactly what it's supposed to be. The description of Patrick's expression is so off too as they only know the usual cliches.

I just enjoy the pictures as they are amusing.

eta Maybe we should do our own captioning.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-26-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    For those of who liked Shawn's Canadians Spotlight fluff on the Skatebuzz website, I made a screen recording of it so that you can save the vid on to your computer : http://www.mediafire.com/?1k9k1ldg15gn0l0

Thanks Mrs. P. I also wrote a complaint to the paper.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    1.) I think some would agree with this line: "Apart from providing an intriguing glimpse into the machinations of the Skate Canada politburo — an organization with a long history of big-footing athletes and promoting favourites over those who’ve earned their ranking on the ice." that Skate Canada does like to play political favorites. Some believe that giving Patrick Chan a 197 -- even for that fantastic program of his -- is an example of this. Some argue that Patrick Chan winning Skate Canada despite falling four times may also be an example of this. Finally many question why Skate Canada has deemed Crone and Poirier as its No. 1 team (of course while Virtue and Moir are out) over Weaver and Poje despite how either team does.
    I don't oppose your entire point in your email, Mrs. P. With your defending Shawn Sawyer ardently, I have no problem. No defending Reynolds from you even if DiManno wrote about him longer with more harsh words. Well, everyone has their favorites.

I just wonder why you have to bring Chan's score 197 and 4 falls at SC here. You may agree with 'some' you say? Is it relevant when you try to reason why Sawyer is a great skater and a good choice for worlds?

Sorry I have not seen Sawyer's performances at 2011 Nats (I will watch... I am sure he was great) but have been seeing Chan's over and over. If anyone argues that Chan's score was given because he is always a political favorite and says again the muliple falls in the past, well, I feel a little bothered. Now it seems so trivial.

I don't understand what DiManno means by mentioning 'promoting favourites over those who’ve earned their ranking on the ice.' Maybe my lack of English. It seems like I don't resent her column as much as some people would... I have definitely read more biased, absurd articles than this. Don't mean DiManno's is well written.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    the amazing feat of flawlessly performing a rousing program

The pashionless frigid program stirs you up? Time for the party, man!

You are right in one thing- Pat is the best direct product of the current judging system and everything what is wrong with it. The more people talk about it, including on forums, the more chances we have that FS will get its artistism, real beaury + all tech stuff back. I do hope for the best.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast