Pairs, Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs, Short Program

JewelInTheSun

Rinkside
I expected a higher score for S/S, too. I mean, compared to the last season there is the pairspin missing, but the program was so great. And I can't understand why K/S got nearly the same technical score. I don't like their twist - the catching is mostly very bad. S/S should have been scored around 74 points!

Tanja90

On the Ice
As an Italian I'm really proud and happy for Berton Hotarek! They were gorgeous! The Italian commentator said that they received level 4 on the step seq! really great job!!!

Fantastic S/S!!! I've always loved them and they skated the best today!

I like K/S but what I don't like is their music choice...it's not my taste so maybe this ruins my opinion of the short!

oleada

Record Breaker
Have you seen the Zhangs? They are really fast, and with a lot of ice coverage. Their speed into the SBS 3S are even better than most single skaters. They have no connection with the audience, that's true. But you think S/S has better speed and ice coverage? What a ridiculous comment. :rolleye:

Btw, S/S have characters, alright, clownish and garish. The judges prefer that over blandness. I prefer neither. So I think they are about the same. That's my opinion, so you should back off. :mad:

Yeah, I do. I think S/S have infinitely better basics. Aliona has much better positions than Dan Zhang could ever hope to have, and Z/Z wouldn't know a transition if it hit them in the face. Throughout their career S/S have shown they can tackle pretty much any music - tremendous versatility with their programs. Dan Zhang's triple has gotten far less consistent as the years have gone on. S/S are innovators; the Zhangs are pretty much boring drones.

Sure it can be your opinion, but it doesn't mean it has any basis in reality.

mousepotato

On the Ice
The difference between K/S is not that much esp. if you are to see them in person which I'm assuming most have not. K/S are very fast and you can hardly hear them across the ice. Their elements were pretty close today with only a few being better and some not. They are a pretty comparable pair; it really comes down to who you "like" better. If you don't like a team chances are they will never grow on you and you will never see how good they are.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Great night of Pairs skating. I wasn't a fan of K/S's short until tonight, but I really enjoyed it. I thought everything went with the music much more so than S/S (I don't think they should be so far ahead). I agree with what someone said previous maybe their music is better suited to younger competitors however their Th3F is as impressive as ever. Little disappointed with B/L but hopefully they can hold on for the bronze. The Italians were superb, both they and G/E have a big future ahead of them. I don't think tonight was G/E's best performance but good none the less.

Pleasantly surprised by the Czechs, I thought they were going to be totally outclassed in the last group but gave a very engaging performance that was well presented. I hope they can hold on to their position. I never realised that Stacey Kemp can't do triples, it really is holding them back from progressing. Are they couple?

Looking forward to the Free. K/S have imo the best programme, I was blown away by it in CoR. I always felt they delivered great shorts but dissapointing longs in the past.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It is close between S/S and K/S. If you go by nationals performances K/S was better in theirs then S/S were in their free skates. But maybe S/S got all their kinks out and were tired because the GPF was just a few weeks before. Should be really good and B/L for Bronze probably.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Yeah, I do. I think S/S have infinitely better basics. Aliona has much better positions than Dan Zhang could ever hope to have, and Z/Z wouldn't know a transition if it hit them in the face. Throughout their career S/S have shown they can tackle pretty much any music - tremendous versatility with their programs. Dan Zhang's triple has gotten far less consistent as the years have gone on. S/S are innovators; the Zhangs are pretty much boring drones.

Sure it can be your opinion, but it doesn't mean it has any basis in reality.

You can't even dispute the fact that the Zhangs are just as fast and have as much ice coverage and you said it as if they are Caroline Zhang and her shadow skating in pair. The Zhangs were the only top pair who didn't make any mistakes at the Olympics, suddenly sheZhang became far less consistent? Funny someone just said no basis in reality. Funnier someone also said "S/S have infinitely better basics" in the same breath. You fail. :)

oleada

Record Breaker
You are completely delusional if you think the Zhangs have better basics than Savchenko and Szolkowy.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
You are completely delusional if you think the Zhangs have better basics than Savchenko and Szolkowy.
When did I say that? I remember you, you are the one who made up a few things about Rachael. And now this. You have a history, I see. What a waste of time! Ignore.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
B/H were great!!! I enjoyed so much their program!!! :)
And also the top three, I love this S/S sp and I also like K/S a lot!

Lucky Star

Final Flight

Actually all Chinese couples have poor basics (especially baby Chinese) and the Zhangs aren't exception. S/S on the other hand have decent basics, I don't think they can be compared with the Zhangs

colleen o'neill

Medalist
For both the top 2 teams , I like some things they do and not others, they have some similar strengths and some different weaknesses For both, the women can strike some downright ugly positions , though difficult they may be. But just thinking ahead to their free programs , I don't think S/S's can compare to K/S's...maybe element by element , but as a whole, K/S's is on a higher plane..So if they all skate clean , I think S/S are in trouble.

V/T could upset everyone's apple cart at World's . Some people have not liked their choreograhy... but there's nothing ugly in it. So it's yet another R&J...but they're gorgeous.

Orion

Rinkside
I have to admit, probably I'm in the minority but I like Kavaguti/Smirnovs SP better than Savchenko and Szolkowys. Sure S/S had a lot of energy and it wasn't bad at all, indeed it was good but I felt that the music and the elements of K/S went better with the music...
Btw am I the only one who thinks that Aljona's airposition in that lift is just ugly?

I feel the same way you do, Diva! I liked Kavaguti/Smirnov's SP better than S/S! I thought K/S were simply wonderful tonight - and they skated so well to their music! I have to say that S/S choice of music was not the best - more fitting for a junior couple perhaps? That is not to say they weren't good, of course they were, but tonight K/S had the edge for me.

oleada

Record Breaker
When did I say that? I remember you, you are the one who made up a few things about Rachael. And now this. You have a history, I see. What a waste of time! Ignore.

This coming from the person who says there's nothing good about Rachael's competitors...LOL. I've never made up anything about Rachael and you know it.

Protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2011/ec2011_Pairs_SP_Scores.pdf
One judge gave Aliona and Robin a 10.00 in performance :)

Videos:
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Kavaguti/Smirnov
Bazarova/Larionov
Berton/Hotarek
Gerboldt/Enbert
Hausch/Wende

oleada

Record Breaker
V/T could upset everyone's apple cart at World's . Some people have not liked their choreograhy... but there's nothing ugly in it. So it's yet another R&J...but they're gorgeous.

If S/S and V/T finish top two at worlds, Kemp and King could win the bronze; I'd be too happy to care! :biggrin:

mousepotato

On the Ice
This coming from the person who says there's nothing good about Rachael's competitors...LOL. I've never made up anything about Rachael and you know it.

Protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2011/ec2011_Pairs_SP_Scores.pdf
One judge gave Aliona and Robin a 10.00 in performance :)

Videos:
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Kavaguti/Smirnov
Bazarova/Larionov
Berton/Hotarek
Gerboldt/Enbert
Hausch/Wende

Compared to what that judge gave the Germans compared to what they gave everyone else, it's easy to guess what county they are from. In no way, shape or form was that a 10 performance. It was good, 7 and 8s; I can even say 9s but no way a 10.

K/S twist looked the exact same if not a slightly better split yet that judge gave them a -1? HUH? And gave the Germans a +2? HUH!?!

Her lift postition is ugly as well, it may be personal but I don't like it.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
And guess what spoken language is used in Switzerland? :)

K/S scored lower in other elements like the throw jump, the lz twist, but they did better in the step sequence. In fact, their base value is higher. You can't just look at one impressive element from S/S and decide their program is better.

I just can't believe K/S didn't place above S/S in a single component.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
To David King: Isn't there one girl in whole of Britain or a girl from another country who is willing to skate for GB who doesn't have trouble doing even double jumps that you can convince to skate with you? I would love you to skate with a partner who is more even to your skills!

I don't think David wants to leave his fiance.

oleada

Record Breaker
K/S twist looked the exact same if not a slightly better split yet that judge gave them a -1? HUH? And gave the Germans a +2? HUH!?!

They tend to have a crashy landing. It's not their strongest element at all. The split has to do with the level, which is why S/S only got a level 1.

oleada

Record Breaker
Compared to what that judge gave the Germans compared to what they gave everyone else, it's easy to guess what county they are from.
Which one would that be? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no German judge in this panel. The panel is Greece, Great Britain, France, Poland, Italy, Israel, Ukraine, Russia and Hungary.