Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year

Custom Title

Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year

Congratulatons Evan on winning the USOC Male Athlete of the Year award.
    great honor and well deserved

Custom Title
    Now US athlets know their victories don't mean a thing if they don't defeat a Russian communist villain, like Evan did!!!!

Congratulations to Evan!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Now US athlets know their victories don't mean a thing if they don't defeat a Russian communist villain, like Evan did!!!!

Congratulations to Evan!
    I think that a skater´s like Plushenko´s presence at the competition made Evan´s win even more prestigious.

Congratulations to Evan for the award!!! Great honour...

Custom Title
    what is this a joke? how about bode miller or shaun White. Lysacek didn't do a quad which caused a major overhaul of the whole scoring system

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    what is this a joke? how about bode miller or shaun White. Lysacek didn't do a quad which caused a major overhaul of the whole scoring system
    Bode Miller and Shaun White???

"Lysacek won gold at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, becoming the first American men's figure skating champion since Brian Boitano in 1988. He defeated reigning Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko of Russia to end Russia's dominance of the top of the podium.

I don´t understand why they named Lindsey Vonn sportwoman of the year if she defeated Julia Mancuso who is American too, I mean where is the glory?

Congratulations to Evan!! Well deserved honor.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    They won medals before, Evan did something that hasn't been done since Boitano in 88 when he won the gold. Also he became the first world champion from the USA to win the gold since Hamilton in 84. Having the USA beat out the Russian choosen one was just the icing on the cake.

Just an average girl
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Bode Miller and Shaun White???
    Bode Miller is being penalized for his lousy performances in Torino. I guess Shaun White will have to settle for being the star of the Games and getting the many commercial opportunities others only dream about.

Bode Miller is a jerk. Shawn White is cool.

Custom Title
    Character wise, I, personally, prefer Lysacek way more than Bode Miller and Shaun White. He is a decent, hardworking, respectful young man.

Just... I'm wondering if Evan would regret his approach for the win sometimes when being alone at night and thinking about his past and his Olympic win which has caused such a huge controversy as well as the change in figure skating because of this controversy?

Making a sport regressing is not one of the Olympics spirit. (I realized that it's not entirely his fault. His coach Frank Carroll and, most of all, the system are at fault too.)
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 01-26-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Just... I'm wondering if Evan would regret his approach for the win sometimes...
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
    That's probably one of the differences between western and eastern culture. I think if it were Takahashi in such disposition, he would regret at least in his mind sometimes. And that's the reason that Takahashi was and is so admired by so many in eastern as well as in western world that he tried 4F even though it was not a secure jump for him at the time.

(I didn't mean to mock the western culture in any way. This is one of the differences between cultures. There are some unbearable things in eastern culture which were not listed here.)
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 01-26-2011 at 10:53 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Just... I'm wondering if Evan would regret his approach for the win sometimes when being alone at night and thinking about his past and his Olympic win which has caused such a huge controversy as well as the change in figure skating because of this controversy?
    why should he? he is an athlete , his job was to compete and skate well and he skated the best he ever did in Olys. Marks, aftermath and all are not his business.

Whippet Good!
    Was Evan's win really such a huge controversy? I didn't notice anything outside of figure skating message boards. I noticed some completes but no huge controversy.

That's probably one of the differences between western and eastern culture. I think if it were Takahashi in such disposition, he would regret at least in his mind sometimes.)
    I don't think it is a cultural difference so much as an individual one. Everyone wants to do his best.

Scott Hamilton, for instance, felt a little twinge in winning his Olympic gold medal because he knew he hadn't performed his best in the free skating portions of the competition, even though he won on the strength of his figures.

Evan skated his best at the Olympics. Maybe he didn't skate Alexei Yagudin's best, but he skated his best.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast