Ladies sp 7:15 est!!!! | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Ladies sp 7:15 est!!!!

Rachael's success is a tribute to Lori Nichols and whoever designed the costume. Nichols picked emotional music with a champion's pedigree, and her choreography hit all the emotional highs in a way that swept the audience along with it. I thought it was one of the best-constructed programs I've ever seen. The audience went right along with the wild footwork because it prolonged the climax that came right before it. The dress gave Rachael a waist and, besides covering her arms (which aren't very toned), drew attention away from her poor posture. The new haircut helps too. So, Rachael skated her best, but what was new was that she also looked her best and had a great program. Good for her. I hope she can keep up the whole-package thing!

Ashley - how does everybody know that it's because she "wants it too much" that she makes mistakes? That's puzzling me. This one I blame on the flu (which Scott and Sandra didn't even mention).

On second view, I still think Agnes is amazing. She's not my type at all but the girl has no weaknesses and her aplomb is simply astounding. I look forward to seeing her in a less obnoxious program and costume, but, as little as I like that style, she does it way better than Rachael.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ashley - how does everybody know that it's because she "wants it too much" that she makes mistakes? That's puzzling me. This one I blame on the flu (which Scott and Sandra didn't even mention).

They may mention it tonight.

I still think she tries too hard. Flu of course didn't help matters much.

jan

On the Ice
It was so nice to see a costume that was simple for a change...CHRISTINA GAO

Haha! You are probably right.

Do you really think Mirai's SP is inventive? I think it's cute but not the most original thing I've ever seen. I think Mirai is easy to choreograph for and I wish she would get something a bit more... out of the box. Or memorable or something. Lori's choreo does look good on Mirai, that's true. But I want more I guess.

Olympia, I wish you had seen Alissa. I would have liked to know what you thought. the more I watch it the more I'm grumpy that her PCS were a smidge higher. But it's okay. She did so well and she's in 2nd!

Layfan, I have managed to watch Alissa on the one YouTube video available so far, rather low definition but perfectly fine nonetheless. What a lovely program, perfectly suited to her. As Ivy remarks, her spins deserve a 5, and it's too bad that the grade goes only up to 4. I also love the way she starts with those long, slow strokes. One of the ways that I enjoy skaters fitting themselves into the music is when they vary their stroking according to the tempo and the emotional coloration in the music. It's almost as though they're making the music come out of their skates. The other thing I especially noticed and appreciated was that the footwork wasn't more rapid than the music. It always bothers me when skaters just let loose with some footwork that's otherwise impressive but is really jarring because it fights the music. (Certainly Rachael's footwork for East of Eden conflicts with the music, but in my opinion even Michelle's footwork in her 2001 version of the music is a bit too accelerated for the flowing line of the tune.) Alissa manages to be true to herself in her programs. That's admirable.

You were left cold by Mirai's choreography, Layfan? I liked it. Maybe I was just so happy watching her that I didn't notice any shortcomings. I was especially taken with her spins, which had wonderful line and positions without looking too "tricky." They weren't overly bendy and contortionist. Though few people are as magical in full spin as Alissa, Mirai's spins are wonderful in their own way. But you're a dance person, right? You have much more technical understanding of what you're looking at, and maybe your imagination has devised other possibilities. If you get your wish, it'll be wonderful for all of us to see!

MKFSfan

Medalist
After watching NBC coverage my thoughts...

LOVE Alissa! She is just so lovely and refined, subtle and pleasing to watch. She seemed a bit careful, as if she was afraid to make a mistake, but she is the best spinner around! I really hope she skates lights out tonight!!!

Wow Christina has grown up so much! Nice, love the dress! Still a bit rough, but really like her. That 3fl/3t was fantastic! 3lutz as well. Pity about 2ax.

Agnes-so much fun to watch and WOW her jumps! I totally agree she deserved to be ahead of Christina. Lots of personality and confidence out there. Looks like she's having fun!

LOVE Mirai both as a skater and person! She has SO much talent and personality on the ice! I get the program was a bit gimmicky, but what a performer! And I love her spins, the jumps are huge and she has speed, a nice effortless about her skating. I just wish she had nerves of steel!

Ashley is such a talent. I do agree she wants to be #1 so bad and it shows too much in her skates. I wish she could just skate in the moment. I think she has all the tools and could really be a top contender if she can get lost in her performance a bit...like she thinks too much and tightens up...if that makes sense.

Best skate I've ever seen from Rachael, but the same way I think Ashely wants to win badly, I think Rachael wants to prove she is artistic and joyful too badly. As a Michelle fan, as a HUGE EOE fan (both the music and Michelle's SP), I will admit to be skeptical when I heard this was Rachael's new music. BUT I don't think anyone "owns" music. I was pleasantly surprised how nicely this program worked for Rachael until the frantic FW section. I think it is expected that in using EOE she will draw comparisons to MK, but I think she is trying to find her own style and this was a nice choice.

seniorita

Record Breaker
i finally saw the videos, Alissa i cant get into her skate except for spins and spirals but it was nice generally, Mirai:love: I love this program, especially the portions part.
Rachel.,,I honestly watched the program with no mood for comparison to anyone. Nice dress,-even the color works at the end, but if you low the music the skate is so clumsy, especially after the ina bauer I lost it. Plus the music is emotional that you would give a standing ovation even to Kevin Van den Perren skating to it, Lori very clever . But all emotion I had at the end was the thought that i m ten years older than when I first saw it skated.:(

Yeah, Seniorita, I was ready to give Rachael every chance, because I think she seems like a really nice and hardworking person, and I like on principle to support skaters with all kinds of styles. (Who wants cookie-cutter skaters?) But she was not inside the music at all. We've had talks all over the Forum about the advisability of skating to music that's strongly identified with another skater, and my conclusion is that a good skater can certainly make it work. Years ago, both Caryn Kadavy and Oksana Baiul skated to the Meditation from Massenet's Thais. The producers showed a side-by-side comparison, and it was tremendously effective. Oksana skated in her usual balletic style, with a lot of fluttery arms and stage ballet poses. Caryn, who was also ballet-trained, took a much simpler approach. You could easily admire and even love both. In this case, however, East of Eden did nothing special for Rachael. Her carriage and arm movements (especially in that lamentable footwork section) gave me no entry in the music. I'm glad she was in third place at the end of it, because her jumps were good, but she certainly deserved no higher, especially considering how good Mirai and Alissa were in their short programs.