Ladies - Long Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

Argentina is crying now, that's for sure. :cry:

Good one, Muse!

I just dropped in to this thread for the first time. Did I read it right, Sarah Meier won? Tremendous! I love her skating. I hope they show her at Worlds, and that she does really well. Can't wait to see her on YouTube.

Sarah, Carolina, and Kiira...this podium has a higher level of gorgeousness than the whole Miss America pageant did last week.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Sarah made a good present to all Switzerland and all her fans. I wish many skaters could make such present to a domestic audience like Sarah today, like Ira in Moscow or like Julia in Budapest.

Layfan

Record Breaker
sarah won?????? Sweet!

Congratulations to Carolina for coming back for a silver. Can't wait to see the vids.

I wonder if this will be Carolina's year to be back on the world' podium.

lavender

Record Breaker
Congrats to Sarah, Carolina, and Kiira. I like this podium. Glad Carolina made it.

Did Sarah decide that she didn't want to go to worlds or something?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Meir said in press conference that this is a high point in her carreer and she reached her limit and will retire.

oleada

Record Breaker
Sarah has had big problems with injury in the past few years and I'm sure the Olympics and the championships in Bern were probably the main reasons for staying in. This is a great way to bow out on a high.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh that was so wonderful! I just watched the video. Her reaction was priceless!!!! And such wonderful homeland elation. It's like Irina in Moscow only Sarah was so shocked. Heh.

Yey. I'm so happy for her!!!

And thanks for YLE tv for cutting to Stephane Lambiel looking all happy and hot.

roma

On the Ice
That was indeed a wonderful skate from Sarah plus her reaction in the Kiss and Cry made me want to cry. Her shocked and ecstatic face plus the jubilation of the crowd was amazing. And yeah, seeing Stephane was an added bonus.

Beautiful podium!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I found this to be a very poor competition. Japanese Nationals, Russian Nationals, and U.S. Nationals are all individually more exciting and display more talent than the whole of eligible Europe right now...

It's a great personal moment for Meier but I honestly thought her program and performance were completely forgettable. The podium placements were correct but I won't be revisiting any of these performances in the future (maybe Korpi's SP but that's about it).

mousepotato

On the Ice
I really wish some of these ladies would leave their comfort zone and come up with something we haven't seen from them before. Esp. after the Olympics.

beep_beep

Medalist
Just watched Meier's performance on Eurosport UK: the commentators had Scott Hamilton's levels of excitment :laugh:
I'll never get tired of re-watching it...

oleada

Record Breaker
I found this to be a very poor competition. Japanese Nationals, Russian Nationals, and U.S. Nationals are all individually more exciting and display more talent than the whole of eligible Europe right now...

It's a great personal moment for Meier but I honestly thought her program and performance were completely forgettable. The podium placements were correct but I won't be revisiting any of these performances in the future (maybe Korpi's SP but that's about it).

Yes, it wasn't the greatest competition, but sometimes, I think the moments are bigger than the skating itself. Here's a well loved veteran who is coming back from injury, who has come close but never won, skates clean at home and wins the big one while her countrymen cheer her on. Who can't love that story?

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yes, it wasn't the greatest competition, but sometimes, I think the moments are bigger than the skating itself. Here's a well loved veteran who is coming back from injury, who has come close but never won, skates clean at home and wins the big one while her countrymen cheer her on. Who can't love that story?

Yeah, It's hard not to agree with the Blades about the overall quality of the skating but at least there was a beautiful personal moment.

Besides, you can never count the European ladies out. Look at Laura last year at worlds. Sometimes I think the U.S. ladies have greater depth but _ where are the big results? I think the Eureo ladies are outside world medal contenders and so are the U.S. ladies for now.

Kinga

Medalist
OMG, my prediction about Sarah fighting her injuries back and coming back as a medal contender was right (yupi, a bit of personal satisfaction, when almost no one in the prediction thread mentioned her :))... I am so happppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. This was the best moment for me this season! I just officially hate Eurosport. They did not show ladies live and I missed this the most touching medal ceremony... :( Eurosport was happily filling their empty broadcast with figure skating during the week, but for the weekend they just abandoned it.

But other than Sarah victory, the competition was very poor... The silver medalist falls two times in short and once in long (althought her LP was ok, I still think she was overscored)... The bronze medalist has the most messy performance I have seen from her and she still manages to win the bronze (also, overscored in PCS).. No one else steps up with a good program to win the medal.
Personally, I would have
1. Sarah M
2 Ira Valnnut
3. Carolina Kostner
Ira did two spot on programes, and although she is not the most expressive (yet) and lacks certain maturity, she is fast, her elements are good, and her jumps were great. That is sport and I would reward her athletism. Looking at this splat fast I do not think she looked less interesting than other ladies. Definitely not worse than Korpi. Her LP was just painful to watch.

PS I loved this young Estonian girl.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Man, you really look for the silver lining, don't you? Don't worry, I agree, but Meier's elation is enough. I've always liked her and respected her guts (skating at the 2009 Worlds just to ensure that the Olympic spots would still be there despite injury).

Wierd to think she has a title that Lambiel himself doesn't, though.

Kinga

Medalist
Meier's elation is enough. I've always liked her and respected her guts (skating at the 2009 Worlds just to ensure that the Olympic spots would still be there despite injury).

Yes, she has always been very tough. I so much admire her for that!! Plus, she was robbed quite a few times, so this victory tastes even sweeter!!!