Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evan on winning the USoc Athlete of the Year

seniorita

Record Breaker
gmyers in the recent Evgeni ´s tv interview in sweden (i m sure you know it) he said about Vancouver, it is past now, I dont talk the past, I look the future. If he can say that, why we dont do the same? It´s not like we lost the gold:)
it is rather a turn off that every thread of Evan turns to an Evan/Evgeni battle and Olys. They both have their medals, both had their country´s honors and all bunch of titles afterwards, and it has been a year now, ONE year, move on.:cool:
I dont have high hopes judging by Nagano discussions though.:laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's true that I did see the Swedish interview with Plushenko saying Vancouver is the past but obviously Plushenko is trying to get his eligibility back and has to be careful with statements probably. But I still beleive that if people just accept Lysaceks gold that means an endorsement of quadlessness and no jump standards for champions- and for men it should include a quad like it did for three olympics before 2010. Like "congrats you pushed mens skating back to 1994!!" That's not for me! Sorry.

seniorita

Record Breaker
But it was discussed in blogs, forums, I read it in newspapers, tv programs, it is dead now. I think mostly it was discussed because of the small margin in marks and the fact that Plush was a little more known outside fs society not for the quads and not necessarily in favor of any of the two skaters. Depended on geography though..

As for quadless, this season many skaters are jumping quads, and what do you worry about, Chan does two to compensate for your loss in Olys. :)

I do wish we wouldn't use words like "thief" to refer to a skater, though. Evan did nothing but skate; he didn't stand over the judges or sabotage Plushy's skates or anything at all underhanded. Maybe he didn't even expect to win; he just wanted to stay on the podium. Look, Shizuka didn't do a triple-triple at Torino, and there's nothing dreadful about her win. The way things work on the night is the result of many factors. We don't always get to see the skate of a generation at the Olympics the way we did with YuNa, or with Boitano in 1988.

Another example: I still can't endorse Lipinski as a skater over Michelle, despite the fact that Lipinski got the gold that night. I joke that it's because I'm a Michelle "bot," but even looking at it as a stranger, I see beauty of line and interpretation in Michelle's skating that is not to be found in Tara's. But Tara did an honest job and was judged (by a very narrow margin, just as at Vancouver) the winner, and there's no fault in either of those two ladies. None. As Irina Slutskaya once said, "this is sport."

Skating is a messy sport. Sometimes it's caused by nationalism or chicanery, and sometimes by personal bias toward a particular style or person. But that's on the part of the judges and the federations--not the skaters. All they do is work like dogs for years. And sometimes skating is messy just because it's a sport. Everyone can legitimately try his/her best to judge fairly, and things come out a certain way. Remember, the judges have about--what? five minutes to render their verdict? They don't get to sit on the results like the Supreme Court on a case.

Last edited:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I am so excited Evan got the award! I guess I'm in the minority, but I think he deserves it, for his good sportsmanship and good skating.

lavender

Record Breaker
gmyers
I don't think a thief cares how they stole their money only that they have their stolen money!! Lysacek could win the gold being a quadless coward and now has the title of one of the best in the world- if not the best and considered one of the greatest American skaters ever -because of what he won being quadless. His won was a shocking regression in jumps and could have destroyed it but they judges didn't care. The US doesn't care. The rules were changed after the fact because lots did care that he was a thief.

Good for Evan. He did something that hasn't happen in a long time but I don't know many who truly see Evan as the greatest or one of the greats of this sport like on a Boitano or even Kurt level just because he won the OG.

pista04

On the Ice
Is he my favorite skater? no. Does he kinda irritate me as a person? yes. Does he deserve this award? Yeah.

Whether or agree with how he won or not, he did. He accomplished one thing: he played the game. And he played the game real well. He followed the rules, and played by the point system, and maximized what he could do. Plushenko knew the point system, and knew how he could to garner higher points than he did (artistic skills, backloading his jumps, etc) and whether he chose not to or couldn't, he didn't.

