Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year | Golden Skate

Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year

fairly4

Medalist
Congratulatons Evan on winning the USOC Male Athlete of the Year award.
great honor and well deserved

ciocio

On the Ice
Now US athlets know their victories don't mean a thing if they don't defeat a Russian communist villain, like Evan did!!!! :laugh:;)

Congratulations to Evan!:agree:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Now US athlets know their victories don't mean a thing if they don't defeat a Russian communist villain, like Evan did!!!! :laugh:;)

Congratulations to Evan!:agree:

I think that a skater´s like Plushenko´s presence at the competition made Evan´s win even more prestigious.

Congratulations to Evan for the award!!! Great honour...

gmyers

Record Breaker
what is this a joke? how about bode miller or shaun White. Lysacek didn't do a quad which caused a major overhaul of the whole scoring system

ciocio

On the Ice
what is this a joke? how about bode miller or shaun White. Lysacek didn't do a quad which caused a major overhaul of the whole scoring system

Bode Miller and Shaun White???:laugh:

"Lysacek won gold at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, becoming the first American men's figure skating champion since Brian Boitano in 1988. He defeated reigning Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko of Russia to end Russia's dominance of the top of the podium.

I don´t understand why they named Lindsey Vonn sportwoman of the year if she defeated Julia Mancuso who is American too, I mean where is the glory?:scratch::confused:

UM84

On the Ice

They won medals before, Evan did something that hasn't been done since Boitano in 88 when he won the gold. Also he became the first world champion from the USA to win the gold since Hamilton in 84. Having the USA beat out the Russian choosen one was just the icing on the cake.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Bode Miller and Shaun White???:laugh:

Bode Miller is being penalized for his lousy performances in Torino. I guess Shaun White will have to settle for being the star of the Games and getting the many commercial opportunities others only dream about.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Character wise, I, personally, prefer Lysacek way more than Bode Miller and Shaun White. He is a decent, hardworking, respectful young man.

Just... I'm wondering if Evan would regret his approach for the win sometimes when being alone at night and thinking about his past and his Olympic win which has caused such a huge controversy as well as the change in figure skating because of this controversy?

Making a sport regressing is not one of the Olympics spirit. (I realized that it's not entirely his fault. His coach Frank Carroll and, most of all, the system are at fault too.)

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

That's probably one of the differences between western and eastern culture. I think if it were Takahashi in such disposition, he would regret at least in his mind sometimes. And that's the reason that Takahashi was and is so admired by so many in eastern as well as in western world that he tried 4F even though it was not a secure jump for him at the time.

(I didn't mean to mock the western culture in any way. This is one of the differences between cultures. There are some unbearable things in eastern culture which were not listed here.:p)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Just... I'm wondering if Evan would regret his approach for the win sometimes when being alone at night and thinking about his past and his Olympic win which has caused such a huge controversy as well as the change in figure skating because of this controversy?
why should he? he is an athlete , his job was to compete and skate well and he skated the best he ever did in Olys. Marks, aftermath and all are not his business.

Tesla

Final Flight
Was Evan's win really such a huge controversy? I didn't notice anything outside of figure skating message boards. I noticed some completes but no huge controversy.

That's probably one of the differences between western and eastern culture. I think if it were Takahashi in such disposition, he would regret at least in his mind sometimes.)

I don't think it is a cultural difference so much as an individual one. Everyone wants to do his best.

Scott Hamilton, for instance, felt a little twinge in winning his Olympic gold medal because he knew he hadn't performed his best in the free skating portions of the competition, even though he won on the strength of his figures.

Evan skated his best at the Olympics. Maybe he didn't skate Alexei Yagudin's best, but he skated his best.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I don´t believe Evan has anything to regret at all, quite the opposite! Evan did exactly what he was able to do under the circumstances. Besides, I don´t think it was easy for him or would be for any skater to approach the Olympics knowing that because of the circumstances one is less competitive against some other skaters. Anyway, he did his best and it was enough for the win.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Evan did a FANTASTIC job, I was there!, I know first hand what it felt like to be in the audience when he skated. You honestly had to be there in the audience first-hand to see how great he did, he involved the audience, got them going, chose familiar music, skated clean with verve & conviction! It was honestly awesome to see first hand, which made it that more heartbreaking for Evgeni, whom blew everybody else away with his equally FANTASTIC skating as well; you have to see his jumps in person, there's simply nothing like it, it's just too bad the music nor the choreography did him justice, but he skated it with total command & conviction as well!!!! Yet there can only be one winner, not two, as it should be, no matter how close.

And as I've always said, the best competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win! Congratulations, Evan, on another well-earned accolade! :thumbsup:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't think a thief cares how they stole their money only that they have their stolen money!! Lysacek could win the gold being a quadless coward and now has the title of one of the best in the world- if not the best and considered one of the greatest American skaters ever -because of what he won being quadless. His won was a shocking regression in jumps and could have destroyed it but they judges didn't care. The US doesn't care. The rules were changed after the fact because lots did care that he was a thief.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton, for instance, felt a little twinge in winning his Olympic gold medal because he knew he hadn't performed his best in the free skating portions of the competition, even though he won on the strength of his figures.

yes but he was also then - and now - frustrated with the politics behind figures judging. And he said as much that it was politics that kept him on that top spot... but do you see him giving his medal away? no. To him it was a reward for four years of intense dedication to the disipline of the sport.

Nadine

Record Breaker
PS: I do admit "home court" advantage also makes a HUGE difference, there's nothing like having the audience on your side, it honestly DOES make a difference with the judges. Until I attended the Olympics, I always thought all this home court advantage stuff was a myth, but I can honestly say right now it is NOT a myth.

Still, it could have gone either way depending on a different set of judges, or a different scoring system, or even a different audience (ala Russian/European). But that's life, and that's destiny, it was simply meant to be. And Evan Lyscek was meant to be an Olympic Champion, same as Evgeni Plushenko was meant to be the third skater (1st in the modern era) to have medalled in 3 Olympiads, making him an immortal alongside Gillis Grafstrom and Sonja Henie. So it is written, so it shall be...