Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Junior Event (as seen on computer)

Custom Title
    Wow! The Junior Men's FS was great, with awesome performances from all in the final group. It will be tough to decide who will be going to Jr. Worlds, but that won't be decided until after the Senior Mens event. I wish we could have more entries as some of these guys are aging out after this year, and this will be their final chance to go to Jr. Worlds.

Custom Title
    Never mind!
    Last edited by yunasashafan; 01-26-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateSkates View Post
    Wow! The Junior Men's FS was great, with awesome performances from all in the final group. It will be tough to decide who will be going to Jr. Worlds, but that won't be decided until after the Senior Mens event. I wish we could have more entries as some of these guys are aging out after this year, and this will be their final chance to go to Jr. Worlds.
    The last group of skaters was indeed a great display of talented US men coming on board as top contenders in the future. However, for me, the great was by Philip Warren (6th place, I think). From a performance point of view, I would say he has the best carriage, the best flow over the ice, the best transitions, and he does not execute the tricks as highlights, but as part of the entire interpretation of the music. He jumps without preparation. Now who else does that and doesn't mess up?

The Ladies tonight! - Is there a front runner?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The Ladies tonight! - Is there a front runner?
    Hicks for sure. But she and Dinh both skate early in the final flight, while Kulgeyko skates last so we could be in for some upsets.

Would I be brazen to claim Ashley Caine as having the most exquisite form in rhe whole of Figure Skating?

Custom Title
    I don't really agree, but she skated pretty well in the LP.

Custom Title
    Would I be brazen to claim Ashley Caine as having the most exquisite form in rhe whole of Figure Skating?
    No. But she's maybe the best looking.

Custom Title
    Who won?

Never mind, I tracked down the answer. If I am not mistaken, Courtney Hicks FS score would have served her well on the senior level.
    Last edited by ucrgirl; 01-27-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Custom Title
    Courtney was the class of the field again tonight even with a fall. She skates with such command and with poise of a much older skater. I see big things for her. They better send her to Junior Worlds now.

Now that it's over, how many will stay with figure skating?

The podium finishers will more than likely stick around for a while. I'm hoping we do not lose Ashley Caine to early retirement.

Custom Title
    I just barely managed to watch the Junior Ladies SPs & FSs late last night before I fell asleep exhausted.

To tell the honest truth I wasn't really impressed with any of them, sorry to say. :( Yes, Courtney Hicks won and she does have the jumps, but she really does need to work on her PCS/presentation/et al. Between her & Agnes Zawadzki, I'd predict the latter as a future champion based on the jumps alone, but they BOTH still need to work on the PCS part.

It's simply a matter of whomever wants it more.

Here's hoping I get a chance to watch the Junior Mens & Pairs.

I agree. There is a lack of grandeur in the performances of these skaters including Courtney. But then performance is not judged so much in CoP as it was in 6.0. The PC scores are about the layout of the program more than the actual skate of the performer.

I agree. There is a lack of grandeur in the performances of these skaters including Courtney. But then performance is not judged so much in CoP as it was in 6.0. The PC scores are about the layout of the program more than the actual skate of the performer.
    That's typical of Juniors, even under 6.0. They are (nationally) Juniors for a reason and that is mostly that they are not ready to be Senior (in other words, don't have the presentation skills of a Senior level skater). It used to be (under 6.0) that you were 13-15 and in Juniors with as many 3's as you could do (all up to Lutz if at all possible) and once they were consistent, you worked on presentation and moved up to Seniors.

Custom Title
    Now that it's over, how many will stay with figure skating?

The podium finishers will more than likely stick around for a while. I'm hoping we do not lose Ashley Caine to early retirement.
    I feel the same way about Ashley, but at somepoint she may end up picking either singles or pairs. And I really hope Nina Jiang continues to skate after this season, she's had a rough year, but there are still so many great things about her skating, I would be very sad if she gave up at age 13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast