Ice Dance, Short Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance, Short Dance

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm happy that P/B & I/K both skated so well!

I hope that I/K & R/T would be the top two Russians here, but that is so unlikely to happen.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm not into Bobrova and Soloviev's new SD. It's just sort of boring; I think it might be the song. Why did they change it anyway? Too many complaints about the gruesome 'Delilah' lyrics?

KMK0902

On the Ice
Who else is sad for Federica & Massimo??? :think: I can't believe how much worse this season can get for them! :cry:

I don't want to sound mean, but...

- They should have retired after last year's (gift) bronze at their home World.
- They should have known that they will never again be that close to the top.

It was a gift for years of service, just like the bronze to the German ice dancers about 5-6 years ago when the Worlds were in Germany (can't for the life of me remember their names) They however realized that they would never get that high again and retired...

K

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't want to sound mean, but...

- They should have retired after last year's (gift) bronze at their home World.
- They should have known that they will never again be that close to the top.

It was a gift for years of service, just like the bronze to the German ice dancers about 5-6 years ago when the Worlds were in Germany (can't for the life of me remember their names) They however realized that they would never get that high again and retired...

K

Kati Winkler/Rene Lohse

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Urk! Due to the extreme problems I had with some livestreaming earlier in the season, I just assumed I'd have to wait for YouTube... and now I find out they work ( but but didn't discover it 'til the tail end of the pairs ) I can't believe B/S changed their SD ...it was working, I thought.

I'll have to scan YouTube for the short ,but I'm thrilled these links are working and there's relatively little buffering. can't wait for the FD.Did see a clip of Federica losing the twizzle...ouch!

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Really enjoyed the original dance, it was much better than I expected. Chris from Eurosport was very impressed with I/K, while Nicky tended to find some faults with most couples. Was very impressed with I/K, they really have improved throughout the season, they caught and held your attention from the start. Really liked P/B and they do deserve their lead but they are not as far ahead as I expected.

It will be interesting to see if the Kerrs can hold on to third, the two new russian couples will be chasing them down and also trying to be the second ranked Russain couple to earn a trip to worlds. Feel sorry for the Italians, really enjoyed their programmes last year but judges did bury them a bit, but they can still pull up. Why did they allow only 21 teams into the original dance and then 20 on to the free? Seems kinda silly, would they not have been better letting all teams skate the original? Only 28 couples take part.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I actually thought the Kerrs deserved second but oh well.

I might be the only one who doesn't really like Ilinykh and Katsalapov. They're ok, but I think they might be overrated. They don't make me say 'wow.'

katia

On the Ice
I also thought that Kerrs deserved second.
Right now I wanted to see them once again on youtube and the music is disabled. I think it is ridiculous.!

herios

Medalist

I might be the only one who doesn't really like Ilinykh and Katsalapov. They're ok, but I think they might be overrated. They don't make me say 'wow.'

You are not the only one. I dislike big time their waltz music and perhaps that is why I do not like their SD. I have to recognize that they skated better than the whole season, but I would still have put them behind Riazanova / Tkacenko who's waltz is one of my favorites.

I am very happy for P/B who are my long time sentimental favorites, I just hope they skate cleanly and take the gold, they got the pewter medal way too many times.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

No, you're not. I just don't get them.

I really like B/S (they have everything but "it") but that was a terrible SD. Whoa. I'm genuinely convinced that the music is played when welcoming people into hell. Much prefered their last one. And I'm glad they're close to P/B.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Yikes! B/S..what have you done ? I don't think it was a switch from the gruesome lyrics, since now , he's about to strangle her at the end.:biggrin:

A move to be as dark and dramatic as I/K ? Frankly, I can do with a bit less.

Got to go search out the others...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, I shouldn't have spoken before seeing I/K's SD. Doesn't impress me as a dance, but that was easily their best skate. Those twizzles were amazing and the lift was gorgeouos. They skated with intensity and flair and I might be starting to like them.

