Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Mens - Long Program

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Boy bravo to Amodio to win his first Euros, but the Lp has 30 seconds stop, it is bizare to see him standin, it is not just a breathin point!
    Happy for Jouby and Tomas!!! what a come back for both! Joubert can medal when it counts!

arthur is just 17 in his first senior and he did pretty well, dont recall all your plushenko problems and tranfer them to him, ive him time to find his personal style.
    Last edited by seniorita; 01-30-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The only way a European will sneak in for bronze at Worlds is if the Japanese men all crash and burn badly under the pressure of being on home ice. I think Verner has the best shot still if he skates to his potential.
    I think Verner might have a shot IF he ditches his MJ FS and goes back to the Piazolla Tango one. He always got huge PCS with that program. I didn't mind his Godfather either but I realize he probably has some bad memories associated with that one. The MJ really just does him no favors. Love his SP though! Also nice to see him deliver again here and be able to medal. He seems happy but still hungry to do better at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Thanks, ImaginaryPogue, as well as everybody else that has provided links (much much appreciated by me)!

Now I can relax, sit back, and watch what I missed all day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It doesn't really matter why Amodio is doing it, the movement and performance quality and musical interpretation is exceptional. Chan can't do what Amodio does. Just as Amodio can't do what Chan does. They both deserve to score higher than each other in different areas. There are 5 Program Components and they all mean something different.
    Ok, so making angry face = musical interpretation! Got it! Memo to Chan, PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT! YOU ARE DOING JUST MORE THAN FINE!

And after watching Chan's program and BJ's LP...BJ's skate seems so slow...or maybe it's just me.

Custom Title
    OMG, finally watched Brian's "9th Symphony" FS just a minute ago and LOVE it! Doesn't even look like the same one he did earlier in the season, he has definitely improved by leaps & bounds! BRAVO, Brian Joubert, BRAVO!

That skate can easily medal at Worlds, even Gold if he doesn't put his hand down as he did on two jumps here, also most importantly he has to skate *clean* in both the SP & FS, not just one, whereas here he didn't skate clean in the SP, thus the reason why he finished 1st in the FS, but 2nd overall. Nevertheless, BRAVO!

I'm off to watch it again!

p.s. love the moment between Brian & Amodio, touching, wonderful, gorgeous, beautiful! (:^)

Banned
    Except not, because Chan's capacity for emoting is nowhere near as good as Amodio's and he doesn't have the same quality of movement in his limbs either. In his SP this year, Chan TRIES to do what Amodio does and he doesn't pull it off as well.

I am so very pleased with this result. Amodio has been by far the most interesting European guy this season. The interpretive quality of his LP is phenomenal and he moves like nobody else can.
    LOL nice joke. Amodio is promising, but Chan does EVERYTHING better than Amodio right now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    BRAVO, Brian Joubert, BRAVO!

That skate can easily medal at Worlds, even Gold if he doesn't put his hand down as he did on two jumps here, also most importantly he has to skate *clean* in both the SP & FS, not just one,
    Not quite.

Joubert's LP has a base value of 76.48 (TES) whereas Chan's is 83.33. His SP's TES base value is 36.5 and Chan's is 35.6 at Canadian Nationals but if he does a 3A as planned, it would be 40.8. So it's 112.98 vs 124.13 before GOEs and PCS. Joubert will be hard pressed to pass Chan alone. And then there are others, namely Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, and Abbott, all with better skills as well as better records this season. He's battling the likes of Amodio and Verner.

Odds are against Joubert on the podium, let alone winning Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    LOL nice joke. Amodio is promising, but Chan does EVERYTHING better than Amodio right now.
    Florent is much better in terms of musicality than Patrick Chan, and really better than anyone competing right now. That's innate - skaters can improve their interpretation, but a natural feel for music isn't something that can be taught. That having been said, he should get a competitive program to showcase his ability and leave the exhibition programs for galas.

Skatefiguring, you're obviously aware that base values change from competition to competition. I see no point in comparing Euros, Canadians, and hypothetical performances at Worlds. Sometimes the favorites live up to their billing and sometimes they don't. Remember how Dai was supposed to blow everyone away in 2008, and then proceeded to Zayak himself off the podium? Let's just hope for a good event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Florent is much better in terms of musicality than Patrick Chan, and really better than anyone competing right now. That's innate - skaters can improve their interpretation, but a natural feel for music isn't something that can be taught. That having been said, he should get a competitive program to showcase his ability and leave the exhibition programs for galas.
    I disagree completely. Making faces, posing, and dancing to the same beat is not more musical than emoting with whole body and moving with melodramatic music of complex tempos and emotions. Amodio being the most musical of all competing skaters is far from an acknowledged or majority opinion. At least not by the judges.

Skatefiguring, you're obviously aware that base values change from competition to competition. I see no point in comparing Euros, Canadians, and hypothetical performances at Worlds. Sometimes the favorites live up to their billing and sometimes they don't. Remember how Dai was supposed to blow everyone away in 2008, and then proceeded to Zayak himself off the podium? Let's just hope for a good event.
    That's what people do in the forum, discussing, dissecting and speculating. You may notice I have done various analyses and comparisons with data to calculate odds but I don't make prediction. I also study mindsets which I consider of utmost importance. Nobody can tell the actual results ahead. That's why there are actual competitions. Whether or not there is a point according to you, people - athletes and their teams, federations, fans, etc. - do research and compare data for various purposes, especially since COP scoring does facilitate such analyses.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Making faces, posing, and dancing to the same beat is not more musical than emoting with whole body and moving with melodramatic music of complex tempos and emotions.
    Chan doesn't emote with his whole body. Also, the statement "dancing to the beat" would inherently infer a greater amount of musicality than "moving with melodramatic music". The former talks about movement in time with the music, while the latter does not.

