The Junior Event (as seen on computer) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Junior Event (as seen on computer)

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Who won?

Never mind, I tracked down the answer. If I am not mistaken, Courtney Hicks FS score would have served her well on the senior level.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Courtney was the class of the field again tonight even with a fall. She skates with such command and with poise of a much older skater. I see big things for her. They better send her to Junior Worlds now.

Now that it's over, how many will stay with figure skating?

The podium finishers will more than likely stick around for a while. I'm hoping we do not lose Ashley Caine to early retirement.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just barely managed to watch the Junior Ladies SPs & FSs late last night before I fell asleep exhausted.

To tell the honest truth I wasn't really impressed with any of them, sorry to say. :( Yes, Courtney Hicks won and she does have the jumps, but she really does need to work on her PCS/presentation/et al. Between her & Agnes Zawadzki, I'd predict the latter as a future champion based on the jumps alone, but they BOTH still need to work on the PCS part.

It's simply a matter of whomever wants it more. ;)

Here's hoping I get a chance to watch the Junior Mens & Pairs. :)

I agree. There is a lack of grandeur in the performances of these skaters including Courtney. But then performance is not judged so much in CoP as it was in 6.0. The PC scores are about the layout of the program more than the actual skate of the performer.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I agree. There is a lack of grandeur in the performances of these skaters including Courtney. But then performance is not judged so much in CoP as it was in 6.0. The PC scores are about the layout of the program more than the actual skate of the performer.

That's typical of Juniors, even under 6.0. They are (nationally) Juniors for a reason and that is mostly that they are not ready to be Senior (in other words, don't have the presentation skills of a Senior level skater). It used to be (under 6.0) that you were 13-15 and in Juniors with as many 3's as you could do (all up to Lutz if at all possible) and once they were consistent, you worked on presentation and moved up to Seniors.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Now that it's over, how many will stay with figure skating?

The podium finishers will more than likely stick around for a while. I'm hoping we do not lose Ashley Caine to early retirement.

I feel the same way about Ashley, but at somepoint she may end up picking either singles or pairs. And I really hope Nina Jiang continues to skate after this season, she's had a rough year, but there are still so many great things about her skating, I would be very sad if she gave up at age 13.

yangjie

On the Ice
Hicks for sure. But she and Dinh both skate early in the final flight, while Kulgeyko skates last so we could be in for some upsets.

just saw the result and wow, who is hicks?? i just heard her name first time! can she go to the jr world or the world? how old is she??

I feel the same way about Ashley, but at somepoint she may end up picking either singles or pairs. And I really hope Nina Jiang continues to skate after this season, she's had a rough year, but there are still so many great things about her skating, I would be very sad if she gave up at age 13.
Interesting you mentioned Jiang. I liked her too. However 13 is not a retirement age. mentioning the age, would be important for retiring. How old is Ashley?

Pairs skaters have a demanding Tech to cope with. Much more, imo, than Singles. Pairs skating requires every bit of tech that singles have plus the acrobatic lifts. That's not an easy "pick".

mskater93

Record Breaker
just saw the result and wow, who is hicks?? i just heard her name first time! can she go to the jr world or the world? how old is she??

Hicks is 15, skates with Mr. Nicks
Dinh is 14 (I think she needs to fix her head on her jumps - she does a "turtle neck" kind of thing on her jumps with is bothersome to watch, but that's MHO)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I just barely managed to watch the Junior Ladies SPs & FSs late last night before I fell asleep exhausted.

To tell the honest truth I wasn't really impressed with any of them, sorry to say. :( Yes, Courtney Hicks won and she does have the jumps, but she really does need to work on her PCS/presentation/et al. Between her & Agnes Zawadzki, I'd predict the latter as a future champion based on the jumps alone, but they BOTH still need to work on the PCS part.

It's simply a matter of whomever wants it more. ;)

Here's hoping I get a chance to watch the Junior Mens & Pairs. :)

I kind of agree Nadine. I watched Courtney Hicks' SP after reading Phil Hersh's raving column and I wasn't blown away. Impressed sure but I didn't get her huge score. I know she's barely 15 so it's a matter of seeing how she progresses. For now I prefer Agnes and Christina and they're not THAT much younger.

But we'll see maybe I'll eat my words when Hicks is world champ one day.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Interesting you mentioned Jiang. I liked her too. However 13 is not a retirement age. mentioning the age, would be important for retiring. How old is Ashley?

Pairs skaters have a demanding Tech to cope with. Much more, imo, than Singles. Pairs skating requires every bit of tech that singles have plus the acrobatic lifts. That's not an easy "pick".

Ashley is 15. She's quite good in pairs but her height could be an issue, her current partner is 6'2", but she comes off as quite tall.

As for Nina, my fear is more that she would give up skating to be a "normal" teenager in highschool or play team sports or something after the disappointing year she's had. But I really hope she keeps going, she is just lovely to watch and even though she probably feels bad about how she's been skating recently, she's got to realize that for a 13 year old she is doing really well. She exudes elegance on the ice, has nice basics and jumps, and seems like a sweet girl too. I feel like her biggest problem is the mental approach.