Lysacek played the game. Bottom line.

stevlin

On the Ice
I don't think a thief cares how they stole their money only that they have their stolen money!! Lysacek could win the gold being a quadless coward and now has the title of one of the best in the world- if not the best and considered one of the greatest American skaters ever -because of what he won being quadless. His won was a shocking regression in jumps and could have destroyed it but they judges didn't care. The US doesn't care. The rules were changed after the fact because lots did care that he was a thief.

Oh grow up. So what if Evan didn't choose to do the quad. Everything else he did was terrific enough to win the gold medal. Plushenko did a quad. Whoopie do. But he also stopped, posed and took some breaks, plus his landings were sloppy and crooked in the air. Plushenko didn't skate to his music either. It's like any music will do. So glad he didn't win that arrogant fool.

gmyers

Record Breaker
But it was discussed in blogs, forums, I read it in newspapers, tv programs, it is dead now. I think mostly it was discussed because of the small margin in marks and the fact that Plush was a little more known outside fs society not for the quads and not necessarily in favor of any of the two skaters. Depended on geography though..

As for quadless, this season many skaters are jumping quads, and what do you worry about, Chan does two to compensate for your loss in Olys. :)

This award from the USOC is all because of the 2010 Olympics though. So I just brought up the method in which he won and what the ISU did after.

I do wish we wouldn't use words like "thief" to refer to a skater, though. Evan did nothing but skate; he didn't stand over the judges or sabotage Plushy's skates or anything at all underhanded. Maybe he didn't even expect to win; he just wanted to stay on the podium. Look, Shizuka didn't do a triple-triple at Torino, and there's nothing dreadful about her win. The way things work on the night is the result of many factors. We don't always get to see the skate of a generation at the Olympics the way we did with YuNa, or with Boitano in 1988.

Another example: I still can't endorse Lipinski as a skater over Michelle, despite the fact that Lipinski got the gold that night. I joke that it's because I'm a Michelle "bot," but even looking at it as a stranger, I see beauty of line and interpretation in Michelle's skating that is not to be found in Tara's. But Tara did an honest job and was judged (by a very narrow margin, just as at Vancouver) the winner, and there's no fault in either of those two ladies. None. As Irina Slutskaya once said, "this is sport."

Skating is a messy sport. Sometimes it's caused by nationalism or chicanery, and sometimes by personal bias toward a particular style or person. But that's on the part of the judges and the federations--not the skaters. All they do is work like dogs for years. And sometimes skating is messy just because it's a sport. Everyone can legitimately try his/her best to judge fairly, and things come out a certain way. Remember, the judges have about--what? five minutes to render their verdict? They don't get to sit on the results like the Supreme Court on a case.

Arakawa didn't do a 3/3 but neither did anyone else and she was the only one who didn't fall! It was not anywhere near a good Olympics for jumps from women anyway!

Good for Evan. He did something that hasn't happen in a long time but I don't know many who truly see Evan as the greatest or one of the greats of this sport like on a Boitano or even Kurt level just because he won the OG.

He got a main focus on the Atlantic city show of American great skaters. I guess we'll see just how much he is mentioned during these nationals coming up this week. I think for average people watching tv and all that when a gold medalists is mentioned it is thought they are great.

Oh grow up. So what if Evan didn't choose to do the quad. Everything else he did was terrific enough to win the gold medal. Plushenko did a quad. Whoopie do. But he also stopped, posed and took some breaks, plus his landings were sloppy and crooked in the air. Plushenko didn't skate to his music either. It's like any music will do. So glad he didn't win that arrogant fool.

What am I just supposed to forget that Lysacek stopped and paused and posed and did a move where he did one hand down his chest and another one up it? Why is that great and OK and not what Plushenko did!

Ohno was more deserving of this. Miller was more deserving. White won his SECOND gold. Lysaceks win was so controversial the system was changed and his ally in the quads shouldn't matter line of talk Chan is now doing three quads a competition!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is he my favorite skater? no. Does he kinda irritate me as a person? yes. Does he deserve this award? Yeah.

Whether or agree with how he won or not, he did. He accomplished one thing: he played the game. And he played the game real well. He followed the rules, and played by the point system, and maximized what he could do. Plushenko knew the point system, and knew how he could to garner higher points than he did (artistic skills, backloading his jumps, etc) and whether he chose not to or couldn't, he didn't.

Lysacek played the game. Bottom line.

My sentiment exactly. Lysacek won fair and square whether or not I like it.

Even if he is not my favorite skater or person, to read someone calling him a thief, whoa! :eek: That's groundless slandar and character assasination.

Go start your own International Ice Jumping Union, write your own rules, organize your own events and award your own medals, dude, and good luck having it recognized as an Olympic sport. Just don't impose your personal rules in other people's game and throw a fits and spew ugly names when it's not to your liking.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh grow up. .... So glad he didn't win that arrogant fool.
Some months ago Blades had a great post noting down who did what and that Plushenko did skate to his tango music. If you didnt have such hate you might listen an objective post. But I dont even care right now searching for it.
Btw by your speech you dont sound grown up either.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Does every Evan thread have to end up like this? *Starts to pull out hair*

Anyway, I think he deserves this award. He's not close to being the best skater ever, but he certainly skated well in Vancouver. Also, yes, he's a bit catty behind-the-scenes, and he's tweeted some things that I'm sure he regrets, but the way he presented himself in interviews (especially the one with Bob Costas) regarding the Olympics controversy was good for figure skating and Team USA/The Olympics in general. (And this is a USOC award after all...) Yes, I'm sure deep inside he was ticked off at both Plushenko and the media at that time, but letting his temporary emotions get the best of him and saying what he really felt before allowing time to pass to gain perspective would have been a mistake. Some people call that fake. I call it having good sense and respecting the sport.

Last edited:
Does every Evan thread have to end up like this? *Starts to pull out hair*

Anyway, I think he deserves this award. He's not close to being the best skater ever, but he certainly skated well in Vancouver. Also, yes, he's a bit catty behind-the-scenes, and he's tweeted some things that I'm sure he regrets, but the way he presented himself in interviews (especially the one with Bob Costas) regarding the Olympics controversy was good for figure skating and Team USA/The Olympics in general. (And this is a USOC award after all...) Yes, I'm sure deep inside he was ticked off at both Plushenko and the media at that time, but letting his temporary emotions get the best of him and saying what he really felt before allowing time to pass to gain perspective would have been a mistake. Some people call that fake. I call it having good sense and respecting the sport.

I definitely agree! Evan isn't going to be remembered as a skater for the ages. But so what? Often the Olympic champion isn't an immortal in the field. He or she is the best on that day. Evan kept his head and kept going. It happens that on that night, Plushenko wasn't unbeatable. Remember 1988, when Witt might or might not have been unbeatable but Debi Thomas simply fell apart? Evan was able to transcend whatever stresses he felt when he was up against a master of his sport. That's a trait that's worth at least a quad.

Moreover, there was his behavior afterward. Especially in the Costas interview, as McDuck points out, Evan proved himself as someone who knows how to behave appropriately. He was a gentleman and a good sport, and he was more articulate than I can possibily imagine being in such a pressure situation. What's he like in private life and on Twitter? Not relevant. It's relevant what he's like on international TV when he's under the spotlight, and he was a wonderful example of Olympian behavior. He represented his sport, his country, and his coach in an admirable manner. This award makes sense to me.

gmyers

Record Breaker
My sentiment exactly. Lysacek won fair and square whether or not I like it.

Even if he is not my favorite skater or person, to read someone calling him a thief, whoa! :eek: That's groundless slandar and character assasination.

Go start your own International Ice Jumping Union, write your own rules, organize your own events and award your own medals, dude, and good luck having it recognized as an Olympic sport. Just don't impose your personal rules other people's game and throw a fits and spew ugly names when it's not to your liking.

Luckily after Lysaceks quadless win at the Olympics the people in the ISU realized their system didn't reward quads enough and too much emphasis had been placed on step sequences and they increased the value of the quad and removed a SS from the short and made one in the LP a one level thing judged only on GOE! So the ISU knew a huge blunder and mistake had happened.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I definitely agree! Evan isn't going to be remembered as a skater for the ages. But so what? Often the Olympic champion isn't an immortal in the field. He or she is the best on that day. Evan kept his head and kept going. It happens that on that night, Plushenko wasn't unbeatable. Remember 1988, when Witt might or might not have been unbeatable but Debi Thomas simply fell apart? Evan was able to transcend whatever stresses he felt when he was up against a master of his sport. That's a trait that's worth at least a quad.

Moreover, there was his behavior afterward. Especially in the Costas interview, as McDuck points out, Evan proved himself as someone who knows how to behave appropriately. He was a gentleman and a good sport, and he was more articulate than I can possibily imagine being in such a pressure situation. What's he like in private life and on Twitter? Not relevant. It's relevant what he's like on international TV when he's under the spotlight, and he was a wonderful example of Olympian behavior. He represented his sport, his country, and his coach in an admirable manner. This award makes sense to me.

Well Lysacek certainly has gold medal forever. Partly why the rules were changed. Skater for the ages who doesn't win gold or gold medalist? Seems equal to me.

I can see if weren't a Plushenko fan that Lysacek seemed really nice but saying a program doesn't end with one jump and Plushenko wanted a jumping conteset where you would go out do one jump and the competition would be over was nasty. Lysacek and Carroll were nasty to Plushenko BEFORE and after the Olympics.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
gmyers, I have to ask: does it bug you that Evan won without a quad or that he had one in his career but elected not to work on it in the season leading up to the Olympics? Like if Buttle had won, would that have been better because he was never a quad skater at all? Because your tone with Lysacek is far angrier than it ever is when discussing Buttle and Takahashi's quadless worlds wins.

gmyers

Record Breaker
gmyers, I have to ask: does it bug you that Evan won without a quad or that he had one in his career but elected not to work on it in the season leading up to the Olympics? Like if Buttle had won, would that have been better because he was never a quad skater at all? Because your tone with Lysacek is far angrier than it ever is when discussing Buttle and Takahashi's quadless worlds wins.

It is almost entirely based on that he won the Olympics without doing one when the winners of the previous three Olympics did quads. If the rules hadn't been changed you would have seen a terrible u-turn in the sport and probably untapped potential as men would have probably stopped trying to do quads. The fact that he could do a quad at some point of his career and stopped was also disappointing as he CHOSE not to do the risky quad and rather play the system with. You could see him attempt a quad at US NAtionals 2010 so I just don't really get his injury excuse. I mean Ryan Bradley got a special insert in his boot - Lysacek couldn't get that? A lot of it could be the withholding of potential and that makes it worse and his win at the Olympics really could have closed a door on jumping potential for years and years. He, the judges his coach could have seriously damaged the sports progress. So I would have felt the same about Buttle winning! And Takahashi he always tries quads so if he won it wouldn't be like he wasn't trying. That's why I am basically fine or neutral on his worlds win.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I agree Olympia but don't hesitate...Tara isn't the skater that Michelle is and neither is Sarah. These aren't the greats or greatest of the sports even if they skate in shows that call them that gymers. I'm not a Evan fan. I wanted Takahashi to win but on that night Evan was the cleanest. He was the first American in how long to win and he was a good Olympian. What can we say. I promise...I wont' think he's one of the greats.:)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
You could see him attempt a quad at US NAtionals 2010 so I just don't really get his injury excuse.

If his quad attempt at that Nationals were successful, there would have been a completely different story there after. I don't believe the injury excuse either.

I have nothing against his personality and his character. In fact, I really like Lysacek off ice.

But someone chose to start this thread. I didn't mean that he/she shouldn't start it. However, it's related to 2010 Olympics. It's related to that controversial quadless win. And it's related to the subsequent changes in the sport. It's like to open an old wound. It has brought back those feelings and memories which have been forgotten for sometime. So it is natural that a thread like this would invite some, maybe emotional, discussions and arguments. Nothing to be surprised.