IMO, Chan hardly relates any complex emotions in his performance. Amodio, on the other hand, does. He brings sorrow, he brings solace, he brings anger, her brings sexuality, and he brings excitement. A far more full-bodied interpretation and performance than what Chan does, even if the Skating Skills and Transitions are not on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    That's what people do in the forum, discussing, dissecting and speculating. You may notice I have done various analyses and comparisons with data to calculate odds but I don't make prediction. I also study mindsets which I consider of utmost importance. Nobody can tell the actual results ahead. That's why there are actual competitions. Whether or not there is a point according to you, people - athletes and their teams, federations, fans, etc. - do research and compare data for various purposes, especially since COP scoring does facilitate such analyses.
    As you may see from my post count, I am hardly a newby and am well aware of how forums function. You seem to have missed my point, though, and I'll leave you to figure it out - maybe once you're done analyzing why Patrick Chan is perfection itself. I rarely post here these days, primarily because of people who think that unless you are 100% in agreement with them, you must be a moron. That's not a discussion, it doesn't interest me, and really, it makes GS much less fun.

Chan doesn't emote with his whole body. Also, the statement "dancing to the beat" would inherently infer a greater amount of musicality than "moving with melodramatic music". The former talks about movement in time with the music, while the latter does not. IMO, Chan hardly relates any complex emotions in his performance. Amodio, on the other hand, does. He brings sorrow, he brings solace, he brings anger, her brings sexuality, and he brings excitement. A far more full-bodied interpretation and performance than what Chan does, even if the Skating Skills and Transitions are not on the same level.
    Thank you, Blades, well put. I don't particularly like Amodio's choreography this season, but his natural musicality is, in my view, unparalleled among current men's skaters. I hope that eventually his choreography will become more demanding and allow him to truly shine.

Custom Title
    BOP, I have no wish to argue with you since you always exude absolute authority. I retain my very different opinions and am glad those with actual authority, and whose opionions count, do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    As you may see from my post count, I am hardly a newby and am well aware of how forums function. You seem to have missed my point, though, and I'll leave you to figure it out - maybe once you're done analyzing why Patrick Chan is perfection itself. I rarely post here these days, primarily because of people who think that unless you are 100% in agreement with them, you must be a moron. That's not a discussion, it doesn't interest me, and really, it makes GS much less fun.
    You are making assumptions about me and what I think.

Interestingly you then go on to exhibit such characterization youself.

Rinkside
    I think it's obvious that Chan is technically superior to Amodio, but to say he is more artistic as well is preposterous. Amodio relates to the audience in a way Chan can only dream of. I'm not saying Chan is expressionless or wooden, because he has his charm, but his skating is much more reserved than Amodio's--he doesn't have the same ability to immerse himself in the character he's playing, or to draw the audience into his performance. And yes, of course this is just my opinion--but it's an opinion more grounded in reality than the claim that Chan is more demosntrative or a better natural entertainer than Amodio.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I think you compare apples with oranges. Chan and Amodio are from another planet each.
    Chan is the best skater right now but he would not to Amodio´s program not even in a Gala to save his life. Motion wise.
    Nobody denies Chan has better ss but Amodio can dance and play the crowd on his fingers, regardless of MJ, I ve seen him in shows also, the boy has IT. His last year programs highlighted it also. With Morozov he has crap program but he flies, he is consistent and his jumps have improved A LOT, cant believe he is the same I was watching last season.

I dont know why Chan has to be better at anything in life, but for now lets say his skate is more politically correct. The emotional peak music and right choreo details can highlight his flow but he is not Verner or Brezina dancewise not even Amodio.
    Of course I m open to surprises.
    Buttercup I m thrilled to see you post here

Custom Title
    The big difference between Chan and Amodio? If given the opportunity to see them both off the ice, I'd chose Amodio. There's nothing special to him on the ice that wouldn't be better served off - his jumps notwithstanding. He's entertaining and awesome and feels the music (and I thought this last season with Munich and Amelie, so I'm not a jonny-come-lately here), but I get the feeling that an off-ice Amodio would be better in terms of musicality/interpretation/performance. He doesn't use skating in any particularly unique ways. Chan is the opposte. Nothing he does that he does well can be replicated off the ice. I could just watch him ride the edges. I don't mean to diminish' Amodio's competitive vigour or the sheer showmanship.

Buttercup, I'm not quite sure I agree he's the most musical skater out there. Abbott and Takahashi last season I think were equally musical and more "skating," off the top of my head. Kozuka in the SP last season as well.

I disagree with Nadine's contention that Joubert can win Gold, though. He's got a mountain to make up on PCS alone (Chan's lowest PCS this seaon eclipses Brian's highest) and his best skate this season is still behind so many other skaters. Of course what Buttercup says is right - ice is slippery and who knows what can happen.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 01-30-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast