Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gala

On the Ice

Gala

Based on what I saw at gala, It looks like this year's Junior women's champ seems to have some potential. She has much better skating skills and jumps than last year's champ. Hope she doesn't follow the footsteps of most previous junior champs.

Custom Title
    Is Nam going to be on?

Nam's on right now

Tripping on the Podium
    Gasp! Shawn Sawyer bears his torso! Will someone think of the CHILDREN?!?!?

Custom Title
    One of the best reasons for Shawn to be on the podium is that we get treated to his show program.

I'd watch him any time over Weir.

Shawn and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch were both extremely entertaining

Tripping on the Podium
    Agree with blue_idealist and SkateFiguring!

Custom Title
    Patrick's performance in Gala:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KpQ3_sV_eI

Love the funny beginning with Kurt!

Custom Title
    that was cute with Kurt, thanks for sharing (dare I admit, though, that I don't love this exhibition, even though it is totally cute and the jumps were nice....)

Can someone help out w/something...

I was on the bike while watching the Gala last night and...Did Megan and Eric screw up that last lift? It looked like something happened there, but I couldn't be certain.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    One of the best reasons for Shawn to be on the podium is that we get treated to his show program.

I'd watch him any time over Weir.
    Weir would never rip his shirt off during an exhibition. It takes him hours to get out of his elaborate gala costumes.

But really why bring Weir up? Him and Sawyer are completely different skaters with different styles and skills. Weir isn't in this competition or competing this season. Do those two have a past rivalry I don't know about? Did Weir bump Sawyer off a gala in the past?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Weir would never rip his shirt off during an exhibition. It takes him hours to get out of his elaborate gala costumes.

But really why bring Weir up? Him and Sawyer are completely different skaters with different styles and skills. Weir isn't in this competition or competing this season. Do those two have a past rivalry I don't know about? Did Weir bump Sawyer off a gala in the past?
    When I watched Shawn last night in the gala, Johnny just popped in my head as a comparable artist. I realized Shawn never had the opportunity to be as appreciated. Given the grandioso direction Johnny is going, I am even more appreciative of Shawn's talent and artistry. I have always preferred pure talents much more than OTT costume and staging in performing arts.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    When I watched Shawn last night in the gala, Johnny just popped in my head as a comparable artist. I realized Shawn never had the opportunity to be as appreciated. Given the grandioso direction Johnny is going, I am even more appreciative of Shawn's talent and artistry. I have always preferred pure talents much more than OTT costume and staging in performing arts.
    The reason why Shawn doesn't get the same recognition as Weir or dozens of other skaters who are just as much in competition with Sawyer is because Sawyer's jumps aren't top level. His 3axel has always been whiffy, and his other jumps aren't huge or secure. Even with the skate of his life at this nationals, Sawyer got an UR call on his 3flip. He doesn't get the recognition because he doesn't get the results. It's hardly Weir's fault.

And do you really disdain showmanship and over the top performances? This gala performance which you seemed to enjoy had Sawyer ripping off his shirt! He performed as the Mad Hatter in his new LP. The cantilever Sawyer does in his competitive programs now come straight from show skating. He does backflips. He performed as Mozart in the past. His mentor is Toller Cranston. His split spins and spirals are all flashy as hell. Sawyer is an extremely extroverted and showy skater. It's what's great about him.

On the other hand, Weir is the one who has done many introspective and meditative skates to such pieces as Imagine, the Swan and Otonal.

I'm not so sure you understand your tastes.

On the Ice
    cbc has the entire gala up here

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kemisha View Post
    cbc has the entire gala up here
    thanks for the link!! wow Shawn did a backflip, rarely see one done by current gen skaters :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast