Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

oleada

Record Breaker
Alithia, I disagree. If anything, I/K are lacking in political power with the Russian federation, as they finished behind R/T at Russian Nationls (which was totally fair given how both teams skated there). Tarasova has been really hard on them this season.

I love R/T...but their FD is lackluster and a poor program compared to how gorgeous their SD is. It doesn't show them off and they really lose you halfway through. A lot of of their point loss comes from low levels - I/K had 5 points on them in base value alone.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay. What is it with the cameraman? During a pairs/dancespin, I want to see both people and their entire bodies, okay? As hot as Natalie and Fabian are (and they are totally dirty thoughts hot), it's their entire bodies that need to be seen. Hated that he did it for every couple.

F/S: MASSIVELY disappointing. Wow. They looked very undertrained. I love this team, so it's depressing to see how much they've declined. I'm blaming the temperature, quite frankly.

K/K: Easily the best I've seen them skate. Couple minor errors didn't detract overall. They're an overrated team, but I can get behind this skate.

R/T: I quite like this team/program, but there was a little bit of roughness around the edges. I could see their scores dropping as the program went on as they minor mistakes seemed to pile up (the ones that hurt base level/GOEs)

I/K: This program does nothing for me, but they skated it fully. I've gotta give them credit - I don't entirely agree with the hype, but it's not completely foreign to me now either. Slightly overmarked (only one judge seemed to notice just how awkward the opening to the long lift was, and despite the gorgeous position she hits in the second part, it had an off exit; no way are they nine skaters yet).

B/S: GORGEOUS. I enjoyed it at CoC quite a bit, skipped their CoR performance due to the redacted field, but that was a beautiful skate. I have no problem with them outPCSing the Kerrs (in terms of interpretation and skating skills they are definitely ahead), but there were moments that just took my breath away - the opening lift is a stunner. I love how the costuming emphasizes their elegance and line. Slightly overscored, of course - they're not nine skaters either.

P/B: They deserved to win. I'm startled that the judges kept in close in the SD only to have the bigger gap here - I would've had it in reverse.

Anyone notice the similarities between now and 2007 Euros?

Gold: French team that hasn't medalled at a Euros/Worlds (Olympics) before; people wondered if they've been unfairly politicked down
Silver: Russian team newly positioned as the nation's number one
Bronze: Team from a fairly minor federation

I think the podium is exactly correct. Further down, I prefered R/T to F/S but the errors R/T made in levels/execution were clear. And check out Hurtado/Diaz. Stunning reverse lift TO OPEN!!!! Will they be at worlds? Because I need to see that again without motor-mouthed Italian commentators nattering.

oleada

Record Breaker
ImaginaryPogue, I'm glad you mentioned Hurtado/Diaz, because they were great and tons of fun. Their gender bender lift is a stunner. I don't know if they will be at Worlds, but I do think they'll be at least Junior Worlds if not. This was a great senior debut for them. They've progressed so much since I first saw them! It's awesome to see figure skating developing so well in Spain :)

ae9177

On the Ice
Yay Natalie and Fabia won! I'm so happy for them. They're late bloomers but their day finally came! Congratulations!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Yes, a very fine podium, IMO.
How many times have I said that P/B's programs are great for them ? I guess I can't say it enough..they give them a whole new dimension.:biggrin:

I've always liked B/S's FD , but I know some people found it bland. I wonder if they will now, with the costume change ? What a gorgeous dress..the colour, the cut ..yummy.( Definitely injected a bit of passion.) They gave the impression of skating with abandon , but he didn't abandon his twizzles.

I fell in love with the Kerr's program at Skate Canada , and was really hoping to see them be able to skate it properly this year. Glad to see she's fully recovered. It would have been so easy for the faster parts to get frantic, but they didn't.

That was the best I've seen I/K skate that program yet. I haven't checked back, but I think they now keep moving more through most of the cuts. That lift was quite scary to me, I was holding my breath... but the pose she strikes is very Don Quixote.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, the sextet from North America are really gonna have to bring their A-games to Worlds - it will be magnificent.

oleada, I've only seen Hurtado/Diaz once before, at Lake Placid JGP, but it was clear that they had interesting choreography and a fun sense of style. They don't have the greatest basics (see how much they slow down during the footwork), but they generate some sizzle on the ice (love that she does actually kiss him during the opening - right after the song goes "with a kiss!" - he had so much lipstick on his teeth at the end). They also need to improve their stamina (the last llift was laboured, espeecially in relation to the rest), but I do hope we get to see them at Worlds soon, and the Olympics as well.

oleada

Record Breaker
They had a really fun Arabian themed SD that year. Yeah, I really agree that they don't have their greatest basics - even if they are improved - but their personalities are fabulous and that's something you either have or you don't. I think it's great that they are brining ice dance to Spain. I hope to see them at the big competitions as well.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Elena Ilinykh is happy, because Lambiel, who is one of her idols, came to them, said they are his favorites and kissed Lena :laugh:

Kinga

Medalist
I enjoyed the German couple but didn't get the costumes.

I think that the costumes were supposed to be little cartonish in order to portray the characters from the music box.

Can someone explain me the low score of R&T? Did they lose some levels or is there something wrong with their FD in general? I saw only short fragment of it.

over the years I have seen a trend, especially since the fall of the USSR, Russian ice dancing teams get to the top far too quickly, then graduate with an olympic gold medal, then another Russian who looks a like a cheap knock off of the previous team, replaces them and takes their place on the podium, leaping over teams who have worked hard just to get in reaching distance of that top step. Then cycle repeats itself.

Even if it was like that sometimes, it does not mean that it ALWAYS has to be the same situation. All 3 top Russian dance teams have tones of potential and they are far from being wooden. I actually think, and many feel the same, that THEY ARE the breath of fresh air, compared to what was going on with Russian ice dance before (N&K, D&S). And if Russian federation is so not impressed with all 3 teams, but is impressed with K&A, why didnt they push K&A instead? I guess the answer is obvious...

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Even if it was like that sometimes, it does not mean that it ALWAYS has to be the same situation. All 3 top Russian dance teams have tones of potential and they are far from being wooden. I actually think, and many feel the same, that THEY ARE the breath of fresh air, compared to what was going on with Russian ice dance before (N&K, D&S). And if Russian federation is so not impressed with all 3 teams, but is impressed with K&A, why didnt they push K&A instead? I guess the answer is obvious...

They have been together 6 months and were 3rd in the Free Dance, they missed going to the European Championships by less than 2 points. All throughtout the championships, the media could not stop gushing about them especially, the new RF president, TT, and several higher ups. The Federation is fully funding their skating, is schedualed them to compete in two Senior B competitons, and they are slated for Grand Prix assignments. Yeah, I think it is pretty obvious, the federation is pushing and supporting them.

Russian nationals is going to show whether or not the federation politiked the hell out of this event (which I think they did) to prevent embarressment

tdnuva

On the Ice
I'm surprised this opening lift by Hurtado/Diaz of Spain has not been talked about. Awesome.

Hm. The Kerrs are doing similar lifts for years I'd say....

But OT: that's a RAI broadcast. And as we often complain about commentators talking during the routines now and then - DOES THIS PERSON STOP TO TALK AT ALL??????????

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
True, but the Kerrs never made it a scoring lift, whereas Hurtado/Diaz basically dare the judges not to be impressed - it was their highest scoring element, I think. The way they basically cannonball into the entry (the speed) and the hold make it pretty damn remarkable. That, and this was a senior debut for them. I'm hoping for top ten at World Juniors, but I have no idea what'll happen.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
But OT: that's a RAI broadcast. And as we often complain about commentators talking during the routines now and then - DOES THIS PERSON STOP TO TALK AT ALL??????????

I could tell this year was a lot better! they used to speak more :)
they were speaking a lot during Hurtado/Diaz, because broadcasting of the dance started with them and so they were introducing the competition...not an excuse, I know, but..

pattym

Spectator
First time watching RAI broadcast, and it was ten times better than what i've heard it to be! Yapping kept to a minimum (unlike SBS and CCTV) and i finally got to enjoy each skate without much interruption.

Tanja90

On the Ice
First time watching RAI broadcast, and it was ten times better than what i've heard it to be! Yapping kept to a minimum (unlike SBS and CCTV) and i finally got to enjoy each skate without much interruption.

They changed commentator..the one before didn't know anything of figure skating or just a little and really liked to talk talk talk..this year is a lot better!