Who Could Be Patrick Chan's Challenger In the Next Couple of Years? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who Could Be Patrick Chan's Challenger In the Next Couple of Years?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Dai skates with his heart and whole body something Chan hasn't achieved yet but he is rather young to have all. I dont even dare to imagine how good Chan would be in Dai´s age, presentation-wise.
For Dai we are working the goats also Olympia, have no fear.:biggrin: I really want him to win worlds in his home if it is his last season. Chan can start winning from next year:)

He's working his way up to a quad.

I cried from laughing for this :laugh: I m looking forward to the combos!

ks777

Record Breaker
I think it will be Chan, Kozuka and Yuzuru Hanyu on the podium at the next olympics.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The thing that astonishes me with Chan is the fact that I don't think we've seen him at his peak yet, career-wise. The improvement this season has been astonishing and even if doesn't match his Nationals performance at Worlds, it's a good bet he will in the future (and even surpass it). So while we can say maybe Rippon/Kozuka/Brezina/Amodio will catch him if they improve, we can't presume Chan will stay stagnant. And that's enough to keep me interested, regardless of how the competitions turn out. Should be an incredible quad.

genki

On the Ice
I always cross my fingers for Takahashi! Not to say anything against Chan, who's wonderful, but at this moment my heart belongs to Daisuke. Part of it is Daisuke's inspired skating, and part is my general principle of wishing for injured skaters to come back to full strength

Olympia! Exactly. I am praying for him too. It is so amazing how quickly Chan got quads under his belt. Very talented. But I am not in love. I have fallen head over heels in love with Dai's passionate skating. So I am praying, I am praying desperately.

Dai said in the interview right after Skate America that he is dealing with the springs that came back recently. He said he can not control it, because depending on the timing, the jump sometimes becomes too big, or too low and he does not know which jump he is going to have.
Then, that accident at GPF. He still needs to have a bolt taken out surgically after worlds. I have a feeling that he will retire after the world.
That's part of the reason why I really want him to win in his home country.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko wont dare to try and return now that he sees how Chan is skating. Plushenko was already past his prime in Vancouver, losing to Lysacek. :laugh: His jumps, spins, overall skating, footwork, all far worse than his prime years at that point, and I cant imagine what they would look like at 29-31. Now that Chan has quads he blows away the current version of Plushenko in every category. Plushenko probably wanted to stay eligible when he thought Lysacek and headcase Takahashi were his main competition, but now he will be happy he has an excuse to never come back since I am sure he wants no piece of Chan right now.

I have thought of this myself! That it is possible that Plushenko would be looking at Chan at be like "good thing I don't have eligibility" and can use his age and injuries not to come back but then I am like "It is Plushenko maybe this is exactly the kind of skater he wants to compete against!!" because he does have super competitiveness!!

Layfan

Record Breaker
I always cross my fingers for Takahashi! Not to say anything against Chan, who's wonderful, but at this moment my heart belongs to Daisuke. Part of it is Daisuke's inspired skating, and part is my general principle of wishing for injured skaters to come back to full strength.

I feel the same way. Can't help it. And I agree with Seniorita that Dai for the moment skates with more heart than Patrick - but watch Chan's performance improve even more in the coming years.

I really feel lucky to have both of them on the scene right now. They are my two favorite skaters in a looooooong time. Maybe since Lambiel at his prime.

ciocio

On the Ice
Plushenko wont dare to try and return now that he sees how Chan is skating. Plushenko was already past his prime in Vancouver, losing to Lysacek. :laugh: His jumps, spins, overall skating, footwork, all far worse than his prime years at that point, and I cant imagine what they would look like at 29-31. Now that Chan has quads he blows away the current version of Plushenko in every category. Plushenko probably wanted to stay eligible when he thought Lysacek and headcase Takahashi were his main competition, but now he will be happy he has an excuse to never come back since I am sure he wants no piece of Chan right now.

I´m afraid is too late for Plushenko to hold back. If he really came to an agreement with his Federation and they reinstate him the scandal will be huge. As far as I know his goal is to compete in Sochi which has nothing to do with Lysacek, Takahashi or Chan.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The thing that astonishes me with Chan is the fact that I don't think we've seen him at his peak yet, career-wise. The improvement this season has been astonishing and even if doesn't match his Nationals performance at Worlds, it's a good bet he will in the future (and even surpass it). So while we can say maybe Rippon/Kozuka/Brezina/Amodio will catch him if they improve, we can't presume Chan will stay stagnant. And that's enough to keep me interested, regardless of how the competitions turn out. Should be an incredible quad.

Totally agree!:thumbsup::clap:

Kozuka, Brezina, Oda, Rippon, and Amodio will improve their own skating at their own rate. In the meantime, we cannot forget that Chan is not staying at the same level and waiting for anyone catching up. He is improving and perfecting his skating at an eye-popping speed. At least in my little skating experience and knowledge I have, I've never seen this kind of accelerated improvement. This alone will be keeping my interest as Well.

I realized that there will definitely be ups and downs in the future waiting for him. But no matter what is ahead of him, one thing is for sure that he is working very hard like every skater. And he's already set up his own higher goals ...Gushing? You bet.:biggrin:

I don't think anyone but Dai has the genius to overcome Patrick right now. Dai is not as young and strong, but he has a unique secret - the will of a champion. I'd bet my life savings (ha) that he has a plan for beating Patrick. He'll do it or die trying.

I'm not on the Kozuka bandwagon yet but he'd be my second guess. But he's far far behind the other two.

katia

On the Ice
I hope that Chan is thinking only about winning the competitions and will leave dying to others ;-)
Btw, I really like Chan improvements, he is a fighter. And a champion.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
It's a bit premature to say Chan is dominant in men's figure skating. He has been beaten internationally this year, at the Cup of Russia, by Tomas Verner.

Sure, he skated one of the best skates ever by any skater at Canadian nationals. But how many skaters have peaked at nationals only to crash and burn elsewhere? We have Jeremy Abbott in the US, Alissa Czisny and of course Michelle Kwan who laid down an invincible skate at nationals only to be crushed by Tara Lipinski at the Olympics. And unlike the US nationals, Canadian nationals had pathetic competition in men's. The silver and bronze medalist have tiny jumps that would embarrass novice girls and get just as many UR calls. Chan would have to be stupid and/or insane to believe that he had to watch his back. The only psychological hurdle there for Chan was the fear that he may not impress his fellow Canucks (who love him anyway) as much as he could.

It's going to be very different at Worlds. There, Chan will actually see skaters capable of landing and rotating high level jumps at every practice. He will have to contend with the immense pressure and expectations put on him now that he's laid down a perfect skate at nationals. The fear of failure is often the cause of it. Chan is probably going to crack a little.

I really enjoy watching Chan skate and want him to do great. But realistically I expect a few fumbles.

treeloving

Medalist
Olympia! Exactly. I am praying for him too. It is so amazing how quickly Chan got quads under his belt. Very talented. But I am not in love. I have fallen head over heels in love with Dai's passionate skating. So I am praying, I am praying desperately.

Dai said in the interview right after Skate America that he is dealing with the springs that came back recently. He said he can not control it, because depending on the timing, the jump sometimes becomes too big, or too low and he does not know which jump he is going to have.
Then, that accident at GPF. He still needs to have a bolt taken out surgically after worlds. I have a feeling that he will retire after the world.
That's part of the reason why I really want him to win in his home country.

What you wrote is exactly what I'm thinking!