Riazanova/Tkachenko were also quite good.

P/B bore me when they don't annoy me. They bored me.

F/S.... sigh.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
My thoughts:

Péchalat & Bourzat - Very happy for them. Their SD was great and they deserve to be in 1st place.

Bobrova & Soloviev - They were good. I was surprised by their scores, though.

Kerrs - They were awesome. I think they deserve to be in 2nd place.

Ilinykh & Katsapolov - A great performance for such a young couple. I think their scores were fair.

Riazanova & Tkachenko - I thought they were a little overscored, but I thought their performance was okay.

Faiella & Scali - :cry:

I'm very happy Hoffmann & Zavozin, the German couple and Hurtado & Díaz did well!

alithia

Final Flight
I also don't get I/K, it's not that they're not good skaters, but I find them overrated and not that much big of a deal yet.They actually remind me of some 90's team, which is not bad but I can't see why everyone is so crazy about them yet.
I liked R/T, although he wasn't as sharp as he was at Russian Nationals.This is a beautiful waltz.
F/S made me really sad...They were slow and tentative and looked strange even without the fall skating after B/S
I like B/S, I liked it more than Delilah although I was singing Delilah along it.It was sharper and it actually had some shadows which Delilah absolutely lacked.I'm afraid he's gonna strangle her for real at Worlds if he gets so emotional again:p Again, I can't get why the hate around the net, they're great technicians,they are very elegant..I guess people that hate D/W and V/M probably hate these two as well.
The Kerrs were great,they were solid,and I enjoyed them a lot.
P/B bore me, I like them but they bore me, but they deserve a medal and I hope they get it at last.

viv

On the Ice
You are not the only one. I dislike big time their waltz music and perhaps that is why I do not like their SD. ....

The music - and the idea - of I&Ks waltz was Vals Cruzado, which is related to french musette waltz and part of the traditional Tango Argentino "universe".
Of course no one is obliged to like it, ;) but it is as traditional as - for example - Viennese waltz. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, but when you are assigned a "Viennese Waltz" (light and happy) and you do a "Vals Cruzado", IMO it is a classic fail. The GW is a Viennese. Now it might have been interesting to do the GW to appropriate music and segue into a Vals Cruzado, given that tango & waltz are allowed as a secondary choices. Otherwise it just looks like superficial "cleverness" by a coach attempting to make a new team look interesting, and to cover up their flaws in doing the GW correctly, to the beat.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I like I/K's look and potential a lot..I just don't think their programs do the most for them. Zhulin can have his moments, choreographically, but he's inclined to let gimmicks and posing creep in , and I think that's what can give a bit of a dated look.

I'm not a fan of their FD , either. Although she's lovely in a tutu , I don't think tutus work well for Ice Dance . I think they encourage distance between the partners and look too crunchy in the lifts. They also have too many cuts in the music.( and pauses inthe dance )

OTOh, P/B's programs are great for them this year..( I don't know if he's the sole choreographer there, though )

** Just saw doris' post, so I came back to add..Right on ! ( that dates me ). And I don't find much tango in their tango section, either.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
IOTOh, P/B's programs are great for them this year..( I don't know if he's the sole choreographer there, though )

No, their programs have 3 different choregraphers listed: Sasha Zhulin, A. Najarro and Julien Cottereau. There was a IN article, where they mentioned Cottereau ( a french clown) working with them on their Chaplin program, so that was most likely a co-production. Najarro was definitely the author of their first SD which they dropped (Amelie + Piazolla) and here is something very interesting from an article on Absoluteskating:

Najarro inetreviewed at TEB "In this competition we ended up seeing only two of your programs instead of three. What happened to the short dance you created for Nathalie Péchalat and Fabian Bourzat?
They were not sure about the music, they chose it but in the end they changed it. So they arranged the short dance themselves and I will work with them in January to improve it and add to the choreography".
This is in reference to their second SD, Dr Zhivago. .